Flickering Update from Dev

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flickering Update from Dev

Postby sevensixty » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:01 am

Is there an update imminent? Its frustrating that a payed for product is not working with no updates or ETA on fix announced...

Thanks
sevensixty

Re: Flickering Update from Dev

Postby Robert » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:18 am

To be fair, if you had turned on always-on reprojection to fix the previous black flashing issue, that Steam/Valve changed the behavior so that that setting quit fixing the issue isn't Dan's fault. It was Steam/Valve changing behavior for some reason and it had a side effect for us.

Please file a bug report wit a Steam support. The more who do that, the better the chances we can get the behavior reversed, fixed, or a setting exposed to where we can configure optimally for our own purposes.

Dan has said he is working on this and it just takes time. He hasn't been working with the Vive's SDK near as long as he has with the Rift so maybe there is a magic bullet lurking and maybe there isn't. Maybe there is a quick fix and maybe there isn't. Right now we don't know. But I'm hopeful Dan can sort something.

It just is what it is and all we can do is wait - And file a bug report with Steam/Valve. If the always-on reprojection setting worked for you, then you know for certain there is a fix. But that particular fix hinges on enough people filing bug reports that it gets fixed for us. Ideally we get both. Steam lets us have always-on reprojection like it was before and Dan finds ways to improve performance as well.

We'll see. But please file a bug report in Steam and explain it affects others too. All we need is for the setting to be exposed.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby solarisfire » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Have to agree, this is Valve's fault more than anyone else's right now...
Intel i7 5930K @ 4.4ghz - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 (375.70) - 32GB DDR4 - Asus X99 Deluxe - 256GB SSD, 2x 480GB SSD (RAID 0), 2TB HDD - Win 10 x64 - P3D ver 3.4 - Saitek X-55 - HTC Vive - Orbx FTX Global / Vector - PMDG 737-800 - ActiveSky 2016 - ASCA
solarisfire

Postby mick6318@gmail.com » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 pm

No disrespect here, but I don't agree that its HTC vives fault. They are always going to be upgrading their software, and it is up to the sellers of flyinside to keep up with the updates.
I own a solar power company, and the electrical service rules change all the time. Its my responsibility to keep up with the changes. I carnt turn around and say sorry its not my fault, electrical services nsw changed their rules.
There should be a refund for people who bought when the flickering was gone, and has now reappeared. I am sure they will buy again if the problem is eliminated.
mick6318@gmail.com

Postby admin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Mick, I love my customers, but I can't go giving refunds and waiting for re-buys every time there's an issue with a software update. That'd be a huge mess, no company could survive like that, and there would be no more FlyInside :!:

What I can do is continue to update the software for compatibility and post bug-fixes as quickly as possible. I spent all day collecting data, testing different hardware, and experimenting. Valve reached out to help, so we should resolve this issue pretty quickly :D

Of course, to compound the issue, NVIDIA released a drive update which caused further issues with VR applications recently. So multiple fixes from multiple companies (including FlyInside) are all in order :)
Last edited by admin on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding info regarding NVIDIA/Valve
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to HTC Vive