Wow, no FlyInside Progress in 6 months

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Wow, no FlyInside Progress in 6 months

Postby Derek Speare » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 pm

I want to volunteer to beta test!
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Stevil » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 am

Derek Speare wrote:I want to volunteer to beta test!

The new v1.9 is OUT! https://flyinside-fsx.com/News

Looking forward to some feedback from you guys!

Best regards and have a nice weekend
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby pracines » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Conceit wrote:
admin wrote:I'd say it's pretty unfair to call the software abandon-ware. In the past six months we've released FlyInside 1.81 (a huge number of fixes), added Prepar3D v4 support, and gotten X-Plane 11.10 working (huge rendering changes). You'll see a major update in December as well.

Hey Dan, thanks for the long reply. I see valid points in all the things that you said, except the one quoted above, which I find quite wrong. It was a very clear statement of the dev-team, here on the forums, that all those "ports" to different simulators are independent products. There were a lot of users - me included - who asked for a discount for buying multiple versions of FlyInside, and this request was always denied with the argument that these independent products, developed by mostly independent teams, require independent payment. Ok, that was clearly communicated, understandable, fair, and I could accept that.

Now, when I call the product that I payed for "abandon-ware", as this independent product showed no update progress or any communicated future plans for 6 months, there's only one unfair thing about it: The argument, that the devs all worked on some of the other independent products, but not mine.

This is a very good and valid point, I totally agree.

This was written on December 5th and still no response on December 21st, more than 2 weeks. No response, because there can be no valid response to such correct, just, and true facts.

With this information the Flyinside company should re-evaluate the pricing structure to fit the business structure. Lets see what happens...I will be watching closely to see if the right thing is done.
Paul Racines

Win 10 64bit | Z97 Pro | i7 4790 4.6GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling | 16GB RAM | GTX 980 | Oculus Rift
1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
pracines

Postby Tony » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm

And what response would you like Paul ? Updates are out. People are being helped with errors and problems daily. What exactly are you after ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby pracines » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:23 am

Tony wrote:And what response would you like Paul ? Updates are out. People are being helped with errors and problems daily. What exactly are you after ?

Hi Tony, thank you for your questions, I hope I can explain myself well enough.

Conceit was clear in his post that his problem was not solved, and there was no response in the thread at all concerning the pricing structure and support structure point that he made.

I quote:

'there's only one unfair thing about it: The argument, that the devs all worked on some of the other independent products, but not mine.'

My reason for posting is, I want to be a FlyInside customer, but with threads like this, I look for a satisfied customer, and I never saw conceit reply that 1.9 solved his issue. But even more problematic, I never saw any flyinside team member directly reply to his valid point.

I evaluate a business/product based on things just like this. What I'm after is the satisfactory explanation/resolution to situations such as this. Where somebody who questions methods/procedures that most others will not (whether not smart /wise enough or not brave enough, who knows) , but they are so correct for doing so, and in doing so they are "ignored" (2 weeks), possibly in hope that they will go away, I don't know , but I'm here to find out.

I understand that 1.9 is out for every version, but that fact seems to make it clear that there are certainly not independent teams for each version. This could even call into question the "need" for each sim to have its own version/separate products. But conceit was generous, because rather than call into question the need for separate products, he just would like discounts to be considered for existing customers. Many flight simmers who dive into VR for flight simming are going to have all four sims (FSX XP11 P3D 3 & 4), and conceit may have given FlyInside an opportunity to serve their customers in a more practical/fair/economical way.

If conceit is wrong, then I want to hear how he/she is wrong. When it takes longer than 2 weeks to respond to a valid customer complaint, then I see that as something needing correction. So I will be watching you all closely to see if you explain why conceit is wrong (which I don't think you can, and that is why there was no response for over 2 weeks and still none), or make corrections to the business model/pricing structure/method of support.

I'm not looking for trouble or for an argument, just looking to see how FlyInside handles issues that they may never considered would be an issue. If I'm satisfied with how this is solved/explained then there is a better chance I will be a customer.

Thank you once again Tony
Paul Racines

Win 10 64bit | Z97 Pro | i7 4790 4.6GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling | 16GB RAM | GTX 980 | Oculus Rift
pracines

Postby Stevil » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 am

You know what Paul?

We, the mods, are here to help those guys wo have problems settings things up. I, for example, do this in my spare time. I also have no influence on any price politics whatsoever, I am spending my precious time on helping.

Please write an official email to Dan if you want to continue on this point.

Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby admin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:53 am

I'll be honest, I didn't think this thread really needed a second reply. I can't write up a post every time a customer disagrees with our pricing model. For the most part it's a bit of a waste of my time, the customer usually has their heels dug in and won't be convinced. At the end of the day we're charging a reasonable price for a niche flightsim add-on, sell enough copies to pay the devs a living wage but not enough for us to get rich, and have been publishing free updates to our products for quite some time. When you get a group of people as unhappy as in this thread. despite the above, there's only so much to say, there are usually unrealistic expectations involved.

I have never ever claimed that FlyInside FSX, FlyInside P3D, FlyInside P3D4, and FlyInside XP don't share code. They share a lot of code. It's obvious enough that they have the same menus, the same virtual windows, a similar interaction system, etc. It's also not like we have separate teams for each product, their focus moves from product to product (or shared code) as needed. The reason they are separate products is because there is also a decent amount of unshared code involved in our support for each simulator, and an even larger amount of testing/debugging required for each. Despite the shared code, they each cost quite a bit to develop on their own (and have ongoing costs in-terms of maintenance/improvements/testing).

Yes, FlyInside FSX went for some time without receiving updates, no argument there. That's because FSX is a stable simulator, and FlyInside FSX is our oldest most mature product. It has the least urgent need for updates. FlyInside XP needed updates to stay compatible with the stream of X-Plane 11 betas. Prepar3D made the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit while making other major changes at the same time :shock: FlyInside FSX kept functioning at the same level as our other products this whole time, no urgent game-breaking bugs appearing out of nowhere. If Dovetail had released breaking changes you can bet there would have been a compatibility patch out in 1-2 weeks, just like any of our other products. And once we finally got a chance to catch our breath and make general improvements across all products, well, you can see that FSX was not ignored or abandoned. I figured that FlyInside 1.9 would speak more loudly than any answer to this thread could.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby pracines » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:46 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply Dan. Your reply helps me (and maybe others) to better understand the "heart and soul" of FlyInside.
Paul Racines

pracines

Previous

Return to FlyInside General Discussion