What does "Waiting for Simulation" mean?

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

What does "Waiting for Simulation" mean?

Postby r2500 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm

I can't get into VR mode; the system hangs with the "waiting for sim" message. But I don't know how to proceed as I don't know what the message really means. Is the system waiting for a simconnect? Is it waiting for cpu usage to drop to a certain level? Something else. Perhaps if I knew, I could find the troublespot, as I really want to be able to use my brand new VR headset.

Oculus Rift CV1
Windows 10 x64
i7 3770K at 3.5 Ghz
GTX 970
16 GB
FSX (from CDs)

Richard
r2500

Re: What does "Waiting for Simulation" mean?

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Hi Richard and welcome to flyinside :) I see you have the boxed version of FSX? Do you have acceleration? Do you have service pack 1 and 2? Flyinside does work with the boxed version but has a few problems that are different from user to user. Fsx steam edition works perfectly with flyinside. I'm not telling you to buy it but it does go on sale very often and usually on steam for about 5 pounds. You can also try saving your fsx.cfg under a different name and let fsx rebuild and restart to see if that works ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby r2500 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:38 pm

I do have fsx-steam, but have not installed it. I may have to change over, but that's enough of a mess that I'd prefer to struggle getting the current system to work, at least for a while.

The existing FSX is Acceleration, SP1 and SP2. As suggested, I let fsx rebuild the configuration file, but that didn't help. I disabled both exe.xml and dll.xml (which disables all the add on stuff including FSUIPC), but still the same problem...waiting for simulation. I've lowered the simulation settings to the minimum and a set up with a cessna on a dirt strip in the Arizona desert (no buildings and just one tree in the view ahead!). What I see on the monitor is the fsx display (and that lonely desert view) in a window occupying much of the right side, almost as if there should be an equivalent one on the left, which there is not. If I activate mirror view, there are the L/R eye views in a window and they respond to head motion as I would expect. But the fsx window just sits there, a virtual cockpit, but decidedly unresponsive to head motion.

So I am still wondering what's going on behind "waiting for simulation". Surely there's a clue there about what is wrong with me or my system.

Richard
r2500

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Your system and you are fine. I know it's a big pain in the butt but give FSX-SE a try. you can have them run side by side if you have enough HDD space ;)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby fltsim » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:13 am

The topic „What does waiting for simulation mean? “ posted by „r2500“
The topic: „Can´t enter VR-Mode – FSX:SE waiting for sim“ posted by „neu“
and my problem posted in the topic: „Flyinside / FSX-SE / no Virtual Cockpit (VC)
postet by fltsim are similar or the same.
We are waiting for VC- simulation so that oculus switches to 3D-Mode. We are waiting in the VR-mode of FI and when we start FSX there is no switch to VC

In my case my oculus switches to Virtual Cockpit (VC) under one condition:
Only when i start FSX-SE via the button „Free Flight“ then i can get a real VC for a short time!
Then: FSX-SE after some seconds looses the sound and after about 2 minutes FSX-SE crashes
Oculus is still working and goes back to „home“

I tryed some modifications in the settings:
- I reduced display-resolution in Oculus-Rift CV1
- I reduced display settings in FSX from ultra-high to high
But there is no real effect. Or are there other settings in Oculus or FSX we can optimize?

So: my Question is: have we enough power in the Graphic-Card?
„r2500“ has a GTX 970
„neu“ has a GTX 780
„fltsim“ has a GTX 970

And MarkJHarris posted in „Can´t enter VR-Mode – FSX:SE waiting for sim“
„It is a big spend, and all I can say is you do have to plan the best GPU you can afford to go with it. I'm smarting from he cost of the GTX1080 I just upgraded to, but I run lots of add-ons and high settings and all is good in my world.“

The 780 and 970 both obviously have enough power for Oculus working perfect but perhaps not for Oculus+FI+FSX ???. I'm just wondering, if I should make an upgrade from my 970 to a 1070 or a 1080 to solve the problem.

What is the opinion of the experts ??

Best regards, fltsim
Hardware: i7 6700k, ASUS Z170A-Mobo 16GB RAM DDR 4: 2666Mhz, 512GB SSD, Graphic: MSI GTX970, Oculus Rift CV1,
Software: MS-Windows10/64 Pro, FSX-SE, Flyinside 1.6.2

fltsim
fltsim

Postby r2500 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:04 pm

With no solution in sight, I took the plunge and changed to the FSX-SE, following the advice in the two part series starting at https://fsxinsider.com/transitioning-from-boxed-fsx-to-fsxse-part-1-fsx-stripback/. What a pain! But the first flight in a Cessna was wonderful. Since I'm no where near restoring everything, including a lot of scenery, there's the (probably small) chance it will stop working at some point in the future. But right now, SE and Oculus and FlyInside work together as advertised.
r2500

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Could you all try the following beta update? Fixes at-least one case of the "Waiting for Simulator" bug. http://downloads.flyinside-fsx.com/FLYINSIDE_FSX_PRO_1.6209_OVR_1300.exe

As far as tuning frame-rate/memory use, check the following guide: http://wiki.flyinside-fsx.com/index.php/Graphics_Settings_and_Performance

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Mark_R_S » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Hello there,
I was literally about to reply to say mine is having the same waiting for sim issues and finally with that new flyinside patch it works very well. FPS of around 90 here too.
Are the new newest drivers for the GTX1080 still a work in progress? I went back and installed the old drivers that someone said earlier would work. I'm also wondering at high speed for example, standard f-18 600kts there is a noticable amount of stutter at low level although the fps is around 90 flying around St Maarten (Perhaps its refresh rate of the rift) Massively impressed though! Super job! And I wasn't expecting that kind of fps either!!

Fsx Steam edition
Oculus Rift cv1 and runtime v1.3
Intel I7 6700k @4.4ghz
MSI Geforce GTX1080
16gb Hyperx 2400mhz Ram
MSI Z170A chipset

Thanks,
Mark_R_S
Mark_R_S

Return to Oculus Rift CV1