XP11 FI Stuck at waiting for simulator

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: XP11 FI Stuck at waiting for simulator

Postby eclipsed830 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 am

Uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything with the latest updates and it's still doing it. :( Changed all the settings to low and it didn't make a difference... when I run Xplane 11 in non-VR mode it'll play fine with everything on max settings. FSX still works perfectly fine.
CPU: i7 4770k@4.4ghz Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO Ram: 32gb Kingston DDR3 HyperX Beast@2400MHz GFX: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW, EVGA GeForce GTX 780 OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition 64-bit VR: HTC Vive
eclipsed830

Postby jazAero » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am

I have the same issue I have not yet gotten fly inside to work with X plane 11, It just hangs After the simulator starts. There is no video in my headset but the head tracking is working because I can see it on the monitor. I've tried it with SLI on and off no difference..

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4 GHz,
G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 32 Gigabytes ,
Samsung Evo 850 1TB SSD
2 x EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8 GB SLI
4monitors (3x 24 inch 1080P's connected to Matrox triple head to go digital addition), and 1x 27 inch 2K 2560x1440
HTC Vive

X plane 11 Beta 16
fly inside 1.73
jazAero

Postby Tony » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Both previous posters - disable SLI and see if it starts ?

And the other chap, still on Win 8.1 If your problem persists we can try teamviewer with Dan to see if we can get you up and running ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby jazAero » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Tony wrote:Both previous posters - disable SLI and see if it starts ?

And the other chap, still on Win 8.1 If your problem persists we can try teamviewer with Dan to see if we can get you up and running ?

Tony, please reread my post, I have tried it both with SLI on and off and it makes no difference my brother has the exact same issue he has dual 1080 Cards Not Running in SLI.

Too many people are having this issue. In my brother's case His "waiting for simulator" button Is always grayed out. But head tracking seems to work fine which he can view in the desktop screen.

We are currently running Xplane 11 RC1 Fly inside version 1.73 Trial versions For Xplane 11 (We purchased the FSX version) But have no intention of purchasing the software Again if it's not going to work. Can you provide Us With a list of default settings Both for fly inside and for xplane 11 that are known to work ?

The documentation for fly inside leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to describing the settings and functionality For Xplane 11 or if they even differ from the two simulators That actually are mentioned In the documentation.
jazAero

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 pm

I can post as many settings as you want but everyone will get different mileage. Even someone with Identical machines can get different experiences, ask me how I know ;) I seem to remember back a ways when someone had triple head 2 go and this didn't work properly with Flyinside. Can you or have you tried with one monitor with a GPU plugged into the Headset direct via HDMI or whichever adaptor you use. Does FSX work correctly with your triple head to go set up ?

Try this for XP11 and Flyinside. = GPU connected to one monitor and your Vive, "Windowed mode" in XP11 drop down settings and "Forward with 3D cockpit". And SLI disabled (which I know you have tried) And if you have the triple head to go box ticked on the settings page then untick that.

If you still have problems then Dan is more than happy to connect to your PC with Teamviewer to troubleshoot it for you. He is away until Thursday but I will let him know if you are interested in this course of action ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby jazAero » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Okay people here is A workaround we discovered please respond with your results. My brotherAnd I Were having the same problem And did some extensive testing, here is what we found.

If anyone wants to duplicate what we did and report the results please do so

Here is the procedure we used
First Start fly inside as usual

when X plane loads and you are stuck at the screen where your head tracking works but you have no image in the Vive headset at this point go into your Xplane settings screen and under graphics Selection Move all sliders to the leftmost position making sure that they turn white and not gray Make sure you are not Drawing any shadows, make sure you have no Parked aircraft.

Click Done

When Xplane is finished reconfiguring And Reloads its graphics it then appeared inside the Vive.
But it appeared very dark

Once that happened
We went back into the Xplane graphics settings
and began incrementally Increasing the sliders one At a time until we found the ones that were giving us problems

we were able to move the sliders To their maximum positions while maintaining the Vive display all except Reflection detail We left that one in its minimum position

The visual effects slider once moved Into HDR or HDR + SSAO Will restore the brightness levels
after we did this the program Worked normally And the Vive headset was also displaying the simulator.

We don't know why this works but we tried it several times on two different machines with the same results. Now we both are running 1070 and 1080 graphics cards SLI disabled
There seems to be Some correlation between the visual effects slider and the reflection detail slider you might have to play with those two to get the headset To function at a decent quality display setting.

So please let us know what you find and Tony Please take note.
Last edited by jazAero on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazAero

Postby jazAero » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Tony wrote:I can post as many settings as you want but everyone will get different mileage. Even someone with Identical machines can get different experiences, ask me how I know ;) I seem to remember back a ways when someone had triple head 2 go and this didn't work properly with Flyinside. Can you or have you tried with one monitor with a GPU plugged into the Headset direct via HDMI or whichever adaptor you use. Does FSX work correctly with your triple head to go set up ?

Try this for XP11 and Flyinside. = GPU connected to one monitor and your Vive, "Windowed mode" in XP11 drop down settings and "Forward with 3D cockpit". And SLI disabled (which I know you have tried) And if you have the triple head to go box ticked on the settings page then untick that.

If you still have problems then Dan is more than happy to connect to your PC with Teamviewer to troubleshoot it for you. He is away until Thursday but I will let him know if you are interested in this course of action ?

Thank you for the offer Tony. I have posted a follow-up on some interesting results we received while doing some extensive testing. My brother and I have a combined 60+ years of computer experience! :-) I myself am retired from the industry As a technical support service manager And Former director of technology. My brother is A retired electronics technician. And we both have been running Xplane since Austins first public version.. As a matter of fact we bought our first computer in 1978 to run a flight simulator :-) On occasion I have even Helped Ben Supnick troubleshoots Some issues years ago.

I mention this only because were pretty good at running tests and determining cause-and-effect. But with neither one of us being programmers is difficult to know where to start sometimes. But we have found a workaround that at least for Us, Has worked every time to solve the issue. So I posted the instructions on what we did in the hopes that others can try it and post Their results. the more information you have To work with the more you can narrow down the root cause.. ( which were still not sure of but believe it relates to reflection detail and visual effects settings)
jazAero

Re: XP11 FI Stuck at waiting for simulator [SOLVED]

Postby Logicle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for doing the hard work, jazAero, that is exactly what solved the problem, and I appreciate your testing background :)

Short version: Dial back settings that enable HDR/UHD rendering that require HDMI versions > 1.4. No need to dial everything else down.

As a video game developer, I can make an educated guess as to why this happened (and maybe FlyInside devs can detect this situation):

When HDR is enabled over HDMI, it demands more of the HDMI connection (UHD/HDR need at least HDMI 2.0). Most headsets are not suited for it. My PS4 Pro absolutely refuses to report any UHD/HDR capabilities to my TV when routed through my PSVR.

I could be wrong about it, but if that is the case, there may be a way for FlyInside to detect this situation and do something sensible for the user. It could display a recommendation in the VR pre-game, or dial-back the capabilities automatically for games it hijacks.

Best regards :D
Logicle

Previous

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019