My memory issues , partly solved

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

My memory issues , partly solved

Postby silencedk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:58 am

Hi
I was constantly fiddling around with the settings inside FSX to find the balance between nice looking, and not getting the "out of memory error".
Using the process explorer I was constantly getting very close to the magic 4GB usage, and even with everything on low settings, I would use around 3.5 - 3.9 GB

What pussled me was that without the rift I could run with everything maxed out, and getting pretty solid framerate. I wondered, did the rift really have such and impact? Framerate I could accept , but why the memory usage?

I then turned my attention to the fly-inside settings and turned my setting down from "high" to "standard" with antialiasing at ultra. Just at that point I realised that my settings all the time had been at high. Suddenly my memory usage dropped to 2.1 GB, and I had framerates of +50 (timewarp always a solid 75/76).
I can now run FSX with ALL settings at MAX (only AI traffic, is set somewhat lower). Memory usage is jyst shy of 3GB only now :) on all sceneries.

YES , there is a drawback.
it does some impact on the readabillity of the instruments on the dash, but for purely VFR experience, the scenery is absolutely stunning this way.

So if you're gonna fly around in a small GA aircraft and want to enjoy the scenery, go for "standard" setting, max everything out in FSX and enjoy.
If you are gonna fly IFR in 30.000 feet, go for high and and turn all the FSX setting down.

System
Intel i7 - 4.0 ghz 16gb ram
Geforce GTX 760 2gb
silencedk

Re: My memory issues , partly solved

Postby Tony » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:11 am

Hi mate , what runtime do you use ? Dan states that the 0.5.0.1 is easier on memory.

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby silencedk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:28 am

I'm Using 0.6.0.1
The other games I'm using run signifacantly better on 0.6 , so i didnt wanna switch back and forth. I might give that a try!
What will happen friday when 0.7 is realeased? will it be compatible? Or will Daniel have to rewrite a lot of code i wonder.
silencedk

Postby Robert » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 am

Don't know what changes will be in 0.7 aside from no more extended mode, but Oculus has said that apps built against it will only work one rev back so 0.6 runtime should work but not 0.5. Dan is already supporting 0.5 and 0.6 so when 0.7 comes out he may (totally his call) want to drop the 0.5 branch if it gets to be a lot of work to back port the new features.

It's really in our interest to move forward too since Oculus is targeting a 1.0 release later this year in preparation for the consumer model. Who knows what range of runtimes will work with the CV? I'd bet it's a good chance it won't work too far back but I sure don't know if that's true or to what level. Depending on the firmware it may have to have 1.0.

But even if Dan stops updating the 0.5 branch, the FSX and P3D versions for 0.5 will keep working for those still on 0.5 runtime for whatever reason.

Thanks for the report on memory! I may try another run at 0.6.0 since I've been stuck on 0.5.0.1.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby admin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Super interesting observation! I'm going to investigate the memory impact of the AA setting immediately.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby richardf » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 am

Maybe the whole problem is in the software that you are using for that issue? If I were at your place, I would try to use this program https://yumdownload.com/process-explorer because this is a time-tested software, which personally I use for a long period of time.
richardf

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here