Remove the Goggles to see my hands?

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Remove the Goggles to see my hands?

Postby Laserjim » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:37 pm

The cockpit I'm planning will have a 180-degree wrap-around screen if necessary, unless I can make an Oculus work to give me the same effect. Would prefer that option if I can find out if I have to remove the goggles every time I need to use my hands (e.g. use a keyboard to tap the "G" key on FSX to raise/lower the gear).
Main reason I want either option is so I can see my wingtips in a sailplane. "Track IR" (been using it for 10 years) Does some of that, but I'm thinking Oculus might do it better, and cheaper than a wrap-around system.

Any thoughts?
Laserjim

Re: Remove the Goggles to see my hands?

Postby JacquesBrel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:51 am

Most keyboards have small plastic bits on the F and J key so they can be located by touch and your hands can be placed in the correct typing position without looking.

If you cannot find the keys you need to press without looking, then you would obviously need to raise the headset a little to be able to look at your keyboard.

Another option would be to use a HOTAS joystick, as these are designed to be operated without having to look in order to find the buttons/switches you need.

Another option would be voice activation software like VoiceAttack, where you can use voice commands to trigger keypresses.
JacquesBrel

Postby mnesys » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am

Hi,

I use a AutoHotKey script to have a visual keyboard that send keystroke directly to FSX. (just need to import it as virtual window in FI and the keyboard appears floating in my cockpit)

script is here: http://toxocafe.com/visual-KB-for-FSX.ahk (need to run as administrator, that's why I give the source and not a compiled script, so you can see that nothing is harmfull in the scirpt)
AutoHotKey can be found by Google.

it is not complete, and AZERTY but can easily be adapted for any needs. (standard visual KB won't work, because FSX is not the active window when you click on the FI virtual window)
mnesys

Postby rumble » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Laserjim wrote:The cockpit I'm planning will have a 180-degree wrap-around screen if necessary, unless I can make an Oculus work to give me the same effect. Would prefer that option if I can find out if I have to remove the goggles every time I need to use my hands (e.g. use a keyboard to tap the "G" key on FSX to raise/lower the gear).
Main reason I want either option is so I can see my wingtips in a sailplane. "Track IR" (been using it for 10 years) Does some of that, but I'm thinking Oculus might do it better, and cheaper than a wrap-around system.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts...

Honestly, Laserjim, please try and test out the CV1 before you purchase.
By the sounds of it you are a "serious" simmer and as such you might be disappointed very fast.

The graphics are very low resolution/ fuzzy and very quickly noticeable.
Sure it's great fun at first, but it is still really just a toy and after a week or two you might find the interest waning.

I'd stick with your original idea.

The Oculus is great fun...but like a kaleidoscope it's fun is fleeting.
But for yourself.. please try and find somewhere to try the CV1 or whatever you are getting, before purchasing it.

All the best !
rumble

Postby Greyman » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:02 am

True, the current set of headsets does not have the same resolution as the current monitors and I would definitely agree that trying before buying is a good idea, but before laying out a significant amount of cash on let's call it a non-VR is pit, you might want to wait and see what the next generation of VR headsets brings.

Personally, I have already gone down the VR route and the immersion that brings makes be very happy that I did. I don't have either the dedicated space or the wish to be tied to one type of aircraft and the fact that you can't see your physical controllers helps the switch between aircraft, even though you can feel them and perhaps still feel the need to change their positions so that the joystick/yoke and throttles mimic those in the aircraft you are flying at the time.

Since I was a boy, and believe me, that is a long time ago, I had dreamed about sitting at the controls of planes like the 747 and VR makes that dream just about as real as I could get.

I am expecting that the next generation of headsets, whether from Oculus, HTC or another manufacturer, will make that dream seem even more like real life. With anticipated 4K or even greater resolution screens and technologies like foveated rendering and ray tracing in the offing, we could be in for a very exciting time.

At the end of the day, it is your choice and your cash, but if you can wait you might want to consider likely future developments rather than just basing your decision on current offerings.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby malexdu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:56 am

You have an alternative...Leap Motion. This hardware and software add on works in conjunction with your VR headset.Again try before you buy is excellent advice. This gives you your hands visual in the cockpit to interact with most of the controls, throttles and switches. Caution...not all aircraft are compatible. As per VR this is still a developing technology. I use the Vive and a physical yoke and trim. Everything else is virtual. There is a price to pay as per the comments above, especially the graphics resolution, but for me the VR experience and actually sitting in the cockpit is worth the trade off and for now...as real as it gets!
Malexdu

Win 10 (64 bit) / i7-8700K @ 5.0 mhz / 32mb RAM / Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti / P3Dv4.5 / HP Reverb Pro Headset /AS & ASCA /Flyinside P3D4 1.98 / Too much Orbx Scenery /
malexdu

Postby Laserjim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:15 am

Thanks to all of you, for your excellent advice and suggestions. I will keep you posted on the developments, and certainly explore the links you offered.
As the old Army Air Corps used to say, back in the 40's, "Keep 'em Flying!" :-)
Laserjim

Return to FlyInside General Discussion