Vive pro compatiblity

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Vive pro compatiblity

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Just to follow up - if you have an Odyssey or Vive Pro, try the native P3D and X-Plane support. Its beautiful.

I would have liked to continue using FlyInside for some of the more valuable features, but the graphical clarity in native mode in both P3D and X-Plane is just too beautiful.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby malexdu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Any news from the development team....question first asked in March! Waiting to purchase, but need FI compatible.
Malexdu

Win 10 (64 bit) / i7-8700K @ 5.0 mhz / 32mb RAM / Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti / P3Dv4.5 / HP Reverb Pro Headset /AS & ASCA /Flyinside P3D4 1.98 / Too much Orbx Scenery /
malexdu

Postby mnesys » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:18 am

This is getting really annoying!

On one hand we see in June that you are working on "the first VR Haptic Flight Simulator" and that Fly-Indide Simulator sould come in the next weeks (2 months are gone since then...),some news reports that you work with the military (really? good for you...) and on the other we wait 6 month for no update of FI to work correctly with the Pro. It really looks like you used Fly-Inside to get some cash to start the company and that now you will give it up and force us to use your new product...
mnesys

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Personally, I think the lack of an official response speaks for itself which is sad. Dan is busy with his flight simulator and may not have the time for FlyInside any more.

He needs to clearly state his intentions instead of promising updates and leaving everyone hanging. It looks to me that FlyInside is done.

Thankfully it looks like the performance increase coming with the 2080 series graphics cards will let me ditch it permanently. I run a Pro and still use FlyInside for some flights where native P3D VR performance can’t quite keep up. It’s great software but I bought it thinking it would be a supported product. Turns out it probably isn’t any longer. Unfortunately, building systems that can power through with current headsets - especially the high resolution ones - isn’t an option for everyone. Hopefully the sim devs keep improving and we get eye tracking and foveated rendering in the new headsets to cap the computer requirements.

I used to recommend FlyInside but cannot any longer.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby mnesys » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 am

Tony just posted few replies.... nothing regarding Vive Pro support... they should at least post a statement regarding the end of the support for FI...
mnesys

Postby malexdu » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

Now the flight simulator is out, can we get some love back for FI....Any developments to make more use of the higher resolution Vive Pro? Been a long old wait!
Malexdu

Win 10 (64 bit) / i7-8700K @ 5.0 mhz / 32mb RAM / Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti / P3Dv4.5 / HP Reverb Pro Headset /AS & ASCA /Flyinside P3D4 1.98 / Too much Orbx Scenery /
malexdu

Postby Wizkid2552 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Thornfoot wrote:I just got a Vive pro. I see no in-game visual improvement over the Vive in FSX+flyinside. None. I suspect the resolution is getting dialed back (or set to some fixed resolution) by Flyinside, but seriously the text is no more readable than it was before. A major disappointment. Also, even in games that take advantage of the improved. resolution I find that although the screen is noticeably better on the Pro the lenses are worse. The sweet spot is minuscule, so to get all the resolution goodness you have to position the headset exactly.. but even so, unless your IPD exactly matches the fresnel lenses sweet spot one of your eyes is going to be slightly out of focus. The problem is that the IPD dial does not move the lenses, it just does a software move of the image, so the IPD for the image will be correct for you, but the lens sweet spot for both eyes will not be achievable at the same time. Not only is the sweet spot small, but as you look offcenter the image blurs, quite a bit actually. So if you have a program that handles the resolution of the Vive Pro you will still need to turn your head like a chicken so that you can read the text in its full clearness. Really. I'm feeling that I was tricked into wasting a lot of money for a half baked upgrade. That said, when you look straight on at something the image is a healthy improvement over the old Vive, but all that does is give you a taste of what the Pro should/could have been.

Thanks for this post, I was wondering just how the IPD works on the Vive Pro because I notice this weird effect of one eye out of focus when I use apps like Amaze on Steam where you watch 3D videos. In game it is noticeable too but usually there is action so I don't dwell on it. As far as comparing to the standard Vive, I just recently plugged in the standard one to remind myself how good or bad it is compared to the Pro. The Pro really is so much better balanced on your head, has the noise cancelling flip-down headphones where the standard has the cheap in-ear set with one foot cord that you plug in and they keep getting ripped out of your ears when you move your head, and the color and focus is much better I think in Pro. That said, the Oculus Rift which I have too has a sharper picture than the standard Vive, is very light to wear, and has non-fresnal lenses so you don't get those "God-rays" of white light that are even present in Vive Pro. The Rift also has the smaller quick plug in base stations are so much easier to pack up, move, and set up at a friend's house than trying to move the Vive setup around. But since I wear glasses, the Rift is just too tight on my face and smudges the glasses into my face, so the Pro is really the best all around, and maybe as firmware updates continue they will make it even better. The last such update to HMD and base stations made it track much more smoothly even still using the original Vive base stations (I was not going to buy the whole Vive Pro set with the 2.0 sensors for the price of a good gaming rig!) If anyone has experience with the Vive Pro with the 2.0 sensors and kit, please post if they are better in any ways than the standard ones, would like to know.
Wizkid2552

Postby malexdu » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:40 am

Postby Tony » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm trying to get Dan to post asap folks ;)

Any chance of getting some feedback....no response since May, the silence is deafening!
Malexdu

malexdu

Previous

Return to HTC Vive