Flyinside unable to detect a monitor (GOING INSANE!!)

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flyinside unable to detect a monitor (GOING INSANE!!)

Postby twadejr » Thu May 12, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello all -

I'm about to straight flip out trying to get this working so I'm hoping someone can help before I go over the edge :lol:

I've installed Flyinside-FSX for my Vive and no matter what I try, I get two popups saying that no monitor can be detected and to check the device manager (which I do - no problem there) and then FSX (Steam edition) closes. I'm running Windows 10 home x64 edition, an i7-4770 cpu running at 3.4 Ghz, an nVidia 970 graphics card, and, of course, an HTC Vive. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing both FSX, Flyinside-FSX, SteamVR (including the beta version), running as admin, deleting config files for Flyinside to let it re-do the config from scratch...and probably a couple other things I've forgotten about. SteamVR works fine for other programs and I even had VorpX working with Flight Simulator but I wanted something specifically suited to FSX. I disabled and even uninstalled VorpX afterward to make sure there was no conflict but no matter what I try, I get the same result. I've looked through the logs (See attached) and can't see any obvious problem or solution.

Thanks in advance for anyone's insight. I'd definitely appreciate it!!
Attachments
log.txt
(161.93 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
twadejr

Re: Flyinside unable to detect a monitor (GOING INSANE!!)

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2016 8:07 pm

Hang tight, this looks to be a strange bug, and I'm looking into it (thanks to your log)! Any chance that you could post a screenshot of Device Manager with your monitor, it may contain some sort of hint?

Just wondering, how was the VorpX+FSX experience?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby twadejr » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks - just knowing I wasn't missing something obvious made me feel a little better! heh

I have my computer hooked up to a Vizio 32" and it shoes up as PnP-Monitor (standard) in device manager. I checked the properties and it looks like the driver is from Teamviewer so maybe there's some issue with their driver. I'll try to use the standard driver and see what's what. As far as VorpX goes, it worked OK - definitely much better than only using a monitor of course :) But I'm interested in seeing how Flyinside compares and might look into the Leap Motion controllers - that sounds like it would be an awesome setup! Thanks again and I'll let you know if I find something helpful :)
Attachments
Device manager.jpg
Device manager.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 11044 times
twadejr

Postby twadejr » Thu May 12, 2016 9:06 pm

Yup - that did it! I changed the monitor driver back to the standard Microsoft one and it worked fine now!!!

I'll check it out for a while but it looks like this is much better than VorpX for FSX, which I'd expect since it was written specifically for it.

Maybe some way to bypass the check for the monitor or force it to continue might help others with similar problems? I don't know know Flyinside has trouble with this monitor driver when other programs didn't.

Thanks again and I'll catch y'all later... I've gone to fly! :)
twadejr

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Wow first three posts and you figured out what's been causing a bug I've had a lot of trouble tracking down :D Awesome stuff!

Enjoy the flying, I'll have a fix out soon now that I know what's wrong.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Dumb question, how do you set a monitor to use the TeamViewer driver? I have TeamViewer installed but my monitor doesn't have the same issue.
admin
Site Admin

Postby twadejr » Thu May 12, 2016 9:39 pm

admin wrote:Wow first three posts and you figured out what's been causing a bug I've had a lot of trouble tracking down :D Awesome stuff!

Enjoy the flying, I'll have a fix out soon now that I know what's wrong.

Awesome - glad I could help while getting some help! Now, you can't wipe the smile off my face playing FSX. This is defintely how it should have been played from the beginning. It's a no-brainer to buy it :)
twadejr

Postby twadejr » Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 pm

admin wrote:Dumb question, how do you set a monitor to use the TeamViewer driver? I have TeamViewer installed but my monitor doesn't have the same issue.

Honestly don't remember doing anything special when installing Teamviewer... Just clicking next, next, next.

I *assume* the driver was part of the screen mirroring and seem to remember older options of Teamviewer (or maybe other similar programs) asking about installing a special driver but not the recent version.

(shrug) on that one :)
twadejr

Return to HTC Vive