P3D Startup Position

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

P3D Startup Position

Postby MartinW » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Just wondering if I've don't something unusual with my Rift setup, or if I need to enter something in FI's config somewhere.

I have been wondering why every time I load up a new aircraft I'm sat really far back in the cockpit. I can adjust myself forward in the seat and get a much more reasonable feel, I can then save this In my P3D scenario but something can't be right somewhere because as soon as I hit my recenter key to reset the view I'm back to the "too far back" in the seat position.

Is my rift sensor maybe too far away, or can I maybe tell FI somewhere that it's quite a way back? (It's on a shelf behind my flight sim monitor).
System: i7 6700k, 4.2ghz | 32gb DDR4 | GTX1080 | Asus GeneVIII | 500GB M2.SSD | 2TB Hybrid | W1064
VR: Oculus Rift CV1. Leap Motion.
SIM: P3D, FSX, XP11, Saitek Yoke, Throttle & Trim wheel, CH Pro Pedals
MartinW

Re: P3D Startup Position

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Does resetting your head position with the Rift (on the screen when you first start FlyInside, or by tapping the headset) make any difference?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby MartinW » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:05 am

Hi there - no it doesn't. I have also gone back through the Rift setup from scratch as well and moved the sensor to a closer position. None of that helped either. Maybe it's just how it's meant to be?

I have noticed that with the scenario that I saved, when I reset the position using my FI reset button it does now go back to the saved position so one option is to do that for every plane. I've also noticed that all of the jets that's I've tried (F22 for example) the start position is a lot closer, therefore everything is much bigger and the cockpit is nice and clear.

I've yet to find a GA aircraft that I can really say has a clear cockpit, certainly not helped by them all being what I would consider to be too distant (though I don't know it's 100% of the reason).

I wanted to learn to fly properly in the sim and use all the instruments and hence bought P3D and FI, but at the moment I'm just limiting myself to taking off and flying about sight seeing because of this. I'm reluctant to invest in add-on aircraft because it's just too much of a gamble. Who knows if the cockpit will be any clearer or not until after I've bought the add-on. I'm keeping all fingers crossed for X-Plane since the fidelity of the cockpits seems much better in that but my concern is that my X-Plane install is a lot more demanding on the computer so I'm not holding my breath on that one.
System: i7 6700k, 4.2ghz | 32gb DDR4 | GTX1080 | Asus GeneVIII | 500GB M2.SSD | 2TB Hybrid | W1064
MartinW

Postby MarkG » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:05 am

Note that you can use the zoom button to zoom in a bit to read the instruments if you can't read them normally. Also, increasing the render size in the FlyInside options should help.

I'm running with 2000-something for the render width, and I've found that some aircraft are quite readable without zooming, while others are still too fuzzy because of the Rift's limited resolution and the small size of the gauges.

The problem I have is that my in-cockpit position changes every time I switch to exterior view and then back to the cockpit. But, as far as I can tell, only in certain aircraft.
MarkG

Postby MartinW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:22 pm

I've had that changing position thing before as well, but thankfully it was more of an anomaly than a permanent thing.

As for the resolution, I'm on the highest it will go - I forget what that is. 3480xsomething maybe?
MartinW

Postby MartinW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:52 pm

Ah, I just noticed that Tony linked to this thread in the FSX section of the forum: http://forum.flyinside-fsx.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=282

Not a section I've ever really been in since I don't like FSX (even though I own it). It sounds then like I'm far from alone in what I'm seeing. I wonder how much of that can be applied to P3D? I will have to find out but I'm willing to bet the answer is "quite a lot" :)
MartinW

Return to Oculus Rift CV1