Vive pro compatiblity

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Vive pro compatiblity

Postby bombjack » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:11 pm

I plan to change my Vive to a Vive pro.

Will FI in the current version work with the pro?

Christoph
bombjack

Re: Vive pro compatiblity

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Can't see it being a problem ? Just the same with a small increase in resolution isn't it ? I'd like to hear your opinions on it though ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby idefixgallier » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Christoph,

i am eager to know if the higher resolution makes a big difference.
I am playing around with changing the Oculus against a HTC Vive Pro to have a few more details
and maybe readable panels without the magnifyer ...

Please, please please .... if you tested it .... report

Thank you
Martin
idefixgallier

Postby Robert » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

Edit - I got P3D doing amazing in VR in its native VR mode. Not yet in FlyInside though. Something is missing there. See post on page 2 of this thread for details.

It looks like for now there may be some things to work out with the Pro and FlyInside. Though it worked in P3D 4.2/FlyInside, there wasn’t much increase in visual quality other than what the display gets you and my frame rates were cut almost in half. The decrease seemed close to the ratio of pixel counts. FlyInside did it’s reprojection thing, though, and kept it from being too painful, but frame rates really took a hit on the Pro.

I was checking CPU and GPU usage and everything seemed to be idling almost though one CPU core was maxed. GPU wasn’t taxed much at all and wasn’t heating up. I’ll look closer today and get numbers.

But Aerofly FS2 is nuts in the Pro. Never seen anything like it. It’s just beautiful. It’s also no weather, no multiplayer. But it looks much more real now in the Pro, all gauges are easy to read, even fine calibration text on the gauges is easy to read.

I’m just digging into the configurations so there may be a way to get the current version of FlyInside to work better, and there is also SteamVR in the mix dynamically adjusting resolution. Some sorting out to do. But if Aerofly is any indication, there is a huge payoff for flight simulation with the higher resolution. Haven’t tried DCS or XPlane/FlyInside yet. I’ll also give P3D's and FlyInside's native VR support a try. It could be the issues are in the programs themselves or in how FlyInside does its thing. Maybe that will provide a clue.

But damn is Aerofly beautiful in the Pro. It’s like a different sim and feels much more real, more immersion, more eye candy, and so on. It’s a good example of where this can go once we get it sorted.
Last edited by Robert on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby idefixgallier » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you for the good report!

As the vive pro is too expensive for me
- i have an oculus and would have to buy the base station, etc too -
i stumbled over the Samsung Odyssee with the same panel, FOV and resolution
like the vive pro ... for 480$ - already ordered it

Additionally i bought the Aerofly2 too but I hope to have the VR googles with the
higher resolution running in Flyinside or at least native in P3D too ...
idefixgallier

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:14 am

Edit - I got P3D doing amazing in VR in its native VR mode. Not yet in FlyInside though. Something is missing there. See post on page 2 of this thread for details.

I got performance back in P3D and did it by having SteamVR's framerate monitor up while reducing graphics settings to get fewer dropped frames. Change/check/change/check. It didn’t take a whole lot to get it back to a bit over 45 fps so FlyInside could do its thing.

@idefixgallier - you'll probably have the same issue with an Odyssey. I think it’s just the inefficiency of the FSX/P3D code. Even 64-bit P3D 4.2 isn’t using all the resources available to it. Most of my cores are idle and the GPU is way underutilized. This doesn’t bode well for higher resolution displays at least until L-M does some better optimizations. On the plus side, the stuff I turned down in the menus seemed to have close to zero effect on visuals. I still get the benefit of the much-improved display and other Pro features, but P3D doesn’t "pop" like Aerofly.

I tried P3D's native VR support and got virtually identical performance though the visuals seemed a bit better. Not sure if I was really seeing that or what, but there may be something there. I’ll explore native support some more later since it may be the better experience in the Pro. I just need to configure view recentering and the other utility FlyInside features to work natively where I can as well as sort out the interdependence with all the other settings now. Big flight today so that needs to wait.

In the mean time, DCS is gorgeous but not quite as gorgeous as Aerofly. Aerofly is just a dead world though. Still need to check out X-Plane. Haven’t checked out the driving sims yet to know what they look like in the Pro but for the most part the flight sim world doesn’t seem too ready for higher resolution displays.

So upshot is there is benefit to the Vive Pro but it’s not realizing its full potential in P3D yet, at least for me. In Aerofly I can read the millibars scale in the altimeter, the compass correction cards, etc, just by leaning in slightly. It just worked with no changes to anything. Instant beauty. It’s something you have to experience when you get your Odyssey. It’s what the more full-featured sims could be and probably will be, but for now just aren’t. Still love the Pro, though, and it’s so nice in DCS and Aerofly with the tracking, comfort, immersion, and presence. Hopefully I’ll find the secret in P3D.
Last edited by Robert on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Just spent a lot of time in P3D with the Pro and it was actually pretty good. Still not as good as Aerofly, but better than it was. CPU and GPU still loafing, but I set SteamVR back to automatic resolution adjustment and it looks pretty good especially with cockpit textures and such. I had it locked at 30 fps for multiplayer and no skipping. But it certainly could be better.
Last edited by Robert on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Postby Thornfoot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:32 pm

I just got a Vive pro. I see no in-game visual improvement over the Vive in FSX+flyinside. None. I suspect the resolution is getting dialed back (or set to some fixed resolution) by Flyinside, but seriously the text is no more readable than it was before. A major disappointment. Also, even in games that take advantage of the improved. resolution I find that although the screen is noticeably better on the Pro the lenses are worse. The sweet spot is minuscule, so to get all the resolution goodness you have to position the headset exactly.. but even so, unless your IPD exactly matches the fresnel lenses sweet spot one of your eyes is going to be slightly out of focus. The problem is that the IPD dial does not move the lenses, it just does a software move of the image, so the IPD for the image will be correct for you, but the lens sweet spot for both eyes will not be achievable at the same time. Not only is the sweet spot small, but as you look offcenter the image blurs, quite a bit actually. So if you have a program that handles the resolution of the Vive Pro you will still need to turn your head like a chicken so that you can read the text in its full clearness. Really. I'm feeling that I was tricked into wasting a lot of money for a half baked upgrade. That said, when you look straight on at something the image is a healthy improvement over the old Vive, but all that does is give you a taste of what the Pro should/could have been.
Thornfoot

Postby Robert » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Thornfoot - just look at the lenses in the headset as you turn the IPD adjustment knob. They do indeed move. It’s a physical adjustment that software also uses so that your scale in VR matches what you perceive in the real world. All you have to do to know it adjusts the lenses is try it and look. Likewise, you can also adjust the distance from the lenses to your eyes. That’s a push button now that releases the lock and you just move the headset frontpiece towards or away from your head.

Both adjustments were present on the Vive 1 and are still available on the Pro. Just check for yourself.

I think you don’t have it adjusted properly especially if you didn’t know about the IPD adjustment. The Pro is really very good when you wear it properly - at least it is for me. I have very close to the same, if not the identical, view as I do with my Vive. The difference is the comfort level and the screen resolution.

I think there is something missing in FlyInside or P3D, or both, that limits the benefit we are seeing there. But if you have a look at Aerofly FS2, you should be immediately able to see the advantage of the Pro. I haven’t checked X-Plane to test there as I suspect that will help localize the issue to FlyInside or P3D though no guarantee. I did try the native P3D support and clarity seemed slightly better but I may just have been wishful thinking. I hope Dan has a look at things and issues an update if it’s something obvious.

In the mean time, you should look around online. There are plenty of guides and tutorials to how to set up your Vive/Pro. It is the same between them. I think you will have much better luck once you do.
Last edited by Robert on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Postby teiva » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Currently have a Vive with a Vive Pro on order. I have FSX, P3D, X-Plane, AeroFly Fs 2, DCS & War Thunder. Will report on my experiences once I have it setup and running. Thanks to Robert for his updates.
teiva

Next

Return to HTC Vive