Can't enter VR mode - FSX:SE - "waiting for sim"

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Can't enter VR mode - FSX:SE - "waiting for sim"

Postby neu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:38 am

Hey Guys,

I've got an Oculus headset for a few days to try before I buy it and I'm struggling to have it work with FSX:SE. When I launch Flyinside, it just works perfectly, I can look around in the menu and all is fine, however, even when I load up a flight, I just keep seeing "waiting for sim" and the desktop screen in VR with FSX in 2D window. I guess a "VR window" should load up in the headset when the actual flight starts (with Virtual Cockpit of course)

I was browsing through the forum and the new and I couldn't find any resolution for this issue....anyone? Am I missing something?

I'm really trying to find a solution for this ASAP as I have to give back the headset in a few days, so I should make up my mind if it worth the investment

Thank you!
Greetings, neu
neu

Re: Can't enter VR mode - FSX:SE - "waiting for sim"

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi neu and welcome :) ensure you start in a VC cockpit to start. If you have ezdok try uninstalling that. Also find your fsx.cfg and rename it .old then restart flyinside and see how that goes. Out of interest what are your pc specs and windows version?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby neu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:34 pm

Thank you for the welcome :)

I tried what you suggested, but it's the same :( I'm not sure what do you mean by "starting in VC". It starts in VC by default (also recycled the views). No EzDoc, it's a rather fresh install.

I'm trying to be more specific.

I don't know if it should work like this, but it isn't for me unfortunately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxLbmOmub8

I have the same progress up to the point the load bar reaches the end. But then, I still see the desktop in the virtual desktop, with FSX in windowed mode (with Virtual Cockpit of course). But it won't switch to a VR mode, I never made it into the cockpit.

I attached the Log file, maybe it tells you something. It didn't for me unfortunately :(

System:

- i7 4.0GHz
- GTX 780
- 32GB RAM

Misc:

- EzDOK not installed. TrackIR was, but I also removed that.
- It's a fresh FSX:SE install, and I tried with default flight as well, no addons.
- Onboard graphics disabled
- Two screens, but one disabled (I'm not sure it's necessary, but I had the same results)
- I did reinstall the oculus driver (current, 1.8...I couldn't find 1.7)
- The headset otherwise is working both outside Flyinside and in Flyinside's virtual desktop mode as well.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Best regards, neu
neu

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:41 pm

Your 780 is a bit weak for virtual reality. Some games works but others won't. I think you may be hitting the limit of FSX with flyinside and the rift. The min specs for cv1 are a 970 card. If yours is the 780ti then it should work.

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:43 pm

Also just to be sure, do you have the cv1 and the.monitor connected to the one graphics card ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby neu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Yes, I know it's weak, but I wont spend $1k for VR before I can see it - even if it's slow. Technically it should work, it just probably not really enjoyable. If it works and I see the potential in it, I'll upgrade. That's exactly what I'm trying to find out.
However, this CANNOT be the reason of the issue. Other VR apps work properly, it's something FSX / FI related (and in FI, Virtual desktop functions as well, it's just that it won't switch the VR mode in VC)

CV1 and yes, they are connected to the card.
neu

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:57 pm

I remember something like this before? I'm pretty sure then it was something to do with the onboard graphics still causing a conflict. It's definitely disabled in the bios neu ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby neu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:16 pm

If it wasn't disabled and it would be a problem, than FI's virtual desktop and other VR apps (like demos in the Oculus store) shouldn't work either - but they do. Or am I missing something?

I checked it in the BIOS and it's disabled, and it doesn't even show up in the device manager.
neu

Postby Tony » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:29 pm

In that case I will reiterate that the 780 just isn't powerful enough if everything is set up correctly. To get all the functions working together with fsx and flyinside does take a bit of oompf with the cv1. Is there anyway you can test it with a different gpu (friends) or another pc (friends) ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby neu » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm

I don't know...I mean the Oculus apps and demos DO work, so technically it SHOULD work. Unless there is an explicit limitation in FI, but I don't think that would be the case. I believe it should work, but should be VERY slow. But that's ok for a test.
Unfortunately I can't get a better card now.
neu

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1