Awesome stuff!

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Awesome stuff!

Postby BeerGremlin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:06 pm

I just wanted to pop in and say hello.

After a few 15 minute flights with the trial version, I was 100% sold on the experience and the potential here. I went ahead and purchased the full version.

I'm a real world private pilot, so I loaded up KPRC where I've flown in and out of before. Using FlyInside with P3D and the Vive is about as close as I could have imagined to actually being there. I can't wait until the visual fidelity increases in the coming years. It isn't perfect yet, but it is an amazing start.

I haven't flown enough yet to provide any useful feedback. I noticed the black flashing issue only once so far, which was when I was shutting down the engine of the A2A Cherokee 180 while sitting on the ground at KPRC. Otherwise, it's been smooth as silk.

Anyway, I look forward to what the future brings. Cheers!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepar3D v2.5, ORBX FTX Global Base/Vector/NRM, ASN, REX4, A2A C172/P180
HTC Vive, i5-6600, Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1, Gigabyte H170 G3, 32GB DDR4
BeerGremlin

Re: Awesome stuff!

Postby Sharkku » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:46 am

Hello, BeerGremlin, and welcome to the forum! Always great to hear about awesome first time experiences! I am a real world private pilot myself, and have logged most of my hours in a PA-28 as well, so I get where you are coming from!

I agree that the experience isn't perfect yet, we need higher resolution to really be able to read gauges comfortably for instance. The Vive and Rift CV1 are significantly better than the DK2 I've heard, but still a long way from getting close to the resolution of the retina. Hopefully foveated rendering will help with that in the coming years.

Have you tried the Leap Motion yet? It's incredibly cool to be able to reach for switches and knobs in the virtual cockpit! It's not perfect either yet, but the ability to manipulate the environment with your hands can't be overrated. You really feel like a pilot when using it!

Also, you should be commended for putting your specs in your signature.

Again, welcome!
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby alvmarti » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:33 am

Hello guys,
I'm newbie here too. I'm a helicopter pilot myself (Ka32 helo). I just got the HTC Vive a few days ago, but I don´t know which flyinside version I have to purchase. I want to use it for the FSX Steam edition and maybe DCS. Flyinside FSX or Flyinside FSX & P3D? Could you guys help me out?
My computer specs:
I7-4790 3.60GHz
16 gb RAM
Windows 10 pro x64
Dual SLI GTX970 Nvidia Gforce

Thanks a lot!
alvmarti

Postby Tony » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:46 am

Hi and a warm welcome :) if you go on the Flyinside store you'll see options for either FSX or P3D or you can buy both :) it'll work great on either but be aware there is no support at this time for sli. Also the vive flyinside is still in beta and you may encounter bugs or some screen flickering and jerkiness if you have settings on too high. So you need to experiment and find a good balance for now :) enjoy and let us know how you get on mate !!!

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Sharkku » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:24 am

@alvmarti: If you just want to use FlyInside with FSX Steam Edition, you should buy the FlyInside FSX version. FlyInside P3D is for Prepar3D, Lockheed Martins updated version of FSX. You can't use FlyInside for DCS, but it has native support for VR. It works very well with Rift CV1 as it is. Not sure if it works with Vive though. Good luck, and welcome!
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:27 am

DCS does work with the Vive but it has lots of ghosting. At least on my system it isn't really judder like it used to be with the DK2 but is instead a much faster thing. Still, it doesn't work right yet. If I fly DCS, at least for now, I have to use my DK2.

Hopefully they get it all sorted and I'm sure they will. In the mean time it sort of works and people can see what it looks like, but it will probably not be pleasant for long times in the sim until they fix it.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:31 am

@alvmarti, the FlyInside versions will both let you run for 15 minute trial periods and you should give whichever one you want to run a try. If you run a lot of add-on scenery or complex aircraft, it might take really turning down settings if you do.

But man is it ever beautiful! The planes look way better than in the DK2 if you ever tried that.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby alvmarti » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, thanks everyone for your quick reply.
I'll give it a try. I'll let everybody know the results in the Flyinside/HTC Vive forum.

Best regards,

Al
alvmarti

Return to HTC Vive