Can't interact with FSX or desktop when FI first started

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Can't interact with FSX or desktop when FI first started

Postby TomCollins » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi, folks. I've Googled and read through forums and still don't have an answer. I don't see anybody else even asking this question so I presume I'm doing something colossally stupid but I can't figure out what.

When FI first starts, I press a button to recenter. Then I get two panels. On the left panel, all the buttons are greyed out because it's "waiting for simulator." If I select Large Desktop View, on the right panel, I see my whole desktop including the running FSX but I can't interact with anything using the blue dot (and yes I have an "interact" button defined). When I click the interact button to select something in FSX, nothing happens. Same if I try to do it with the mouse.

The only way I can get a flight going is to take the headset off and use the mouse on the desktop monitor. That works for some reason.

So how do I interact with FSX in VR initially to setup a flight? I can't figure it out.
TomCollins

Re: Can't interact with FSX or desktop when FI first started

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Can you post your win version, system specs and FSX version please mate :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby TomCollins » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:10 pm

Hey, Tony. Thanks for the reply.

Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, patched to current.

EVGA X58 mobo, V83 BIOS (fairly current, if not still current)
Intel i7 990x (6 core, 12 thread) OC'd to 4.5 GHz
12 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz RAM
Asus Strix 1080TI

FSX 10.0.61637.0 w/ acceleration pack (no idea where to find the version for that)

Dual monitors w/ Vive - all plugged into the 1080

And just to be clear, once I load a flight and get into the VC everything works fine.
Last edited by TomCollins on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomCollins

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Cheers for the info. Ok first off hopefully this isn't too tricky. Find your fsx.cfg which is under the appdata/roaming/microsoft/fsx folder tree. Save it or delete it. Then restart fsx and hopefully that'll get you going. Any reason why you're not on win 10 yet ? Plus keep an eye on steam. Fsx-se usually goes on sale for a fiver and is way more user friendly. But let me know how you got on :)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Ohhh and make sure dx10 preview is "off"
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Can you try disabling or unplugging so you have the one monitor and test for me? I think the issue will go away then ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby TomCollins » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Well, damn. I included the second monitor in the interest of completeness, figuring it was actually innocuous. Turns out that was exactly the problem, so thanks for that! Problem solved.

New (minor) problem: disconnecting that second monitor makes a mess. Winblows takes anything on the extended desktop and jams it all onto the main display :( (Winblows has never handled that gracefully). Not to mention, it's a bit of a pain to have to unplug each time. Hopefully the two monitor issue will get fixed in a future release :)

No Win 10 because snooping, tracking, and forced updates. Ultimately I *will* build a Win 10 box just for gaming/VR, and migrate all my day to day stuff over to Linux, but that's a little ways off yet.

Thank you for the help. Most appreciated. And kudos to all involved in bringing FI to fruition! Fantastic piece of software. So well done.
I'm an IRL student pilot, but haven't been able to fly the last year due to time constraints. FI has made all the difference in keeping my chops up 'til I can get back to IRL flying. Landings in particular were quite difficult for me in 2D. Completely realistic in VR!
TomCollins

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:43 am

Nice one mate :) yes the depth perception makes all the difference doesn't it ? There is no way I can go back to 2D now lol roll on better resolution and clarity in later headsets !!! ;)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to FlyInside General Discussion