FlyInside crashes system

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FlyInside crashes system

Postby jayjay » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:35 am

Hello Tony,

unfortunately FlyInside FSX Pro 1.81 crashes my system after Installation when starting FlyInside. I did a lot of testing here. Before each installation, I returned to a working image of my system with both FSX and Oculus software working well without any crashes, bluescreens, or hanging on shutdown.

I installed FlyInside as recommended and subsequently with slight differences to try to find the source of the errors. I installed:
- with and without deactivating antivirus and firewall software
- as "administrator" and as user with admin rights
- with and without a reboot after installing FlyInside
- older versions of FlyInside (1.6, 1.62,1.75)

The behavior is in all cases more or less the same. If FlyInside is startet for the first time, it asks for the grphics adapters to use. It correctly displays my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, and I select it for the headset and the main monitor. Then I clock "Start FlyInside FSX!". Another dialog appears that tells me that FlyInside has to be restartet so that the settings can take effect, and I click "OK".

For a few tests I got a Windows bluescreen at this time. (I did not have bluescreens on Windows 7 for about 5 years.)

But mostly after clicking "OK" the FSX start screen disappears, and nothing happens any more. After many minutes I try to shut down the system. I tells me that some background processes need to be terminated, but it gives no hint which one. After some time the user is logged off. Then the system hangs forever in the shutdown screen. It can be restarted only by a hard power off which in turn creates a corrupted file system on the boot partition 1 out of 3 times. Anyhow, Windows is not able to perform a standard boot without asking the user for a boot procedure before.

Even worse, after installing FlyInside the headset tracking crashes sometimes when just looking around in Oculus Home loft menu without having FlyInside startet.

All these errors are gone if FlyInside is not installed.

Some people recommend to use the FSX Steam Edition instad of the boxes FSX because thed do not manage to get FlyInside up and running with the boxed version. After checking the created logfiles it seems that you expect FlyInside to work correctly with the boxed version because you check for the configuration files of both types.

I am running Oculus Home version 1.19. The FlyInside download page shows that FlyInside versions seem to be dedicated to corresponding Oculus Home version. Version 1.10 is the latest one mentioned. What's the logic here? Do one have to stick to a dedicated Oculus version to work correctly with FlyInside?

My System:
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5 GHz
NVidia GeForce GTX 780
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit with all patches
Saitek X52 Pro
FSX with Acceleration Pack
Oculus Rift Headset
Oculus Rift Runtime 1.19
2x Oculus Touch
2x Oculus Sensor

Best regards

Jayjay