Frame rate issues

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Frame rate issues

Postby Lufferov » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:40 am

Robert wrote:Hi Lufferov,

On the menu that pops up in the sim, in the low center there are actually two frame rate numbers: xx/xx. You may already know and if so, apologies, but the first number is how fast FSX is rendering and the second number is the display rate in the Vive. For me, I get numbers like 30/90 showing FSX is rendering at 30 (I have it locked there) and it's being displayed in the headset at 90 courtesy of Dan's FlyInside software and the magic it does.

Is your first number 30 or the second number?

It was the first number, so I was getting 30/90. But I can assure you what I was seeing was not 90 FPS... or if it was, it was simply rendering the same frames multiple times. I could tell quite clearly that it wasn't giving me smooth frame rates, it was very juddery. 60FPS is better, I don't actually notice any "frozen" frames, but it still doesn't feel as smooth as other games I've played in the Vive.

I'm guessing his "magic" can only do so much with 30 FPS to work with! The experience is very impressive, it looks amazing... I just get a few issues that can hopefully be fixed.

On a side note, I find that when I load up in an aircraft, my view it too far to the right, I'm sat near the center of the aircraft and not in the pilots seat. I also seem to be too far back by default. So I have to force a re-center in the wrong place so when I sit in my normal position it looks right. Is that something specific to my setup or is it a more general issue?
Lufferov

Postby Muso-Ka » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:03 am

Lufferov wrote:
On a side note, I find that when I load up in an aircraft, my view it too far to the right, I'm sat near the center of the aircraft and not in the pilots seat. I also seem to be too far back by default. So I have to force a re-center in the wrong place so when I sit in my normal position it looks right. Is that something specific to my setup or is it a more general issue?

Hi, it might help.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1578
I7 4930K 3,4 Ghz (4,4 Ghz), Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11Gb, RAM 32 Gb G Skill 2400, Win 10 64bit - Samsung SSD 850 Pro, Thrustmaster - HOTAS WARTHOG, Saitek - Combat Rudder Pedals, Switch Panel, Multi Panel, TPM System, Oculus Rift CV1+touch, Leap Motion.
Muso-Ka

Postby Robert » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am

Oh geeze. My bad, Lufferov. I hadn't seen where you had already front the frame rate limit and it was the FSX frame rate you were talking about.

But that is weird it is that uncomfortable at 30/90. That's what I run at and its fine for me. Maybe you are more susceptible or notice low frame rates more?

What kinds of planes are you flying? If they are fast ones and you are down low, maybe that higher speed points out the sleight of hand more as those other two frames were being created? I tend to fly slower aircraft so maybe that's why I don't see it?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted!
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Lufferov » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:26 am

Robert wrote:Oh geeze. My bad, Lufferov. I hadn't seen where you had already front the frame rate limit and it was the FSX frame rate you were talking about.

But that is weird it is that uncomfortable at 30/90. That's what I run at and its fine for me. Maybe you are more susceptible or notice low frame rates more?

What kinds of planes are you flying? If they are fast ones and you are down low, maybe that higher speed points out the sleight of hand more as those other two frames were being created? I tend to fly slower aircraft so maybe that's why I don't see it?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted!

Well I'm afraid to say, I don't play it "seriously", I just load it up for some fun. So what I fly tends to differ depending on what mood I'm in, but I like flying the Beechcraft Baron or a Cessna. Generally stay away from the big stuff. But I've found a whole new love and appreciation for helicopters in VR! I could never really fly them that well, but in VR I find it so much easier. Even with the realism turned up, I find it a relatively easy task to land the Bell JetRanger exactly where I want to. Before on normal screens, mainly due to a lack of visibility I'd never be able to judge it right. In VR you get such great situational awareness, you can see where you are, and judge speed and direction so much more accurately. Making small correction is instinctive and I don't find myself reacting too late, or over compensating at all.
Lufferov

Previous

Return to HTC Vive