Cockpit Readability

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Cockpit Readability

Postby MartinW » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Just want to ask, am I the only person that cannot read the cockpit?

I'm using the XP-11 default Cessna 172. I can see the standard 6 dials fine but when it comes to anything else such as the whole GPS / FMS on the right it's just unreadable without using the zoom button. By the time I've done that not only has it broken the immersion but with the blue dot interaction being pretty painful I'm usually in grave danger of spiralling out of control by the time I've managed to activate the next segment or anything like that.

I'm basically about to pack VR away again and in all likelihood go with a physical multi-screen setup instead.

My setup is in my sig but to summarise I'm on Skylake, GTX-1080, plenty of RAM and plenty of NVME SSD. I just don't think the Rift resolution is up to it.

If someone swears that can read the computer and enter their flight plan etc., without zooming in then I'd love for them to share their settings and if i'm in the minority the maybe my headset is faulty? I have a strong suspicion that I'm far from alone however.
System: i7 6700k, 4.2ghz | 32gb DDR4 | GTX1080 | Asus GeneVIII | 500GB M2.SSD | 2TB Hybrid | W1064
VR: Oculus Rift CV1. Leap Motion.
SIM: P3D, FSX, XP11, Saitek Yoke, Throttle & Trim wheel, CH Pro Pedals
MartinW

Re: Cockpit Readability

Postby 3MonitorsToo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:53 am

I share your frustration with reading cockpit instruments.
I'm afraid it's due to the limitation of the current hardware we are using.

However, this may be of some help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6XrWW5kU44

Steven.
ASROCK Z97 Extreme6 - i7 4970K - 32Gb ram - GTX 980Ti - Windoze 7 pro - Nvidia driver 385.69
Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch controllers. Inateck KTU3FR-4P.
3MonitorsToo

Postby MartinW » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 pm

I've seen that video but it doesn't help - is it yours?

The Oculus debug tool oversampling doesn't appear to have any effect in Fly Inside - I think that is correct as FI is already oversampling if you set it at the maximum you can go in the UI (I've also tried going higher in the INI file. It hurt my frame rates but didn't help with the cockpit). The rest of the settings either already match mine or mine would be better anyway. And one of the settings there, monitor FPS, the video says "Unlimited of course". Well, unless it's me that's got completely the wrong end of the stick, as far as I know that is the FPS of the of the display on the computer screen. So I set that to 1FPS. I'm not looking at it so I don't care what it's doing. Just for giggles I set it to unlimited and it made no difference whatsoever to the view inside the HMD which is what I would expect, so I put it back.

Sadly I think it's time to give up again until we see what Laminar's native offering is like. It looked good from the video but he was using a Vive so there's always a danger that some of the touch interaction at least is lost in the conversion to Rift.
System: i7 6700k, 4.2ghz | 32gb DDR4 | GTX1080 | Asus GeneVIII | 500GB M2.SSD | 2TB Hybrid | W1064
VR: Oculus Rift CV1. Leap Motion.
SIM: P3D, FSX, XP11, Saitek Yoke, Throttle & Trim wheel, CH Pro Pedals
MartinW

Postby 3MonitorsToo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:04 pm

MartinW wrote:I've seen that video but it doesn't help - is it yours?.

No.
ASROCK Z97 Extreme6 - i7 4970K - 32Gb ram - GTX 980Ti - Windoze 7 pro - Nvidia driver 385.69
Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch controllers. Inateck KTU3FR-4P.
3MonitorsToo

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019