A thought on blur

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

A thought on blur

Postby toliverez » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:57 pm

I hear a great many grumbles about blurry gauges and such when using a HMD. There is then a whole bunch about maxing antialiasing and all the other names it goes by. In my experience, turning off all antialiasing options provides a sharper image for me in the HMD. All the antialiasing options and levels I've tried and compared seem to have an overall blurring effect to get things to look smoother. On high rez monitors, I think they can make up for this with the extra pixels, but for the limited rez of our HMD, we can't make up for it. Without any AA, I can see the steam gauges on my C172 clearly. Try it out and see. I'd be curious if anyone else finds an improvement.

One more thing. I don't know if it's just the people I've watched use FlyInside on youtube or not but I don't see anyone adjusting their seat. The game has the seats sitting as far back as possible. It's one of the first things you adjust in a real plane when you get in. If you aren't doing so, scoot your physical chair forward in the real world until you think your feet would actually touch the in-game rudder pedals. This will set you closer to the things you need to see better.
HMD: Vive CPU: i7 4470K GPU: GTX 1080 RAM: 32gb DDR3 Storage: SSD MOBO: Sabertooth Z87 OS: Windows 10 64bit
toliverez

Re: A thought on blur

Postby Raging Beard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm

+1

I have to have in game AA off or things get more blurry.

Not tried with FI AA off, I assume that would make things worse?
HTC Vive Pro
GTX 1080 Ti (OC'd)
Intel i7-8700k (OC'd)
16gb DDR4 3200
SSD
Windows 10 64-bit
Raging Beard

Postby toliverez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:38 am

I turned FI AA off as well as. I also lowered the overdraw to about 86%. That's just enough to cover all of my periphery and not a pixel more. This reduces the image stretch which reduces blur as well.
HMD: Vive CPU: i7 4470K GPU: GTX 1080 RAM: 32gb DDR3 Storage: SSD MOBO: Sabertooth Z87 OS: Windows 10 64bit
toliverez

Postby Raging Beard » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:15 pm

I do the opposite. Have the resolution up akin to supersampling, then overdraw 110%. Still sharp enough for dials etc (nowhere near Aerofly FS2 shapr mind) and it opens up view getting rid of the slight black box FI puts you in.
HTC Vive Pro
GTX 1080 Ti (OC'd)
Intel i7-8700k (OC'd)
16gb DDR4 3200
SSD
Windows 10 64-bit
Raging Beard

Postby toliverez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah resolution definitely has to be maxed. I was playing with the overdraw slider the other day and pulled it from one extreme to the other. The less percent overdraw yielded me a better picture so I lowered it as much as I could without seeing any of the black edges. Interesting you're the opposite. I've got to go back in and do a second look to reconfirm my original findings :geek:
toliverez

Postby Raging Beard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 pm

I have gone to your way of thinking now and reduced overdraw to 90% for that extra sharpness.

Problem is I am spoiled byt playing Aerofly FS 2 which just blows everything else out of the VR water performance wise. But what it has in beauty, it lacks in depth.

I also only just saw and learned about the night lighting popping in a square at a time when flying at a reasonable height. But I suppose sticking to smaller aircraft and keeeping below that ceiling solve the issue for now.
HTC Vive Pro
GTX 1080 Ti (OC'd)
Intel i7-8700k (OC'd)
16gb DDR4 3200
SSD
Windows 10 64-bit
Raging Beard

Return to HTC Vive