Low FPS with decent hardware

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Low FPS with decent hardware

Postby Red Squirrel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Guys,

I run a GTX 1080 and a Xeon e3 1230 v3 with 16 GB of RAM - I understand that this is not top notch but ok for VR - but I just can´t get decent FPS playing XPlane 10 with FlyInside (Windows 10 System). I get something between 17 and 24 FPS and very noticable stuttering, that makes Helos (thats what I´m flying mostly) pretty unflyable especially near the ground. Funnily, turning down the FPS intensive settings in XPlane and/or FI doesn´t make much of a difference. And CPU and GPU seem to be almost bored as I get load readings of around 25 % with relatively high settings (and around 17 % with low settings, but there is no real difference in FPS). After searching the forum here I have checked that the NVIDIA driver and my XPlane Version (10.51 r 2) is up to date and I have tried to use FI Version 1.7.1 (as there is a post that 1.8 might have performance issues), no changes.

On flat screen, I get FPS in the mid forties. DCS runs smoothly (but I would really love to fly somewhere else but Caucasus and Nevada desert).

It would be just great if anyone has a suggestion how to fix that, from what I see on the forum people with a comparable rig get good performance...

Thank you so much!
Red Squirrel

Re: Low FPS with decent hardware

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi mate and welcome :) Are you planning to upgrade your CPU anytime soon ? You'll need a good single core performance with VR and XP.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Red Squirrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Toni,

full 3 minutes until I get your answer? What took you so long... :D

Seriously, I´very impressed (and while we are at it: The simmer community cant thank you guys enough for bringig out this product so we can have a full VR experience in our favorite games; there is just no way back to 2 D once you have put on a VR Set in a flight simulator).

My technical knowledge when it comes to computers is rather limited (which is not very handy for a hobby like flight sim...) but with a bit of googeling I understand that XPlane (like DCS) just uses one core of the CPU, so that the overall performance is rather low, but just because one of the guys is working his butt off whilst the others take a brake (just like in real life...). I found a thing called recource manager (if thats the correct englisch term, my Windows is in German) actually showing that one of the cores is running 80 to 100 % and the others under 10 % (funny that the manager shows 8 cores , I thought it has only 4...), so you seem to have found the culprit. There seems to be a similar problem with the RAM, there is 8 GB "reserved RAM" which is used 90 to 100 % and most of the remaining 8 GB are not doing much (I´ll do some googleing to sort this out).

I´ll talk to our local computer shop what my upgrade options are.

The good news is, I have downloaded the XPlane 11 trial and that runs actually better, I get FPS in the lower half of 20, not great, but playable...

So thanks again, that was very helpful.
Red Squirrel

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm

If your budget allows go for the I7-7700K and a good new motherboard :)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Greyman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

or wait until November 1st and go for the 8700k :)
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Tony » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Greyman wrote:or wait until November 1st and go for the 8700k :)

What my pocket money is being saved for :)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Red Squirrel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Sounds like one of those Xmas presents you buy for yourself...(or the Homer Simpson X Mas move: when he bought Marge the bowling ball (of course with his name engraved...))
Red Squirrel

Return to Oculus Rift CV1