World Tour - Will I do it?

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: World Tour - Will I do it?

Postby Stevil » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:09 pm

http://x-flightserver.de/ Could also be an alternative btw
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby Greyman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

That link appears to be dead, but either way I'm 12 legs into the tour and enjoying it immensely.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am

Just in case you are all starting to get withdrawal symptoms, from a lack of ultra-exciting updates, i thought that i would let you know about my leg 18, landing in Peongyang. yes, that's the one in North Korea.

I suspect that something might have gone amiss with the nav data or the A320, as the aircraft's interpretation of the altitude constraints would have caused me to be way too high to land. It didn't descend having reached an altitude constrained waypoint, despite the fact that the next waypoint had a lower constraint and my aircraft having a target altitude well below both.

As i am sure you will all have done previously, to avoid a go-around, off came the AP and the chance of a boring auto-landing, followed by a bit of a dive, with airbrakes, to lose altitude quickly and land it manually. I landed it pretty well actually.

Only just over 10% through the tour and although it is likely to take an age, at least it saves me having to make up my own flights and i get to see far more of the world.

I'll stop now, perhaps until i actually finish the tour, but i'm sure that you will all survive. :)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Stevil » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Hehe don't stop reporting Greyman! I love reading your experiences on the world tour though I sometimes don't find the time to answer immediately :roll:
So you're mainly flying the A320U now, aren't you?
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby Greyman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:38 am

Oh yes and I will do the whole tour in it. Although there is a very short leg of around 50nm that it might be better to fly with a GA aircraft, I'd rather stick to the FF A320.

It really is a very nice aircraft, particularly now that we can fly it in VR.
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 pm

Well, i've had a bit of a break from the tour, but have just done leg 29, from Juneau to Vancouver, having discovered a nice lua script that appears to dramatically reduce the performance impact of clouds on XPlane 11. The visuals aren't perfect now, with a few odd-looking breaks in the clouds when looking directly downwards on an external camera, but i can put up with that in return for the removal of the periodic and dramatic dip in fps that i was getting with the default XP cloud settings. If you are interested, the free download in question can be found at https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... view-68744.

As for the flight from Alaska down into Canada, that went very well, but i had a bit of flight plan adjusting to do, after i had switched from a planned landing at 26L to 26R and accidentally reinserted duplicate approach waypoints. That meant that i had to delete the second visits to those waypoints, but that didn't take too long and the landing was a text-book, albeit lazy, auto-land and i timed my reverse thrust and braking to leave the runway at a high speed exit, about half way down the runway, cleaning up the flaps, speedbrakes as i left.

I also switched to taxi lights from TO and turned off the landing lights, although i'm not sure if that is the thing to do, but i am sure that an expert will let me know. :)

This aircraft really is a joy to fly in VR, although i might need to load Simbrief into the EFB and plan the flight from within the cockpit, to reduce the need to remove the headset even more. I already have the moving maps in the cockpit, via Navigraph's Charts Cloud, so I will probably be able to get into the cockpit before startup and then not need to remove the headset until arriving at the gate at the other end.
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Oh, i'm in Mexico City now, having done 34 legs and over 18,000 nautical miles.

I've now only got 118 legs and around 53,000nm to go. :)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm

WOW!! the ILS 02 Y approach into Guatemala City is an interesting one. I flew the proper STAR and approach, yet the aircraft approaches at a fairly high angle from the runway heading, so didn't pick the localiser up and the position of the runway, on the top of a plateau, makes it a bit of a challenge in manual mode.

I had to do a go-around on my first try and then landed it manually. I wonder if it's like that in real life or if the aircraft just doesn't fly the managed approach properly? It can't be anything to do with pilot error ;)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, i've not got bored of the A320 yet and have now done 65 of the 152 legs, covering almost 31,000nm and i am currently sitting at San Juan.

All i need now is the full navigraph version of the latest navdata and i will be able to fly all of the up to date routes. I'm currently using a matching set of 1712 navdata, in both Simbrief and the A320, so things line up pretty well, even if some of the waypoints, SIDS and STARS have since been updated.

I'm almost halfway there and will get it done, hopefully before the F18 Hornet comes out on DCS World ;)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Greyman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:46 pm

I've got half way, which means 76 legs of the 152, and my last landing at St Anthony (Newfoundland), on a 4,000ft runway and my first ever wind shear warning, was a bit of a challenge.

I've now covered over 36,000 miles and It's a bit of a slog, with other stuff to do, but i'll get it done......eventually. :)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Previous

Return to General forum *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019