Real Air Lancair Legacy?

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Real Air Lancair Legacy?

Postby jimh20 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi,
I've been slowly reinstalling from scratch, Windows 10 etc., plus P3Dv3 and addons.

All has been working really well, up to and including FlyInside 1.6.

Tonight I installed the Real Air Lancair Legacy V2. To my dismay I couldn't fly any aircraft afterwards as my Pro Throttle and Fighterstick axes and button settings were completely screwed up. I've uninstalled the Lancair and reset all my controls. Everything is back to normal now but I really want my favourite touring aircraft back.

Is anyone using this aircraft successfully in Flyinside/P3Dv3?

Thanks, Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Re: Real Air Lancair Legacy?

Postby aurel42 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:46 am

Ah, a fellow Legacy pilot!

There are currently severe issues with FlyInside and the Legacy, the worst of them being (at least for me, perhaps you can verify that from your end) an extraordinary demand for VAS, especially when combined with the GTN750. Of course VAS shortage can lead to all kinds of problems; not sure if that could explain your controller problems, though? (Also, very few of the controls in the Legacy respond to the blue interaction dot.)

Dan is aware of those issues and promised to look at them, no ETA though.

Until then, we have to make do with other aircraft. I'm currently flying the MilViz 310R, which was nice, for a change, for a while, but by now I'd rather get back into something nippier. I'm open for suggestions. At this point, I'd try anything that has some space for my GTN750 in the virtual cockpit. :)
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Postby jimh20 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:19 am

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Legacy. I don't have any VAS problems at all with it. I have plenty to start the engine and then I just sit there with no control at all.
Like you, I use the GTN750 in any aircraft I fly while in the Rift. In the Legacy the 750 was black and dead, and the 750 was the same in any aircraft I tried following the Legacy, both in the Rift and in P3D started directly.
Luckily, an uninstall, reboot, and restore of all my controllers fixed the 750 problem too.

If you find a good alternative to the Legacy, please let me know!

Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Postby jimh20 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:26 am

Tried the Orbx Lancair iv-p, but it ran out of VAS almost immediately.
jimh20

Postby aurel42 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:28 am

jimh20 wrote:I don't have any VAS problems at all with it.

Huh. If only we could find out why the controls work for me and why you've got enough VAS, then we both would be happy. :)

I'm having a hard time understanding how the Legacy could have such an impact on your system, unless something went seriously wrong during installation. It doesn't do anything special concerning controls, right? The only dll it installs is just used for audio effects, as I understand it.

I remember that the controller settings I applied following the RealAir manual (deadzone, sensitivity) didn't work out for me, so I returned to my previous settings, but they didn't render my controls inoperative, they just messed up my brakes. Since then I switched to using FSUIPC for controller configuration, mainly because it offers better support for my HOTAS and I prefer its precise calibration.

In the Legacy the 750 was black and dead, and the 750 was the same in any aircraft I tried following the Legacy, both in the Rift and in P3D started directly.

I only get a black GTN750 when I put it in a detached window. When I close that window (not when I "hide" it!) the display in the cockpit lights up. But that doesn't seem to be related to your issue, because it would be hard to overlook that detached window in "flat" P3D.

Did you check whether the controller and GTN problems persisted when rebooting the system?

About the VAS issue: I've done a bit of testing there during the beta. When I load the Legacy without GTN in FI, I'm seeing about one GB more VAS usage than with other aircraft I tested, and it eats more VAS in VR compared to "flat" (ie. the difference between "flat" and VR is significantly higher for the Legacy than for other aircraft).

When I add the GTN750 to the Legacy, FSUIPC often gives me an OOM beep during loading (because available VAS drops below 300 MB), while the effect of adding the GTN to any other aircraft is negligable. With the Legacy with GTN, VAS recovered after loading from about 200-400 MB to about 800-900 MB, which is just barely enough for shorter flights. I experienced a series of OOM crashes before I started logging VAS (using FSUIPC) and discovered the Legacy's speshul behaviour on my system.

Since you didn't have my problem, and I didn't have yours, I'd suggest you give the Legacy another try, assuming that perhaps something was somehow awry during the first attempt at installing it?

(I recently migrated from FSX:SE to P3D, so I also started with a fresh install and the Legacy was the first aircraft I installed.)

PS: Thanks for the heads-up regarding the "other" Legacy!
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Postby jimh20 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:05 pm

A slight misunderstanding: I didn't have any vas problems with the legacy as I couldn't get it off the runway!!

I didn't reset my settings as recommended for the legacy, just left them as they were. I had set up controllers using P3D since my re-install, rather than via fsuipc as I had done before. The controls are more precise now, surprisingly!

The control problem and black 750 persisted after a reboot, and also after starting P3D directly, on my triple monitors. I then uninstalled the Legacy, reset all my controllers and buttons, and rebooted. I could then fly normally with the 750 acting normally in other aircraft.

I didn't think to try the Legacy without the GTN 750. In the long interval between pre-order and delivery of the Rift I got accustomed to flying with the 750, and now, for me, it's become an essential.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have reinstated vas monitoring via fsuipc. Here's hoping we can get back into a Legacy cockpit in future.

Jim
jimh20

Postby airwolf » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Even I had massive VAS consumption with Duke V2 (piston in p3d). I am installing FSX one (as that is what realair has for now...what is taking them for an upgrade so long). I am using GTN 750 also, installed via panel (i can work in 2d panel mode only). I thought something happened with VAS over pnw. I don't even get that much vas consumption drainage with other aircraft. There must be some coding difference with Realair birds.
i5820K OC 4.3ghz 2x980 SLI, 16GB, P3d v4, Windows 10 Pro (Latest release), Rift CV1, NV Drivers latest 7/4/17
airwolf

Postby jimh20 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm

I've had the same experience with VAS, using a Lionheart Epic LT, and a Carenado King Air B350i. I'm wary of buying any new aircraft now. If they won't work with Flyinside I don't want to fly any other way.

Jim
jimh20

Postby admin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:55 pm

Keep the list coming guys, VAS data on these aircraft is always useful. If you could let me know if the same aircraft also causes VAS problems in FlyInside 1.52, that would be useful to know as well. There has to be a bug here...
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Oculus Rift CV1