"Could not detect a monitor" on headless HTC Vive rig

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

"Could not detect a monitor" on headless HTC Vive rig

Postby riggzy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Hello!

I recently finished building a new PC rig which is largely dedicated to the HTC Vive. It's set up to be headless (without monitor, keyboard or mouse) and boots right into SteamVR.

However, when launching FlyInside I get an error that reads "FlyInside could not detect a monitor on your computer". Which is of course perfectly accurate - but heartbreaking as I was planning to put in quite a few more hours on FSX using the Vive. I currently use VNC from my laptop to access the computer's desktop when needed, and while there is definitely a desktop being rendered, no monitors are listed in Device Manager.

Are there any plans to make FlyInside work sans the extra monitor? Any workarounds I should try? I've read elsewhere about creating a dummy display using a DVI-VGA adaptor and a few resistors, but wasn't sure if that would fix this problem.

Thanks!!

Riggzy
riggzy

Re: "Could not detect a monitor" on headless HTC Vive rig

Postby tannerwoody » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:12 pm

I'm having the same problem, but I have a monitor attached. At first, I thought it was because my monitor was attached using a DisplayPort cable. To test this, I hooked up my monitor with a DVI to HDMI cable; no luck. I tried hooking it up with an HDMI cable; no luck. I installed the manufacturers driver for my monitor; no luck. I restarted my PC, I've reset my settings it FlyInside. I've tried everything I can think of. No combination of cabling will make it work.

My hardware:
Samsung U28D590D Monitor
NVIDIA GTX 970
HTC Vive
tannerwoody

Postby tannerwoody » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm having the same problem but I have a monitor attached. I've tried using different cables (DP, HDMI, DVI). I've updated the firmware on my monitor, my gfx card, and my steam VR firmware. I cannot get past the error.
tannerwoody

Postby tannerwoody » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:01 pm

I've made some progress on this issue: I found that TeamViewer must be uninstalled for this to work. I still could not get it to work using my regular combination of signal cables. I has to use a DVI to HDMI cable for my headset, and hook up my monitor with an HDMI cable... The way I rig things usually is DP cable to monitor and HDMI to headset, but this refuses to work.
tannerwoody

Postby admin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi Riggzy,

Unfortunately FlyInside does require a monitor, as the simulator expects one to exist. I haven't personally tested a dummy display adapter but it would probably do the trick. Rather than messing around with resistors and risking a fried computer, maybe this would work https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headless-Display-Emulator/dp/B00FLZXGJ6 :)

Good Luck!
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to HTC Vive