Latest Oculus runtime (PLEASE READ 16th Jan 2018)

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Latest Oculus runtime (PLEASE READ 16th Jan 2018)

Postby fenflame » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Guys,

There is a major incompatibility with Rift and lastest Nvidia drivers. I sent a message to Dan regarding this. It creates a whole bunch of issues inside FI which are not related to FI.

You have to go back a couple of versions. Read the big red box on this page: https://support.oculus.com/

Honestly, unless you are using your machine for other more modern games, I'd stick with a solid Nvidia driver and don't be in the beta program for Oculus. Rift Core is absolutely no use whatsoever to us and currently just creates problems. Eventually it may be useful for a more unified controller interface, but right now unless you spend your time in Oculus home with controllers you benefit nothing.

In fact if you start FI after a machine reboot, the latest Oculus software with rift core doesn't get loaded up in time for the simulator. You have to start Oculus manually before FI.

The Nvidia driver version I rolled back to dates from spring last year and is rock solid. Some people tend to 'driver chase' with Nvidia because they release new drivers every two weeks. Its very rare a driver update does anything to otimize our experience in FI, it does is adds more bloat with code that is only relevant for certain new games. Roll back to an older stable driver, click advanced during the installation and uncheck 'Nvidia Experience' . There's not much we can do about the Oculus updates automatically happening apart from not participating in the public beta channel and currently unchecking 'Rift Core'. I detest being force fed updates and useless features when I have an already stable system.

Alan.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Postby glider1001 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks. I agree I detest it too. You can block oculus updates with the windows firewall if you are not interested in buying games from their store. I've had the simulator off all updates for a few months now (blocked updates to windows 10 too). It has been a wonderful experience having a stable system without outside interference.
glider1001

Postby Greyman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 am

It's up to you of course, but I'd be a little nervous about blocking Windows updates. Most of those will be security updates, to block known threats, and a stable system might not be what you get if you fall foul of one of them.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 am

I have my win updates set to offer me updates so I can pick and choose. So I agree with Greyman, be careful as you need some security ones ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Pete_H » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I've been tearing my hair out for about a month now trying to get FlyInside working after the Oculus Core 2.0 update, following which I get extreme stutters which make the sim unusable.

I know there is an issue with Oculus Core 2.0 and Nvidia (even though I've not opted in to Core 2.0), but having spent the past 4 hours rolling back from the 390, to 388, to 387, to 386 series Nvidia drivers, with the stuttering issue still being present with all of them, I think I can rule out Nvidia as the cause.

I also get some very strange behaviour regarding active windows - if P3D is the active window then the stutters are present, but if I make any other window the active window (e.g. file explorer or task manager), my GPU usage doubles and the stutters disappear. Re-selecting P3D as the active window then halves the GPU usage and the stutters reappear.

P3D runs fine without FlyInside, as do all my other VR apps, as do all my other games - it's only FlyInside that this issue shows up in (which was working perfectly before the most recent Oculus update).

Can Dan please confirm if there is indeed an issue with FlyInside and the latest Oculus update?

Many thanks,

Pete
Pete_H

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 am

Hi Pete I'll forward this to him mate.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Pete_H » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Just an update on my stuttering issue - I have managed to solve it. Turns out it was actually two separate issues, which is why the resolution was so hard to find.

Firstly, the stuttering was caused by me having enabled game mode for P3D, which works fine with P3D by itself, but causes really bad stuttering when using FlyInside. Disabling game mode made things smooth again.

Secondly, I was having random Rift disconnects/dropouts due to the fact that I have recently added a third monitor to my desk, meaning both HDMI and both DP ports on my GTX 1060 are occupied, which apparently is known to cause issues with display disconnects on the 10 series cards. Unplugging one of the monitors solved this one.

So I can now confirm that FlyInside does indeed work fine with the latest Oculus update. Sorry if I wasted Dan's time having him look into an issue that was nothing to do with FlyInside!

Pete
Pete_H

Postby Tony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:25 pm

He has been scratching his head a bit lol, Thanks mate. I'll let him know ;)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Previous

Return to FlyInside General Discussion