Flicker Back with latest version of Steam VR?

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Flicker Back with latest version of Steam VR?

Postby alienel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:28 pm

I have also just raised a ticket under the Steam VR section explaining the findings about the "waiting for vsync when always-on reprojection is enabled"
I have a very high end system and use a GTX Titan( I have SLI but not in VR) and I have also not been able to use my Flyinside fsx due to the terrible flicker.

My system ran the game very smoothly using the always on reprojection prior to the last Steam VR update.
Anyone who comes up with a solution please let us know as Flyinside FSX is great on the Vive .Keep submitting your support tickets we need this fixed.
Thanks
Rampage III Black Edition MB, I7 990X CPU@4.0 GHz, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 RAM, 2x GTX Titan X SLI). 2 Intel 520 series 480GB SSDs , 960GB Sandisk SSD, Corsair AX 1200PSU.Corsair H100i GTX liquid cooling,Windows 10 64 bit.
FSX Acceleration boxed.
alienel

Postby solarisfire » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Pretty sure if you try some rollback to a previous version Steam will just try and auto update itself again... Too clever for it's own good...
Intel i7 5930K @ 4.4ghz - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 (375.70) - 32GB DDR4 - Asus X99 Deluxe - 256GB SSD, 2x 480GB SSD (RAID 0), 2TB HDD - Win 10 x64 - P3D ver 3.4 - Saitek X-55 - HTC Vive - Orbx FTX Global / Vector - PMDG 737-800 - ActiveSky 2016 - ASCA
solarisfire

Postby davidlr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi, I submitted a ticket and have just had the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The Flyinside official support team will have the best solutions for technical issues related to their title.

We would recommend contacting the developer to let them know of the issue, so can they address the underlying cause with their application.

Your feedback will be passed along to the SteamVR team."

I will go back and point out that it was their change that caused the problem.

I am relatively new to Flyinside and have to say that it is brilliant. It has taken me a little while to tweak settings but had just got it to where I wanted before the SteamVR change. No doubt in my mind that this is the future of flight sims. It can only get better but already it is really good. Dan you are a star!
HTC Vive i7-5820K GTX 1080 Ti SC Win 10 Home 16GB
davidlr

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:55 pm

I had a similar interaction with them except I made the mistake of gathering the system report after I had been trying the various combinations of allow and force reprojection and the last state was where both were turned off. The support person helpfully told me if I turned them back on, all would be good. Just got through explaining that I had been trying to sort it for myself and that was the state I had left it in when I grabbed the system report.

That was my bad but it's frustrating because in my ticket I had explained the setup and what I had done to troubleshoot and that it was no help. So they saw that, called it fixed, and said I should check on their forums to see if anyone else had solved the issue and check the FSX help board for a solution as well.

So I explained to them again what I had already done to troubleshoot and that I was not the only one who had this go tits up after their update. I had made no other changes to my system.

Anyone else yet to file a ticket - make sure you grab the system report in the state SteamVR was when it was working and not after changing any settings to troubleshoot. They are looking at our reports first and disregarding what we tell them.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby davidlr » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:39 am

This is really weird but I started my PC last night UK time - 2300 (2200 GMT) - and up flashed a notification that SteamVR was doing another update. I started Flyinside in the hope that the flickering had been fixed. It had not but there was a noticeable improvement in the graphics quality - clarity and an extension to the sweet focus spot. I was flying the PMDG 737 in P3D v3.2 which has been pretty good in this respect anyway (certainly the best aircraft I have tried for clarity). I did a relatively short 40 minute flight and was very impressed with the graphics - a real improvement even though the flickering was still there. I had made no changes to any graphics settings. I shut down for the night and restarted this morning. Lo and behold another SteamVR update. I really hoped that they had fixed the flickering. They haven't but I have "lost" the graphics improvements. I have rebooted a couple of times, cycled the reprojection but with no impact on graphics quality or flickering.
HTC Vive i7-5820K GTX 1080 Ti SC Win 10 Home 16GB
davidlr

Postby alienel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 am

First I would like to say Hello Dan and thank you for the wonderful program. I have received a response from STEAM VR in regards to the wait for vsync problem.
The Steam support team basically said to report the problem to the developer of the application in order to look for a fix to the problem.

After buying your program I have used it to enjoy leisure flights in vr and have even used it with tacpack aircraft to fire guns and drop ordinance.(I have to disable experimental features in tacpack for it to work) Helicopter flying is extremely enjoyable.
I must say again thank you for your hard work as it is absolutely amazing.
I sure hope that there is some way to get around the problem of flicker when using your program. When I first started to use it I did have flicker and found the solution on this forum.
My system worked extremely smooth with the always on reprojection enabled.
Thanks again for the great program and I sure hope that there is a solution to the flicker problem.
Alan
Rampage III Black Edition MB, I7 990X CPU@4.0 GHz, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 RAM, 2x GTX Titan X SLI). 2 Intel 520 series 480GB SSDs , 960GB Sandisk SSD, Corsair AX 1200PSU.Corsair H100i GTX liquid cooling,Windows 10 64 bit.
FSX Acceleration boxed.
alienel

Postby admin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:58 am

Hey all, I'm looking into this. That's a very unfortunate regression!
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby seb » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi,
same here - some info - hope it helps: looks like the asynchronous timewarp thing goes crazy? - depends on the P3D settings - but sometimes the actual P3D framerate is higher than the displayed/timewarped. In addition the P3D framerate is very "jumpy" goes up and down about 10-20 fps all the time. Even with low settings and a sim framerate of around 40-50 fps I dont get 90 fps "warped".
i3570K@4.3GHz, GTX970, 8GB RAM, Vive, Win10, P3D v3.4, X-Plane 10.51r2 (Steam), XP11
seb

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:14 pm

For whatever it's worth, the guy who answered my trouble ticket has been passing messages to the devs for me. I keep asking if they can even expose the setting in a config file where we can get at it. That should be easy to do and they know they have broken FSX:SE (I haven't said anything about P3D since it isn't a Steam application even though we access it in SteamVR) for Vive users. I've had a few people mention they are buying Vives after watching the videos and I mentioned to the support guy/gal that I would feel bad to steer people to a platform that now doesn't work as demonstrated in the videos. And that is totally true. But I thought it was important they knew that people were making buying decisions based on this software set and we do need a fix.

I'm not especially hopeful but at least we have a bug in their collective ears. Fingers crossed we can get a band-aid for now as Dan works on any underlying issues.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby stewart » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:47 am

im also getting frames dropped when on max settings with the gtx 1080 witch i did not get with the gtx980ti
stewart

PreviousNext

Return to HTC Vive