Prepar3D V3 + Flyinside 1.0, spinning clouds problem

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Prepar3D V3 + Flyinside 1.0, spinning clouds problem

Postby Dan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42 pm

First a big THANKS to Daniel for his fantastic work!

Since early versions of Flyinside or DCOC I've always noticed a strange effect with spinning and rotating clouds, which was normal at that state.
Unfortunately the effect ist still present even on actual versions of Prepar3D V3 and Flyinside 1.0 (Preview) as you can see below.

Spinning cloud Problem: https://vimeo.com/147616143
I’m really wondering if anybody else noticed the same problem and appreciate any assistance to fix this strange cloud effect!

Problem occurrence:
- Spinning clouds effect occurs when installing Flyinside 1.0 on clean install of Prepar3D V3 (no addons)
Before the Installation clouds look volumetric - afterwards the cloud problem is active and also visible in normal mode until a complete reinstallation of Prepar3D V3(!)

Settings:
P3DV3: default settings with automatic changes made by Flyinside 1.0, default scenario with „fair weather“ condition.
(also tried customized settings without success)

Flyinside: default settings (tried different settings without success)
Nvidia Prepar3D Programm-Setting: default settings exept energy option set to max. Performance

Software:
Nvidia Driver: 358.78 or 359.06 (no difference)
Prepar3D V3 Pro, without addons (same effect with addons installed eg. Rex 4 TD, Softclouds)
Flyinside 1.0 (Preview Version)
Oculus SDK 0.7 or 0.8 (no difference)

Hardware:
i7 4790K 4GHZ, Ram 8 GB, SSD
Palit GTX 980 Super Jetstream 4GB
Win7 64-Bit

Thanks in advance for any hint! :)
Dan

Re: Prepar3D V3 + Flyinside 1.0, spinning clouds problem

Postby admin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi Dan,

Good catch! I hadn't caught that this was also affecting non-Oculus use (I don't have a lot of that ;) ). I'll certainly need to fix that, and it should help me track down the spinning clouds in-Rift.

For now if you clear your shader cache (C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Shaders) and start Prepar3D without your Rift turned on you should have normal clouds. FlyInside modifies the shaders when it runs because despite looking OK on-monitor, the clouds spin nastily when you turn your head in-Rift.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your quick reply!
The tip about clearing the shader cache (for non Oculus use) is working great. :)

In the following video I tried to catch a single cloud rotation: https://vimeo.com/148371351
It looks like clouds always facing to the aircraft and rotating on their axis, but only at close distances.
(Maybe the vid can help to track down the visible aspects of a single rotation.)

I hope you'll find a solution and I keep my fingers crossed!
Is there any difference between the preview and pro version in terms of spinning clouds?

Dan II :D
Dan

Postby admin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 pm

No difference between Preview and Pro as far as this bug. As much as I'd like people to buy Pro, I don't think intentionally leaving bugs in Preview would be the right way to make a sale ;) Once I have this solved the fix will be in both!
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby WebMaximus » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:04 pm

I noticed this as well and also mentioned it in another thread.

To me this is one of the most important issues currently so I really hope you'll be able to figure out how to fix it because that would improve the overall immersion a lot!
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby guit32 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 am

It will be interesting to have a feed back of p3d V3.4 users as is seems to be a p3d issue more than flyinside.
I5 4670K overclocked . Asus Z87-KC2. GTX 970.8 G DDR3.HTC Vive. P3DV3 version 3.4
guit32

Postby WebMaximus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:41 am

Maybe you're right but I don't get this when running on a normal display which to me would indicate it is a FlyInside issue. Or maybe it's just more noticeable in VR.

Anyway I hope a solution will be found.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby WebMaximus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 am

Since the previous post I've now tried FlyInside with P3Dv3.4 and I'm sorry to say the problem is the very same.

I've said it before and I say it again, please pretty please try to figure out what is causing this with help from other developers be it HiFi, LM or whatever because this issue really spoils quite a bit of the fun flying in VR IMO.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby guit32 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:03 am

Hello
Didn't you notice when you come back to fly in P3D in 2D but without cleaning the shader that this issue is now present in 2D.
I think I did notice that a day but I am not so sure.
If right that want to say that the way the cloud are modified in the shader are not very good.
I also see a post in youtube where a guy said that in P3d V3.4 the cloud rotation issue is also present in the VR P3d system (no flyinside).
Unfortunately if Lockeed Martin didn't do it properly..In VR it is real 3D so the conception have to be certainly different
Let's wait for the V4...
I5 4670K overclocked . Asus Z87-KC2. GTX 970.8 G DDR3.HTC Vive. P3DV3 version 3.4
guit32

Postby WebMaximus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:21 am

Never tried flying in 2D while I had 3.4 installed.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Next

Return to FlyInside General Discussion