Mind freaking blown...

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Mind freaking blown...

Postby progrmr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:17 pm

I just got my Vive today and being a heavy duty flight simmer I had to try Fly Inside.

Loaded up the default flight in FSX which starts you in the air...it was CRAZY to look around in the plane. When I turned and my body didn't feel those motions I was really a weird feeling - flying the landing was crazy too...seemed faster than just playing on a monitor.

PAPI lights are really blurry but I ahve a decent rig so I'll up the resolution and see how it goes.

I'm convinced! Buying in right now.
progrmr

Re: Mind freaking blown...

Postby whoispankaj » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Welcome to tbe other side of flight simming
whoispankaj

Postby Robert » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:48 pm

If you want to do something really cool - get out of your airplane when on the ground. Not all are fully rendered (saves on frame rates) but a lot are so when you get out and walk away or walk out on the wing, the visuals are amazing! It's also a little disorienting so be careful.

I just finished an upload with Flight Sim Developers' P-38 Lightning and walked out on the wing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6iKSgeaF-M) It's still only showing in 360p but they will have it all rendered out to 1080p soon. You want to watch in 1080p. :D

I start out on the wing at the Palm Springs Air Museum, go for a flight around Palm Springs, land, shut down, and then walk back out on the wing to look around.

If I had a platform to step up to it would complete the illusion because my perspective is too low when on the wing, but you get the idea and it's freaky. And very cool.

Other cool airplanes that are fully rendered are Ant's Aircraft's Tiger Moth, the Drifter ultralight, a number of Golden Age simulations' aircraft like the Travel Air and Davis, and lots of others. It has to do with casting shadows according to Anthony at Ant's Aircraft. If you look close at the FSD P-38, you can see it's mostly rendered but the landing gear are missing. You don't normally see them from the cockpit but we can get out of the cockpit!

Makes we want to re-arrange my office so I have the most room to walk around in when I get out of the planes. What can I say? It's a thing. ;-)
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby progrmr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:26 am

THAT is cool video! Do you have a large area defined for the play area and you're walking around in it?
progrmr

Postby Robert » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Thanks! Glad you like it! I have an area about 6 feet by 12 feet but my computer desk is about 2/3 the way across the 12 foot side. So the area I use for these kinds of things isn't all that big. But it's big enough to get out of the airplanes and check them and the scenery out. That's why I was saying I was thinking about trying to rearrange so I could have a larger area and be able to walk farther away from the airplanes instead of in some cases being confined to the wing if it's a big airplane like the P-38. The area between the cockpit and the boom and from leading edge to trailing edge is about all that would fit in the area I have to walk around in.

Getting out is very weird, though. It's like having a full-size airplane in your computer room. Just sitting in the cockpit doesn't give you the same feeling since you are in a small area. Way too cool to be able to get out and look it over! :D
Robert

Postby progrmr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am

I think that Scale is the single most impactful (sp?) attribute of being in the VR headset.

Everything I'm used to seeing in games looks so huge - my first VR experience was the underwater experience thing for the GearVR. I'll never forget the true fear, yes fear, that I felt the first time I saw a giant whale come swimming right in front of me..or the great white spotting me and driving right in. Everything is so big. VERY intense.

I'm getting used to the Vive though and flight simming inside of it. I flew all around central Ohio last night in the cub w/ FlyInside just airport hopping. It was perfect and no crashes.

I am having a hard time getting the recording to work - I'm using OBS and I should be fine to capture the window but it's showing up black. I got the Cub video on my YT channel so I know it can be done, not sure which factor is throwing everything off. I want to show off the Heli's w/ FlyInside because that is freakin AWESOME.
progrmr

Postby frankbicknell » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Not only is this mind blowing... I can land the planes now!
Z370 Chipset ASUS MB, I7 8700, 32Gb DDR4, M.2 - SSD, Win 10 64
GEForce 1080 TI SC@ Hybrid, Oculus HMD, Saitek X52 pro, Saitek pro cessna
frankbicknell

Postby Tony » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:04 am

frankbicknell wrote:Not only is this mind blowing... I can land the planes now!

Lmao it does that to you doesn't it :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:42 am

Hey Progrmr, did you get OBS and recording sorted? Once you get the settings it would work every time. Is it intermittent or it just stopped working? If it's still not sorted, which Windows and is OBS the latest Studio version?
Robert

Postby progrmr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:05 pm

I haven't gotten things sorted out w/ FlyInside and OBS yet. With game capture I get the two eye view, which I could use but then I have to post process and add an overlay, or do the overlay as part of the recording in OBS.

About 3 times though I was able to do Window capture and I would get a single view. That's how I got my Cub video.

But now when I do Window capture the screen is black. Running OBS as Administrator to capture, Windows 8.1 and OBS is the most current version. I feel like I'm close but can't quite bring it home. The game capture is easy so maybe I'll just make an overlay to work with that.
progrmr

Next

Return to HTC Vive