How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed

Postby TazX » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 am

Do you get ("expired") messages like "The Rift's HDMI cable isn't plugged in" in the Oculus Home notifications thingie when you have this issue?

Not exactly. Going over at the windows event viewer I get the following error:

{!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available

Its kind of random, reason why its getting on my nerves and hard to troubleshoot (BTW, I'm an engineer ... I know its not random, just gotta figure it out).

Below the faceplate (which is removable) is the socket that the cable is plugged in. This socket is one of the weak spots of the Rift hardware. If you get messages like the one I mentioned, you could try wiggling the cable or the plug* to identify whether you've got a mechanical/electrical problem there. (I should mention that you could also make the problem much worse by doing this, because a defective contact usually gets worse with mechanical strain, so every wiggle will speed up the inevitable degradation of the reliability of this socket.)

The socket is above the faceplate, on the left side. I did take out the faceplate, disconnected the cable and checked if there were any unusual pin configuration. Everything seems fine, so I plugged the cable back in and put on the faceplate.

For testing purposes (although I'm thinking on leaving it on long-term), I have used black opaque tape on the face sensor in order to have the Rift "always on" (I controlled on/ off through a couple of registry files). When the Rift is on, I have wiggled the cable to check for a faulty internal/ external connection, but everything seemed to work alright. I usually get disconnects when placing the Rift on and adjusting it to my face (which believe me, I try to do in a surgical manner :)). My procedure is to first put my faceplate against my face, adjust it, and then work with the straps to fit on my head. It seems sometimes, when I adjust the straps to the back of my head, is when I get the disconnects.

I have ruled out (although not completely) USB power issues. My power management settings are at "high performance" and I don't let Oculus service change it (it does try everytime Oculus Home runs). All my USB ports have been set to not allow windows manage power savings. Also, I have twicked the BIOS to rule out any USB issues ... and since it happens randomly, I don't believe its an USB issue.

There has to be something else. The side straps have some some type of looseness detent so that you can keep the velcro as it is and still adjust the Rift to your head; not sure if these straps have some kind of sensors that detect when you put them on or take them off, since disconnections occur when I put on my headset.

Anyway, still a little frustrated but working on a solution. Hope to have answers soon ...
TazX

Postby aurel42 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm

TazX wrote:I usually get disconnects when placing the Rift on and adjusting it to my face (which believe me, I try to do in a surgical manner :)). My procedure is to first put my faceplate against my face, adjust it, and then work with the straps to fit on my head. It seems sometimes, when I adjust the straps to the back of my head, is when I get the disconnects.

I am 99.9% sure there are no sensors in the strap "extenders". In my humble opinion, this makes it an electrical / mechanical problem, not a driver or setup issue. A replacement cable should be easy to get from Oculus support. I guess that's what I would try next (if I'm wrong, you wasted a bit of time and get a free replacement cable; if I'm right, it will be much easier to negotiate with Oculus support, should the issue turn out to be a problem with the headset itself). I hope I'm wrong. Getting the headset replaced is a painful process (if you purchased it directly from Oculus, at least).
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Postby TazX » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Yup, I think thats probably the best solution.

Thanks for the tips!! :D
TazX

Postby fly4fun » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:25 pm

admin wrote:Could you check whether this beta fixes your issue? http://downloads.flyinside-fsx.com/FLYINSIDE_P3D_PRO_1.6209_OVR_1300.exe

I've been doing some work focused around Oculus disconnect/reconnect recovery :)

Hi folks, is there by any chance a similar fix for fsx version already? I know I am impatient but just got a couple of disconnects again. I wrote about the problem already: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2983 and am psyched to see it solved at least for p3d. gives me hopes the fsx solution is also near.

cheers
CPU i7-4790 - GPU ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB on latest driver - RAM 16gb DDR3 - Drives 2tb HDD 125gb SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Sims - FSX-accel and X-Plane ver 10.51 - CV1
fly4fun

Postby Ridinroun » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:53 am

I don't understand this problem. I too have mostly long flights. You shouldn't have to do anything with the headset or FI. Do you have pause on task unticked in the sim general options? That should be all you need to do and have your PC power options set so that it never sleeps. I get my flight going and then I'm usually on the internet or doing something in another room. Couple times I went out and mowed the lawn while I had a flight in progress and never once have encountered a problem with my flight being disrupted.
MSI Z97-G45 i7-4590 4ghz 16 gb ram 500gb ssd main 500gb ssd for P3D v3 msi gtx 1070
Ridinroun

Postby TazX » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:19 am

@Ridinroun, the problem is there; its an Oculus problem which I have been troubleshooting with Oculus Support for 2 - 3 weeks now. Probably you are one of the lucky ones with a good working CV1, but there are many cases (just take a look at the Oculus Forums) where once you put on/ take off the headset the CV1 shuts-off. Once this happens, FI is not able to get you back to the VR world so its a big problem for some of us.
TazX

Postby Ridinroun » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Oh, the headset. Sorry. I hope they take care of you.
MSI Z97-G45 i7-4590 4ghz 16 gb ram 500gb ssd main 500gb ssd for P3D v3 msi gtx 1070
Ridinroun

Postby TazX » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks!! So far Oculus Support has been very helpful ;)
TazX

Postby MaxAltitude » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:18 am

Tony wrote:Let us know how it's goes, I'm intrigued now ;)

Tony

Same here! btw, Tony...cannot reply to your PM, but answer is It's due tomorrow (Just checked the tracking)
Intel i7-6700K 4.8 NVIDIA GTX 980Ti G1 6GB 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000 2TB HD Seagate Samsung SSD 500gb 850 Evo ASUS Z170 Deluxe Fractal Design R5 case Cooling BE QUIET! Windows 7 64, Rift CV1 SMP3
*The "In" Crowd, FlyInside*
MaxAltitude

Postby MaxAltitude » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:19 am

YIKES! I get my rift tomorrow. I'm glad I found this topic! Thanks
Intel i7-6700K 4.8 NVIDIA GTX 980Ti G1 6GB 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence 3000 2TB HD Seagate Samsung SSD 500gb 850 Evo ASUS Z170 Deluxe Fractal Design R5 case Cooling BE QUIET! Windows 7 64, Rift CV1 SMP3
*The "In" Crowd, FlyInside*
MaxAltitude

PreviousNext

Return to Oculus Rift CV1