Is there a virtual keyboard for imported windows?

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Is there a virtual keyboard for imported windows?

Postby Haw-Boo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Folks.

This might be a silly question, so apologise in advance.

I use FI & Leap Motion, and wondering if there is such a thing as a virtual keyboard for use within imported windows that allows us to type directly into them? If not, has anyone got any other solutions working?

Thanks.
CPU i7-6700k (4.6) | GPU GTX980Ti (SC+) | MOBO Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM 16GB
AUDIO SB ZXR | SDD 512gb Samsung EVO | HDD 2tb Samsung SSHD Hybrid Drive | OS Win10 64-bit
SIM FSX-SE | VRH Oculus Rift CV1 | FlyInside-FSX Pro
Haw-Boo

Re: Is there a virtual keyboard for imported windows?

Postby Haw-Boo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:50 am

I was just searching on my mobile, and found out that Windows has an On Screen Keyboard (OSK) in the Ease of Access settings, so going to try that out later. Sounds like a solution possibly.
AUDIO SB ZXR | SDD 512gb Samsung EVO | HDD 2tb Samsung SSHD Hybrid Drive | OS Win10 64-bit
Haw-Boo

Postby admin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Sorry, no virtual keyboard yet. A VR friendly virtual keyboard is on the (quite long) todo list ;)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Haw-Boo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:45 pm

admin wrote:Sorry, no virtual keyboard yet. A VR friendly virtual keyboard is on the (quite long) todo list ;)

Thanks for your reply, that would be great. And I agree, totally low priority. Actually I would say its classed as a feature request :-)
Haw-Boo

Postby Kilstorm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:43 pm

Hello. I have been using the default windows On Screen Keyboard since day one for P3Dv3.2 and highly recommend it. Usually I start up Flyinside and then go under the headset. From Sim I click on show large desktop once P3D is running and at the main menu screen and can easily see and type the airport while in VR using the on screen keyboard. Havent used it inside the sim once the flight has loaded as I have no need for it but as far as setting up a flight with it, its great and after double clicking on Fly Inside to start the sim I pput the headset on and never take it off again until after the flight is over and I've exited P3D.
Kilstorm

Postby Tony » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Great idea and I never thought of that ??? Is the keyboard mouse clickable from within flyinside? Can't try myself as still waiting for my cv1 :(

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Kilstorm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes. I keep it minimized running on the taskbar. Once FI is running I can bring it up, click on the open P3D sim window to bring focus to it and anything I then click on the On Screen Keyboard will be like keystrokes in the sim. To enter an airport code, I just click with the mouse the text bar where I want to type the airport code and then just use the mouse to click the letters on the On Screen Keyboard all while wearing the headset and inside FI.
Kilstorm

Postby Haw-Boo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Kilstorm wrote:Hello. I have been using the default windows On Screen Keyboard since day one for P3Dv3.2 and highly recommend it. Usually I start up Flyinside and then go under the headset. From Sim I click on show large desktop once P3D is running and at the main menu screen and can easily see and type the airport while in VR using the on screen keyboard. Havent used it inside the sim once the flight has loaded as I have no need for it but as far as setting up a flight with it, its great and after double clicking on Fly Inside to start the sim I pput the headset on and never take it off again until after the flight is over and I've exited P3D.

Thanks for your reply, that's great to know it works. I will try it also, and am keen to see it working within FSX - just purely to see if it works. So in theory, we could chat via text with someone while flying, or answer emails. This is what I am hoping. Again, just purely to see if it works :-)
Haw-Boo

Postby Haw-Boo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:19 pm

Kilstorm wrote:Yes. I keep it minimized running on the taskbar. Once FI is running I can bring it up, click on the open P3D sim window to bring focus to it and anything I then click on the On Screen Keyboard will be like keystrokes in the sim. To enter an airport code, I just click with the mouse the text bar where I want to type the airport code and then just use the mouse to click the letters on the On Screen Keyboard all while wearing the headset and inside FI.

to test it works, i wrote this reply from within flyinside using everything mentioned here. used a mix of mouse and leap motion to type. it works perfectly.
Haw-Boo

Postby Haw-Boo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Haw-Boo wrote:
Kilstorm wrote:Yes. I keep it minimized running on the taskbar. Once FI is running I can bring it up, click on the open P3D sim window to bring focus to it and anything I then click on the On Screen Keyboard will be like keystrokes in the sim. To enter an airport code, I just click with the mouse the text bar where I want to type the airport code and then just use the mouse to click the letters on the On Screen Keyboard all while wearing the headset and inside FI.

to test it works, i wrote this reply from within flyinside using everything mentioned here. used a mix of mouse and leap motion to type. it works perfectly.

this is typed from within fsx cockpit :-)

Edit: see attached pic i took with my mobile, so apologise for quality. I typed the above line like this :-) Mouse works fine like this, but to use Leap Motion it would need a much larger keyboard to get best results. But apart from that, it works fine. Now, I have a Samsung mobile, in theory I could now use Samsung SideSync to see my complete mobile screen in cockpit. I could answer emails, texts and even calls (not sure about the calls), but in theory it should work. I will test once i reinstall SideSync.
Attachments
20160609_002801.jpg
20160609_002801.jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
Haw-Boo

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1