Need Advice with install issues

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Need Advice with install issues

Postby smw526 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm

I have been using FlyInside for over a year with FSX and Oculus Rift VR. what a super fun experience, until now...
Over the years I have installed various 3rd party add-ons to my FSX configuration. The only problem I've encountered is that I corrupted or deleted a couple of scenery files, so when I boot up I get a couple of messages about it. But I just continue and things have been working fine for the last year.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to update to Fly Inside 1.9. I downloaded it from the website and started the install, but I got error messages about not being able to rename several files. So, I aborted the update. The installer message said it was rolling back the changes, but when it was done, my Fly Inside desktop Icon was gone. In fact I could not fined the install anywhere in my directory.

I reached out to Dan Church and he tried helping me yesterday. (By the Way, I think he is a great guy! I mean, how often do you get individual help from the guy who started it all! I know we'll get this figured out, and he has earned a loyal supporter in me for sure! ) He was able to determine that my antivirus program was treating the installer and some of the program files as malware. So I disabled the antivirus SW and repeated the attempt to install 1.9, but the result was the same as before. Fly Inside is a terrific product and I know the problem is with my system and not the Fly Inside application. So my next step is to reach out to this community for advice and recommendations on what to do next.

I'm thinking it may be time for a complete uninstall/reinstall (with antivirus off) of both FSX and Fly Inside. The only reluctance I have is that I'll have to add all the Microsoft updates and 3rd party add-ons back in, which will take a lot of time. does anyone out there have a better idea for what I can try, short of this step?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve
smw526

Re: Need Advice with install issues

Postby Stevil » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi and welcome :)

Why don’t you try and change your antivirus SW? Try to deinstall it, try if installing FlyInside works then...
I am using a free AV scanner and never had problems with it...

Maybe this is not a BIG solution but it should save you some time in comparison to reinstalling FSX and plugins..

BR
Stephan
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Re: Need Advice with install issues

Postby Tony » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 pm

In addition to what Stephan says try this also. Find your fsx.cfg and rename it .old. then find the Flyinside folder under appdata/roaming file tree. Delete the folder. But be aware everything including your password will need to be entered again. Let us know how it goes ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to General forum