Async Timewarp vs autogen process/thread priorities

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Async Timewarp vs autogen process/thread priorities

Postby mrchriz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 am

Hi,

I don't know how FlyInside and P3D work under the hood, but would it be possible to assign cpu intensive calculations like autogen the lowest process/thread priority and async timewarp the highest?

The reason I'm asking is because on my system I get judder/flashing when autogen is enabled (the timewarped framerate will not stay on 90fps, but rather drop down periodically, which is accompanied by the infamous judder/flashing artifacts), and is mostly doing fine when autogen is disabled.

I also understood that the "native" async timewarp of Oculus is implemented on system core/driver level, ensuring async timewarp happens before anything else (even under heavy system load). Vive owners have to rely on Dan's own async timewarp creation, which by definition competes with other system and application processes. Hence might bumping Dan's timewarp to the highest priority and reducing cpu intensive work (like autogen) to the lowest level do the trick?

Another issue might be that hyperthreading on i7 processors might lead to situations where 2 cpu heavy processes are assigned to the same physical cpu core. Is FlyInside making sure (e.g. via a kind of affinity mask) that its async timewarp process gets its own dedicated cpu core (meaning the second virtual thread on the physical cpu core async timewarp runs on does not do cpu heavy processing)?

Thanks for your feedback & cheers
Chris

PS: My system specs: i7 2600k @ 4.7 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 980TI, HTC Vive
mrchriz

Return to HTC Vive