Reason For Poor Performance

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Reason For Poor Performance

Postby William57 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 am

I have discovered the reason for poor performance in X-Plane 11.
The reason in simple it is because FlyinsideXP is primarily a single threaded process it is using mostly only a single core and this can be verified in MSI Afterburner with all but one core at idle.
I couldn't figure out why when displaying performance mode in the Oculus tray tool I was getting a high unused performance but it was dropping frames like crazy.
It because it's running on a single thread and is not multi thread optimized.

Hopefully in future updates it will be fixed.
William57

Re: Reason For Poor Performance

Postby Greyman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:10 am

As far as I can tell, most software, not just XP, is still developed for single threaded use, even though, as you say, that doesn't make full use of the processor. There is even more powerful potential, within the GPU, especially for AI-type calculations and the ability to add a further "Gpu" for non-graphic calculations would add massive computing power.

I suspect that most developers are reluctant to take advantage of this potential, because it adds to the complexity and thus would make the development and maintenance of the program potentially more costly and thus less profitable.

However, as time moves on, as the search for faster frame rates increases and hopefully as developer confidence increases, I expect that this apparent reluctance will be overcome and we might get 90fps, or more, plus even more immersive experiences
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Stevil » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 am

William57 wrote:I have discovered the reason for poor performance in X-Plane 11.
The reason in simple it is because FlyinsideXP is primarily a single threaded process it is using mostly only a single core and this can be verified in MSI Afterburner with all but one core at idle.
I couldn't figure out why when displaying performance mode in the Oculus tray tool I was getting a high unused performance but it was dropping frames like crazy.
It because it's running on a single thread and is not multi thread optimized.

Hopefully in future updates it will be fixed.

Try the tool "Process Lasso" that one nice guy of our community recommended. It will at least give you the chance to distribute the program tasks to several CPU cores. No true multithreading of one task but still an improvement!

BR
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby VAL067 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 am

What he said :mrgreen: ..Process Lasoo is the way to go to get all available cores doing the job.
VAL067

Return to XP11 Bug Reporting Here *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019