SLI woes

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

SLI woes

Postby miaig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi,

First of all let me say Flyinside is a great application, thanks for the effort.

Now, onto the problem:
I have an I7-3770k overclocked to about 4GHz, 32 GB of ram, 2x Nvidia 980 Ti, Windows 7 64bit, Oculus CV1. I have P3D v3.2 and I am using Orbx and A2A add-ons on top.
Before trying FlyInside I would get about 30 fps in P3D. With FlyInside I got 5. I searched the forums to see what I could do about this and I disabled HDR, I reduced autogen to zero. As a result, I would get a consistent 90 fps without FlyInside. With it, I would still get 5, like nothing happened. I disabled SLI (but without physically removing the second card) and now I get about 35 fps with FlyInside, which is much better, but still seems low when comparing it with the 90 I get outside of FlyInside. I know that VR doesn't use SLI at the moment, but so far, this is the only case I know of where having it enabled damages the performance.

Is this a known issue? Is there something I could do to improve the performance further? I will probably try to remove my second card out of the system to see if that does anything.

Thanks,
miaig
miaig

Re: SLI woes

Postby Tony » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi mate and a warm welcome to flyinside :) at this moment in time sli isn't supported. What most people do and what we advise, is to start with all sliders at minimum and work up til you find your "sweet spot". This differs for everyone and it's best to experiment. Flyinside also isn't happy playing with some addons like ezdok. If you have addons causing any issues then post it here and Dan will try his best to look into it for you :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby miaig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. I'll disable the SLI for now, but I still have one question. What is the expected difference between the framerate with and without the oculus? Having 90 without (with a resolution of around 5120x1600) and 30 with the Rift is normal? I mean I would expect some variation, but 3 times worse seems a bit too much.

Thanks,
miaig
miaig

Postby Tony » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:24 pm

You may find the frame rate limiter set to 30 in game. This is to try to get the balance needed for the hmd at 90. So with the fps monitor you should see a steady 30/90 yes ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby admin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi Miaig,

a 3x drop is incredibly unusual. Worst case I see is 50%, but usually more like 90fps monitor -> 70fps with FlyInside. Something unusual is going on but I'm not sure what yet.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby miaig » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Ok, I removed one of the cards and this is what I have found: When the sim starts (the actual sim, not the lobby) I get about 30-50 fps. The moment the "Flying tips" window appears on screen, the frame rate drops to 5 again. The window looks strange too, it looks like an actual Windows application window (border, minimize, maximize and close buttons too) rather than a "sim" window.

EDIT: After more tests, I noticed that I can get back the 30-50 fps if I close the window. The trick however is that closing it from within the Oculus is not enough. If I do that, it still stays open on my primary monitor. If I close it from the monitor too, than the frame rate goes back to whatever it was before the window opened.

Thanks,
miaig
miaig

Postby miaig » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:14 pm

After more tests, I am still unable to improve the frame rate. With all the sliders to the left, P3D runs at 90-120 fps on the monitor. With the Oculus however, it makes no difference. It runs mostly around 30 fps, (with the occasional 50). If a window pops up it drops at 5. If I close the window, both from inside the Oculus and then from the desktop (closing it from the Oculus does not close it from the desktop too), the frame rate is restored to about 30. Surprisingly, moving the autogen sliders to the right doesn't degrade the frame rate that much in the Oculus, except that it runs for a while and then I get an out of memory error (error which I don't get when running P3D by itself, without the Oculus).
miaig

Postby whoispankaj » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Yes because Flyinside also consumes a portion of your VAS. They both run in the same 4gb memory space limitation. :(

Pankaj
whoispankaj

Postby miaig » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Yeah, I know that's what triggering the crash and I am not worried about it. My main problem is that I can not seem to go past 30 fps consistently.
miaig

Return to Oculus Rift CV1