Are there any plans to support Microsoft Mixed Reality heads

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Are there any plans to support Microsoft Mixed Reality h

Postby jelder » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:43 pm

I see that someone has figured out how to use Revive to use Oculus games on MS MR headsets through Steam. Wondering if anyone has tried that to get them to work with FlyInside?
jelder

Postby Terrydew » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:02 pm

I just tried to use the Samsung hmd by installing the Vive version and starting Windows Mixed Reality for Steamvr before I started FI. After a long pause with the P3D splash screen up, it said I was using the Vive version of FI and I should use the FI version appropriate for my hardware.
In other words it doesn’t work.

That’s two bad because the visuals in the odyssey are much better that the rift in the two games I have tried so far. I would encourage Dan to try to make FI compatible with these headsets. I am encouraged by the resolution because I also have a 8k Pimax due from the Kickstarter in January.
I7 6900K
Pascal Titan X
P3D V3.4
Windows 10 64 bit with anniversary update
Terrydew

Postby jelder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I have my Odyssey on order. I hope it shows up this week. I am disappointed to hear that you could not get it to work. Did you try using it with the Rift version of FI? I am really hoping Dan gets this to work. If not I believe it can be made to work with Aerofly FS2.

Jim
jelder

Postby Jclark93 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 pm

+1 on Pimax 8k
Jclark93

Postby dfb » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 pm

I'm using P3Dv3 and couldn't get the Samsung Odyssey to work with either the Vive or Rift versions of FI, unfortunately.

Overall the Odyssey works well with other things that use SteamVR - currently you have to install SteamVR beta, but if you do that, then games that use SteamVR seem to work just fine - apparently Microsoft and Valve have collaborated to provide some sort of compatibility layer between Mixed Reality headsets and SteamVR. Because of this, my existing VR games just work with the Odyssey without having to upgrade them or anything.

But when I fire up FI with the Vive version, SteamVR starts up like it does when I use an actual Vive but then I get that same error message mentioned above, where I'm told I have the wrong version of FI. The Rift version of FI won't fully install because it can't find the Occulus runtime. I wonder if FI is doing an explicit check for the Vive, a check that could be relaxed slightly or something.

Anyway, hopefully the FI devs are getting close - by either supporting the actual Mixed Reality APIs or by just making it compatible with Steam VR beta (the latter seems like the shortest path as in theory it should more or less "just work", but really only the FI devs could say for sure).

I'm eager to see if the slightly higher resolution makes gauges easier to read at all, and the Odyssey's controller tracking is very good so I'm cautiously optimistic about that too (with the Vive + FI, my controllers constantly meander off because my VR setup has trouble seeing the trackers when I'm seated).
dfb

Postby Wafflesboot » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 am

Please please please add support for the Samsung Odyssey
Wafflesboot

Postby Central Airlines » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Please indeed! Add me to the list of people with wanting to FlyInside with Windows Mixed Reality. Bought for flight sim unknowing of the compatibility issues. Hope there is news soon. #alliwantforxmas
Samsung Odyssey - Windows Mixed Reality HMD
Prepar3d v4.1
i7-6700k, Liquid Cooled
Asus Strix GTX980Ti OC Ed.
Asus Maximus Hero VIII Mobo
32GB Ram
1TB 850 EVO
64-bit Win10 Pro
Central Airlines

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Support is being looked at and worked on for the odyssey.....no exact time frame folks :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Fly Coast Guard » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 pm

I also purchased a MR headset with the intent of using FI (waited this long for the ease of use of internal-only sensors). Should have done my research first, but I'm happy it is being worked on. If more interest in this endeavor equates to more urgency than consider me extremely interested in seeing this fulfilled. With the type of sim work I will be attempting I will likely be purchasing the full version of FI. Thanks for the efforts.
Fly Coast Guard

Postby jelder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:44 am

That is really great news. I think this could be an important differentiator for FI once Xplane has native VR as they are only planning to support Vive/Rift at least at first. This was confirmed by Ben on their developer forum. I just hope you guys get a beta out before my 30 day return period expires on my Odyssey as at this point I am not sure I will keep the Odyssey unless I can try it in X-plane and the increased resolution outweighs the cost and a couple of other shortcoming (mainly comfort of fit) vs my Rift. Would love to be a beta tester if needed.

Best regards.

Jim
jelder

PreviousNext

Return to FlyInside General Discussion