Frame rate issues

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Frame rate issues

Postby Lufferov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi,

I just installed this with my HTC Vive but seem to be stuck at 30FPS regardless of the settings. It makes me feel a bit woozy at that rate and don't understand why I can't increase it. I have a Core i7 4790K, 16Gb RAM and a GeForce GTX 980Ti. On my triple screen setup I can run the game at maximum quality and detail and over 60FPS, but when I enable the HTC Vive at a lower resolution than my three screens, the frame rate is stuck at 30!?

Any idea what's causing this? I'd have expected my frame rate to be above 90, it can manage that in every other game I've tried in the Vive. I realise it's just in beta for the Vive, so maybe this is a known issue? Or maybe I've done something wrong in the settings (though I'm not aware that I've changed anything).

Can you help?
Lufferov

Re: Frame rate issues

Postby G-PMEM » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi,

In FI I run at the lowest resolution option with low and 2x AA. I get about 90 and I only have a standard 980 and i5 processor. Perhaps it's your nVidia 3D settings?
Peter
Windows 10, FSX:SE, P3D v4.1, i5 4670 3.4GHz, GTX 980, Vive, FI 1.82
G-PMEM

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Yes good advice at the moment. Dan is working on these issues with the vive and he recommends low settings until he gets things running good. Please bear in mind that these are early days with the vive and as such flyinside is still in beta with it :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Lufferov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 pm

I appreciate it's beta, I was just asking if that's what I should be expecting and to see if there's anything that can be done on my end to improve the situation. It just seemed odd to me that even on low gfx settings in FSX I'm still only seeing 30FPS. If I ran those settings on my desktop triple screens I'd be more likely hit 200 FPS!

I don't pretend to understand how it all works, but I can't understand how lowering the resolution to the HTC Vive results in lower frame rates.

... so, should I be lowering my gfx details in FSX? Does that have any impact, or should I be making the changes to the FlyInside settings?
Lufferov

Postby Sharkku » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:52 pm

Maybe a silly question, but have you made sure the FSX frame rate limiter is set to "unlimited"?
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Hmm OK gotcha mate. Try lowering everything. Flyinside and FSX then slowly start adding things until you get a performance hit. It's all about tinkering at the moment but I guarantee that things will improve and improve soon. We have a few vive users here and I'm sure they'll share their findings with and give you every bit of help they can :) I'm Riftless at the moment and am waiting the cv1 route. Please can you share your trial and errors with us on here ? Every bit of info helps Dan.

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Just seen this from another user that may help? Last post.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1807

But it is for p3d but may work in FSX?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Lufferov » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Sharkku wrote:Maybe a silly question, but have you made sure the FSX frame rate limiter is set to "unlimited"?

It may be a silly question.... but I'm even more silly because it was set to 30 FPS... D'oh!

I have no idea how it got set to that, but when I set it to unlimited I doubled my frame rate to 60 FPS. Still not 90 FPS, or anywhere near to what I'm used to on my desktop. Made me feel funny after a while, I get a bit light headed and feel dizzy. Never had that with anything else at 90 FPS... but also, this might be more to do with the fact I'm moving in this game. In other games I've played in VR you're static, so I might just need to get used to the sensation, but I think hitting 90 will make a big difference.

I'll wait for updates to see how peformance improves and keep you updated.
Lufferov

Postby Robert » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi Lufferov,

On the menu that pops up in the sim, in the low center there are actually two frame rate numbers: xx/xx. You may already know and if so, apologies, but the first number is how fast FSX is rendering and the second number is the display rate in the Vive. For me, I get numbers like 30/90 showing FSX is rendering at 30 (I have it locked there) and it's being displayed in the headset at 90 courtesy of Dan's FlyInside software and the magic it does.

Is your first number 30 or the second number?
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Sharkku » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 am

Lufferov wrote:It may be a silly question.... but I'm even more silly because it was set to 30 FPS... D'oh!
:) Glad you found the issue! Sometimes we miss the most obvious things...
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Next

Return to HTC Vive