World position shifts when head moves

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

World position shifts when head moves

Postby dfb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Apologies in advance as this problem is sort of hard to describe. Basically, when I turn my head in VR, my position in the world shifts slightly. This breaks immersion (and even causes a little dizziness) because my brain has an expectation about how the world should move as my head moves, but in addition to that amount of movement, there's some additional movement.

Put another way, when I'm in the Vive loading space before FlyInside/P3D loads, I can lay my controllers on the desk (so that they are completely stationary), and as I move my head around, they remain fixed in place - in the sense that where they are drawn on the display changes (of course), but their new location is offset by the change in my head position, such that to my brain they seem to be in the correct spot in 3D space. Then, when the FlyInside intro screen loads in VR, the same is true of the giant calibration window displayed off in the distance - as I move my head, it continues to be in the correct spot in the 3D, such that its position appears to be fixed in the 3D world. At this point, however, the controllers (now rendered as the blue hands), do *not* appear to be fixed in place - as I move my head, they seem to shift in position quite a bit - as if their location in 3D space is tied to my HMD in some way. Then, when I'm in the sim itself, this problem with the controllers continues to happen, but it also happens with the plane too - as I move my head, the cockpit shifts a little too, such that it doesn't seem fixed in place.

I'll try to think of a better way to describe the problem, but hopefully that gives you some idea.

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, a Vive, and P3Dv4 (although I had the same problem on P3Dv3). I'm running the latest versions of my graphics drivers, Vive drivers, FlyInside (1.9), and P3Dv4. I've verified that my Vive room calibration is good, although I don't think that's an issue anyway since no other VR apps I have exhibit this problem, and the calibration billboard when FI doesn't have this problem.

Thanks!
dfb

Re: World position shifts when head moves

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:10 am

Hi and a warm welcome. Could you post the rest of your system specs including cpu and gpu and ram for us ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby dfb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:11 pm

CPU: Intel i5-6500 @ 3.2GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, driver ver 390.65
HMD: HTC Vive
FlyInside: P3D4 Pro 1.9 - for Prepar3D v4 64-bit
P3D: 4.1.7.22841
Addons/plugins: happens with a bunch of Orbx addons installed, so I wiped everything and did a fresh install (no addons or plugins) and it still happens
dfb

Postby fenflame » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Try an earlier Nvidia driver. the latest (390) version has been giving problems with VR in FI, more notably the Rift, but it wouldn't surprise me if it created problems with the Vive too.

Try an earlier 388 version. I find it best to chose 'advanced' on the driver installation and uncheck 'Nvidia Experience'. Its basically bloat-ware.

Alan.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Postby dfb » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I can't tell any difference vs before. It's weird because no other VR app I have has this problem, and in the startup area (which it shows the FI inside logo and lets you recenter your HMD position), the "ground" and the floating dialog windows are all correct but the hands are not, so it /seems/ like a FI issue but who knows.

Anyway, I've kind of given up on VR controllers as well as Leap Motion for input for now and am just doing look + interact button and so the effect is not as noticeable. Oh well!
dfb

Postby Tony » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi dfb, sorry to be a pain, anyway you can get some visual evidence for me ? Screenshot or short vid mate ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby dfb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:41 pm

No problem, thanks for the reply. Let me focus on the controller problem first and then from there we can dig into the plane movement problem - it's more subtle so probably best to talk through the controller movement problem first and then circle back.

I captured before and after screenshots of moving my HMD from left to right, with a controller laying on the floor, and then colored a few of the lines so you can tell what's what between the two. In the 1st screenshot, I've positioned the HMD so that it is floating above the red line. I then shifted the HMD to the right so that it is over the purple line, and I didn't move the controller at all, and took the 2nd screenshot:

controller_shift.jpg
controller_shift.jpg (43.16 KiB) Viewed 6756 times

In the 1st image, you can see that the controller is above the "floor", so in 3D space the controller is somewhere above the column of squares that run between the purple and blue lines. Since the controller was not moved, in the 2nd image, where the HMD is floating above the purple line, the controller should still be somewhere between the purple and blue lines - it's 2D rendered position will of course change some due to the change in perspective, but it should still be between those two lines because the HMD is above the purple line and relatively far above the floor. But instead the controller is now positioned between the purple and red lines, as if the controller had been moved to the left by a foot or so.

So, even though I'm not changing the physical location of the controller, its location in the 3D virtual space is changing.
dfb

Postby fenflame » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 pm

dfb wrote:No problem, thanks for the reply. Let me focus on the controller problem first and then from there we can dig into the plane movement problem - it's more subtle so probably best to talk through the controller movement problem first and then circle back.

I captured before and after screenshots of moving my HMD from left to right, with a controller laying on the floor, and then colored a few of the lines so you can tell what's what between the two. In the 1st screenshot, I've positioned the HMD so that it is floating above the red line. I then shifted the HMD to the right so that it is over the purple line, and I didn't move the controller at all, and took the 2nd screenshot:

controller_shift.jpg

In the 1st image, you can see that the controller is above the "floor", so in 3D space the controller is somewhere above the column of squares that run between the purple and blue lines. Since the controller was not moved, in the 2nd image, where the HMD is floating above the purple line, the controller should still be somewhere between the purple and blue lines - it's 2D rendered position will of course change some due to the change in perspective, but it should still be between those two lines because the HMD is above the purple line and relatively far above the floor. But instead the controller is now positioned between the purple and red lines, as if the controller had been moved to the left by a foot or so.

So, even though I'm not changing the physical location of the controller, its location in the 3D virtual space is changing.

This I bugging me...pardon the pun..... because I have totally come across this issue and I can't remember what it was and how I fixed it. Its a bit like being in native P3D in 2D mode, where the cockpit shifts with your head a bit, but when I had it in FI it just moved the entire cockpit with my head a small amount as soon as I moved my head then it remained as it should be everything had shifted a bit. I have a CV1 so I don't think it's something specific to one hardware. I totally do know what you mean. If I figure out what I did I will be back on to let you know.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Return to P3D Bug Reporting Here