Vive FlyInside performance

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Vive FlyInside performance

Postby admin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:34 am

I'm working on fixing this with a future update :) I believe it to be a FlyInside issue rather than a Vive issue, it's just taking some time to get to the bottom of it all. What resolution/MSAA are you running at?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby laserob » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:55 am

Just want to throw my 2 cents in, I'm getting an equal amount of frame drops while in pause mode as I do while in flight. I've tried turning off reprojection but same performance. It's plenty playable but seems strange the same amount of frames are missing while on pause as in flight, and I'm not even scanning the cockpit.
Asus Maximus Hero VIII, i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz
Win 10/64, Asus GeForce GTX 980ti STRIX
16GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H110i
laserob

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 pm

You nicked my system lol apart from having the 980sc we have identical systems: ) hmmm wonder what Dan will make of this? Almost seems like the CPU is under load all the time? And is it Rob ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:39 pm

Hey Dan, I'm running:

Resolution = 2880x1600
SMAA disabled
MSAA 2x
FoV Overdraw 100%
Geometry Warp Smoothing Off

@Sharkku - It's tough to get into a flame war when you have the superior system... :lol: <ducks... runs...> Hehehe :D Tony also said I should get a Rift but seriously, I think the hardware is probably largely equivalent aside from motion controllers now on the Vive. I haven't seen the Rift CV optics though, but on the other hand, the stuff I've been running with the Vive like The Lab, The Blu, Tilt Brush, especially FlyInside, and such have made it really tough to dig in on the nuts and bolts of FlyInside. It's really amazing. The robot repair lab is freaky cool. And I'm sure both headsets are big time improvements over the DK2. At least the Vive is IMO.

The view from the cockpit is a giant leap over the DK2. I was looking back at videos and while you can kind of see it in those, where it really stands out is actually in the HMD. The Tiger Moth was a cool plane but it always had a fairly cartoonish look to it and as I realize now, a lot of the detail was washed out. In the Vive I can see the rib stitching on the wings and in external view, I can see the top wing leading edge slats pop up when I get slow and at high angles of attack. It's really like flying a whole different airplane. The Moth has big gauges but before they were still difficult at times to read. The gauges are just flat readable no problem now. I can't wait to try out the other planes!

You guys will probably have fewer teething problems than us with the Vive, but it's fine. Learning more as we go. But man is the view ever amazing! I can't wait until you guys get yours and we can go flying again!

And congrats to you too, Sharkku! Another new mod! :o

@Tony - I was noticing that I have my third core nearly at 100%. I think that's what is kicking in the dropped frames for me - that core hitting 100%. I need to see what threads are on that core. We might be back to needing to assign a cores again? My affinity mask is 56 so FSX should only be on my 4th, 5th, and 6th cores. Need to ponder this a bit. Hyperthreading is disabled.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby admin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Thank you for the tips on those cores Robert, that's something for me to investigate. Believe me, the Vive FlyInside experience is not up-to-par with what it should be right now, although I see Elite Dangerous struggling with similar issues. Expect serious improvements, although I can't put a date on it yet.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharkku » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:21 pm

@Robert: :D Yep, you sure have the superior system, I'm still on the DK2, remember? :D And thanks!

Can't wait to get my Rift though! ;)
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:16 pm

Hey Dan, I was poking around some more today trying to figure out how to find out what processes were on which cores and this time it was my 4th core that was running near 100%. Before it was the third core. The rest of the cores are definitely loaded but not more than about 30-40%. But the 4th core is the first one I am allowing FSX processes on (the 8 core in the affinity mask). Would it be difficult to allow setting the affinity of the FlyInside process(es)? I am assuming it's FlyInside that is running that core up so high but I don't know how to tell for sure yet. So many things to do and so little time!

But I'm getting another video ready to post and it was a dusk flight at Goodwood, UK, in the Moth. It was amazing! And I figured out how to mask out the edges of the eye images so you don't see so much of the edge jitter depending on how far you mask it down. With the mask over the mirror view, it's now really easy to see how smooth it is most all of the time. I can still have some jitter but it is very minor.

And Axel, just pulling your leg there. :D I think you guys will have it made early on. The systems really do appear to be at least very comparable and with what I am seeing in the Vive, it's going to rock your guys' socks! I don't get the people saying it's not a big jump over DK2 because it really is. You'll see!
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Previous

Return to HTC Vive