FI Interact Binding

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FI Interact Binding

Postby Bingo041 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to assign a key binding such as CTL + R to the Interact Binding setting?

Bill Clark
Bingo041

Re: FI Interact Binding

Postby jimh20 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi Bill,

Wouldn't you want to assign a controller button since it's not easy to see the keys while wearing a headset?

Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Postby Bingo041 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Jim,

I have a HOTAS that can be set to act like a simple joystick, just press buttons and and assign to FI bindings........or I can "program" my buttons to send key press combinations as in my example.

By sending key press combinations, I can interact with the FI bindings as well as send specific commands to the aircraft in P3D sim.

By programming my HOTAS rather than using as a simple joystick, I can effectively double the number of button functions on my HOTAS.

Bill
Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

What I would really like to do is send the following key commands using buttons on my HOTAS controller to send the following key press combinations :

FlyInside Interact - SHF + CTL + R

FIyInside Center - SHF + CTL + F7

Is this possible?

Bill Clark
Bingo041

Postby jimh20 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi Bill,
I did some experimenting. I'm using FlyInside for P3D4.1, and program my CH stuff with FSUIPC. I mapped a button to shft+ctrl+r, then set that button as Interact in Flyinside.

The button worked normally. The key combination worked after a fashion. Each time the combination was required I had to press shft+ctrl then r, not all three together. The double press had to take place each time. Not very practicable for me.

Not much help, sorry.

Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Postby Bingo041 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Jim,

I'm still working on this........to simplify this challenge, I did the following:

FlyInside Interact - K

FIyInside Center - J

These are two key presses I will probably never use that have to do with the Helicopter Hoist in P3D/FSX. Be sure and go into P3D or FSX control settings and delete K and J assignments. If you don't delete, then you are limited to one attempt at the FI interaction. Unlike TrackIR, FI does not appear to "Trap" the K Interaction or J Center keys to prevent these two key presses going to "Hoist" function......just my observation.

These two functions seemed to work well after the deletion of J and K assignments, but the start up process has to be deviated a bit...........more about that later as I continue my investigation.

Bill Clark
Bingo041

Postby Bingo041 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Here is my work around to get individual HOTAS key press assignments working in FI……………..there may be a better way to do this, but this is what I found that worked for my ThrustMaster Cougar HOTAS.

To Simplify, I used these keys dedicated to the following FI functions:

I was able to successfully put these key presses into the FI Bindings of these two functions using either the joystick plugged in, or without the joystick plugged in:

FlyInside Interact - K

FIyInside Center - J

My Cougar HOTAS is very capable of loading customized profiles for individual aircraft. I can compile and download profiles directly to the HOTAS memory and the onboard microprocessor executes the profile.

However, I have to deviate from the normal FI startup process because of the way it starts up. The first task experienced occurs at FI Welcome Screen. Using any Joystick button, you are asked to press any joystick button to center. However, when the HOTAS is in "Program Mode," FI will not accept the centering character “J” assigned to the HOTAS button. What I have to do, is set the HOTAS back to the un-programmed mode so acts like a $20 "Dumb" joystick. The following steps describe the actions I took to get everything working

1) Set the HOTAS to “Dumb” mode.

2) At FI Startup, click on any HOTAS button. This gets me past the “Startup” screen and puts me into the FI VR “room” where the “Waiting for Simulator” Window is on the left side, and the “Menu, SIM, Bindings and Setting” Window is located on the right side. So far so good.

3) Next I start the aircraft to load into the P3D simulator using the mouse, either by clicking on the P3D “Ok” button when looking in my Headset, or going to the monitor and clicking “Ok.”

4) Once the sim is fully running, and I am in the sim with the Headset, I delete the annoying window that always shows up in the headset using the mouse button.

5) Removing my Headset and going to the monitor, I click on my HOTAS icon in the Windows Tray below and open it. I set the HOTAS to “Programmed Mode.”

6) Once step 4) is complete, the two joystick buttons assigned “J” and “K” now work with FI.

My next step is to program other functions in the FI bindings and assign new keypress combinations to these joystick buttons. I will let you know how this progresses.

Cheers,
Bill Clark
Bingo041

Return to FlyInside General Discussion