Issue with FSX crashing upon launching flight

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Issue with FSX crashing upon launching flight

Postby peteclarkelondon » Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I have taken my CV1 Rift to a friends for a few days and looking to demo some things. I really love the idea of trying FSX in the Rift as so far I have found cockpit simulations the most rewarding things to play. Anyway, trying to get this working on the Steam version of FSX. Initial setup of Fly Inside works...I see the menu in the Rift and a smaller window to the right with the desktop on running FSX. But if I try and change any options it crashes. And if I launch flight the initial progress bar will fill but as soon as it would normally start the game everything crashes. I tried deleting the Fly Inside .cfg file and the FSX one as I saw that mentioned in another thread but same issue.

The error I get is 'Microsoft Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem has cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'. The only option I have is to Close program.

So not a whole lot of useful information...any thoughts on a fix, would love to get this working. FSX works fine when not running Fly Inside. Also tried running with AV disabled, that didn't help.

Thanks in advance.
peteclarkelondon

Re: Issue with FSX crashing upon launching flight

Postby Tony » Tue May 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi mate and welcome from another Londoner (I Hope ) :) Could you post your system specs for us please ? Also disable SLI if you have it as Flyinside doesn't work with SLI.

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby admin » Tue May 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Like Tony said, system info could be helpful. Also, if you have any "log" or "error" files in C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside\ please upload them, they can help narrow down the bug :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby peteclarkelondon » Tue May 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for such a swift response. Not a Londoner any more...living a somewhat more sedate life in Oxfordshire with the occasional commute in...although I do miss the crazyness sometimes!

Anyway, spec I have is running Windosw 8.1, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Nvidia 780. no SLI

Only just starting to look at simulations as they take on a whole other life when running in the Rift and with the flight stick. I can see me upgrading lots of peripherals and the PC will be getting the new Nvidia 1080 when it launches...this is going to get expensive lol.

Thanks again

Pete
peteclarkelondon

Postby Tony » Tue May 10, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi Pete , so you escaped lol good on ya. I live by Heathrow so you probably drive past me all the time :) I think your weak spot is that 780 ? Is it the fast one or the standard one ? Also you should see an improvement with Win 10 if you plan on upgrading mate ? Also do you have the latest Nvidia drivers ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby peteclarkelondon » Tue May 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi Tony,

I plan on getting a 1080 as soon as they release, hopefully at the end of the month and also upgrading to Windows 10 with a clean build then. I'm pretty sure that will resolve whatever gremlin is causing this....can't wait to get stuck in.

In the meantime I will start learning FSX old school style on a monitor so I'm good to go in VR when I get my spangly new card.

Thanks

Pete
peteclarkelondon

Postby Tony » Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 pm

OK Pete :) you'll have to let us all know how the 1080 is and be our guinea pig for it lol any thing we can help with mate just ask ;)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Simon853 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:25 am

I've had the same crash occur loading the initial default flight with P3D and FI. What I've observed is that it's almost guaranteed to crash if the saved flight was saved in 2D panel mode, not virtual cockpit. It doesn't always crash, but if it doesn't and then I switch to VC, FI always subsequently fails to hook the window, (just gets black) until I restart and load a VC saved flight instead.

Si
Simon853

Postby admin » Thu May 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi Pete,

Could you try out this development build, let me know if it fixes the crash?

http://alpha.flyinside-fsx.com/FLYINSIDE_FSX_PRO_1.5008_OVR_1300.exe

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby peteclarkelondon » Sat May 28, 2016 5:31 pm

YAY!!! Sorry, hadn't seen this updated before. Tried the new version and it works! To top it off my 1080 arrived today...so later tonight I get to try it with a 1080 (and it worked well with my 3 year old 780).

I'm totally new to FSX but have been blown away so far. Just magical but I have so much to learn, having just started working through the training missions.

Also, I have a Leap Motion...how easy is it to get that working? And could you possibly point me in the right direction in terms of any mods or additional scenery etc...be keen to find out how all that works. However, initially I just need to learn how to fly a plane.

Anyway, from what I've seen so far this is magical and I can't wait to get stuck in,,,hopefully with my hands in VR via the Leap Motion :) . Will definitely be buying the full version now that it works for me. Thanks again for your help on this.
peteclarkelondon

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1