What happened to the shimmer removal?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

What happened to the shimmer removal?

Postby severniae » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi,

Just got this new version, and previously using p3dv3 there was the option to get rid of the jagged shimmery edges - but in V4 they are back with vengeance! Where has the option to help stop that problem gone?

Thanks in advance,
James
severniae

Re: What happened to the shimmer removal?

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 am

I've just noticed that I get awful jagged edges on gauges and instruments are not readable at all. I do not remember seeing that when I tested the first betas for v4.1 though, so this seems new. I've cranked up the MSAA in P3D but to no effect. I've also noticed that some textures inside the cockpit seem to have glitch where they seem to flash briefly.

I'm wondering whether this is due to the newer nvidia drivers(*sigh*)? Between the beta and now, that's one thing I've changed because nvidia was supposed to have finally fixed the issues with their drivers creating stutters in VR... I'm on 387.92, so maybe I should try the latest version.

EDIT: going back to betas, I see that the glitches and artefacts are probably a known problem. But what about the total lack of anti-aliasing? I know that SSAA was disabled, but MSAA should still have visible effects, especially at x8, and yet I don't seem to get any AA
FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 am

Updating to the latest drivers (388.13) didn't change anything. I can see that MSAA is applied to the outside world quite clearly, but it's the edges of cockpit elements, gauges, needles, writing, that looks really bad. The contrast with Xplane is quite striking (and so here I am going back to XP again for now despite optimistically thinking I'd enjoy a bit of Active Sky weather in P3D v4)
FlyingMonkey

Postby severniae » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:03 am

I'm on nvidia latest, and latest Flyinside - In P3d v3 I have smooth edges (I think I have the 'enable shimmer reduction' option) and everything looks good.

P3dV4 - everything has a nasty shimmer to it, edges of dials look bad, and any letters /numbers, especially the HUD and gauges in the F16 are almost unreadable.

Is there a solution to this? Was the shimmer reduction feature removed for some reason!?
severniae

Postby severniae » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 am

Two days and nothing from any Flyinside officials - is this still the support forum?
severniae

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm

It's a small team (and community), so I'm not too worried about the time taken to get feedback on this, I'm sure it will come soon - but I'd certainly like to know whether this issue is acknowledged and worked on, because it's really making it hard to do anything else than VFR flights looking mostly out of window - for anything requiring instruments I really miss P3D v3 (and meanwhile I'll be back to XP11)
FlyingMonkey

Postby severniae » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 am

It is the single thing keeping me out of V4 - I have it all purchased, configured and ready. Loaded up and oooh can't use this!
severniae

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:55 pm

Mods or Dan: can we get confirmation that this will be looked after? I know that it's a small team busy on multiple fronts at the same time, but in the current state of things I can't really use P3D v4 and given that this was sold as a new and specific version of FI, I'd really like to know that progress is made to make it work at least as we ll as the v3 version. Thanks in advance
FlyingMonkey

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Guys, sorry for missing this post. I can confirm Dan and the devs will be looking at this again but cannot give you a time scale. It is on the road map.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks Tony!
FlyingMonkey

Next

Return to P3D Bug Reporting Here