FSX with Vive - timewarp fps frequently dips to 86-89

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FSX with Vive - timewarp fps frequently dips to 86-89

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:16 am

I've been using FlyInside from its very beginning, and lately mostly with XP11, but a few months ago (around the time of 1.7) when I tried using it with FSX I noticed very frequent dips in the timewarp framerate a few frames under 90, while the FSX framerate was good (never below 40s, sometime even in the hundreds). Now today I thought I'd try again as I'm planning to go back to FSX to enjoy a bit of Firefigther X, but I'm bumping into the exact same issue with the latest beta version too.

At first I tried FSX on my old win 7 session (dual boot win 7 / 10) and the problem occurred, so I thought "ok, finally time to move on and to install FSX SE on win 10 from scratch)". So I spend my afternoon doing that, fresh first install of FSX SE on win 10, fresh install of FlyInside (latest beta), and unfortunately I still had the same issues with framerates around 120/86-90 during my test session. Those dips create stutters and make it unplayable for me.

Does that sounds familiar to anyone? Not sure where to get started to diagnose that. Note that I had none of these issues with XP10 and XP11 which are butter smooth with FlyInside.

That's on a HTC Vive, i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080. SteamVR settings are on asynchronous timewarp - that's what works best with other games, but is this potentially the issue (note that it's not an issue with X-Plane though)?
FlyingMonkey

Re: FSX with Vive - timewarp fps frequently dips to 86-89

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:07 am

OK, so I spent the whole afternoon and evening trying to fix that in vain. I've uninstalled the latest beta, then tried old versions (some like 1.6 won't launch anymore) with no changes, I still get these drops and stutters every few seconds sometimes, and even in the menus - I launched FlyInside XP to check and it was all good there, none of that stuff.

Then I tried all setting possible, async timewarp off and interleaved retroprojection on, both off, retroprojection always on, none of that made any difference. This afternoon I also updated my nvidia drivers, both on win 7 and win 10, no difference. It's so frustrating but I'm running out of ideas now and it's clear that FSX is now unplayable in VR for me. And I can't even contemplate uninstalling it and going for Prepar3d instead after spending the whole arvo re installing some of FSX.
FlyingMonkey

Re: FSX with Vive - timewarp fps frequently dips to 86-89

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:30 am

So I've tried prepar3d v3.4 too and I get the same issues despite brilliant fps. In fact what happens is that I either get extra smooth results with the lowest resolution setting in FlyInside, and with that I can crank up many settings, including MSAA etc, and it stays smooth, or I try going for higher resolutions and I get stutters/judders frequenly (ie 1-3 small judders once per minute, sometime down to every 30s or less in a cluster) despite lowering settings and having high fps in prepar3d. That's in contrast with XP11 where I struggle pushing the fps past 40-50 but have solid 90fps for the timewarp and not a single judder at the higher resolution setting in FlyInside. That's also in contrast with pre 1.7 versions where I used to have an extra smooth experience at high resolutions. I'm out of ideas though, I've even moved from one SSD to another in case that was it, but no matter what I try I get the same result.
FlyingMonkey

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here