How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed

Postby TazX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 am

Hi all,

Did search the forums and internet trying to find an answer/ solution for this issue. Let me summarize the problem:

I fly Prepar3D ... usually long flights above 2 - 3 hours. Once in the air, at cruise altitude, I might want to take the Rift off to stretch my legs, rest on the sofa or deal with othe physiological issues :)

The problem is that once I take the Rift off my head it turns off, and when I try to turn it on again it won't go into Prepar3D, which leaves me out of the VR world.

Just so you understand I have gone through different potential solutions, I have taped the Rift's forehead sensor so that it stays on, I use .reg files to start/ stop the VR Runtime, etc. But it seems that its not just the forehead sensor in the Rift that turns it off, but some other sensor within the straps or something else.

So basically my question: Is there anyway I can maintain the Rift ON whether I put it on or take it off? If not, is there anyway to be able to re-enter the VR World within FlyInside/ P3D once the Rift has been turned off and goes back on?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
TazX

Re: How to maintain CV1 on when headset is removed

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:46 am

Hi mate , welcome to flyinside ;) tricky one this? This isn't really a function that flyinside could have I think ? It's an oculus quirk and very annoying I agree. I'm going to pop this down to feature request and let Dan answer this one for you. You never know what magic he could come up with ???

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby TazX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks Tony. Tried (and keep trying) different solutions; I'll keep you posted if I come up with news.

I posted the same message at the Oculus boards, in order to work out a potential HW solution. But the reason why I'm posting here is because most games I play on the Rift are able to re-connect to the VR world after an OFF/ ON event; somehow Flyinside/ P3D is not able to get back.

Once again, thank you for your help and support.

Best!
TazX

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:14 am

Just a quick thought on this. Does fsx or p3d auto pause on disconnect from oculus runtime? Maybe that's why it won't reactivate on resumption of the rift ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby TazX » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:26 am

Great point!! Let me try it out tonight and I´ll get back to you :)
TazX

Postby Tony » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Let us know how it's goes, I'm intrigued now ;)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 pm

Could you check whether this beta fixes your issue? http://downloads.flyinside-fsx.com/FLYINSIDE_P3D_PRO_1.6209_OVR_1300.exe

I've been doing some work focused around Oculus disconnect/reconnect recovery :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby TazX » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:18 am

@Tony:

Checked last night but no joy; once the headset disconnects its impossible to get back in the VR world within FlyInside/ P3D (as suggested, with P3D not pausing when the task is unfocused). The following is logged at the time of disconnect:

25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [LifeCycle] proximitySensorEvent() Start
25/10 22:22:47.202 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available
25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [LifeCycle] Proximity Sensor: false
25/10 22:22:47.202 {!ERROR!} [OAFInterface] GetHMDInfo: USB Host Info was not available
25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [LifeCycle] Screen Off, Good Night
25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [LifeCycle] Inactive Focus: 7072 (Sideloaded)
25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [LifeCycle] Setting Focus: 0 (Unknown)
25/10 22:22:47.202 {INFO} [Server] OAF is requesting focus change to pid: 0 (no process, blank screen)
25/10 22:22:47.203 {INFO} [Server] Connection closed for pid: 3988, file: oculus-overlays.exe

Strange thing is I have the forehead sensor completely covered, so when I take off the Headset I don't understand why the Rift disconnects. My hypothesis is that the headset might have other sensors within the straps, but I am not sure about this.

Just in case someone has the same problem, have a read at this (will try again tonight and let you know the outcome):

https://forums.oculus.com/community/dis ... service/p1

@admin:

Great, will check tonight the beta and let you know how it goes :)

Just out of curiosity since I haven't read anything about it in these forums, isn't anyone having this issue when taking off their headsets? (its not a faulty HMDI or connection problem ... checked on it first).

Thanks for your help and support. Hope to be able to give you good news tonight!
TazX

Postby TazX » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:23 am

Ok, I got news :)

First off, I tweaked Windows Power Options and BIOS settings to try and solve the Rift issue. It seemed to work at first, and to be honest it seems more robust as a solution, but I still got "some" disconnects when taking off/ putting on the headset. It happens when I slightly press my face to the headset in order to accomodate both; I suspect and would like to investigate if the faceplate has something to do with it ... will keep testing it.

Now for the GREAT news:

@admin: Tried your beta and it worked PERFECTLY!!!! :mrgreen:

Executed FlyInside, started a flight and forced a disconnect in mid-flight. As usual, Rift shuts-off while the Sim is still running in my screen. When the Rift is alive again (by checking Oculus Home) and I see that P3D is tracking headset movement again, I put on the Rift and press the "O" key in the remote. It will go to one of the Oculus UIs (not the one with the fireplace, but the one with a big square in the center which shows like a broken connection) and if you press "O" again in the remote it will take you inside P3D's VR world. Sometimes I have to re-center my position within FlyInside (I have a HOTAS button for that matter) and I am back in business.

So in conclusion: I still have to find out a solution for the sporadic disconnects with the Rift, but the FlyInside team is doing a great job on reconnecting with P3D when the headset shuts off. Good job y'all!!!

Thank you for a great support and help! I'll make sure to post any new findings so everyone is well informed.

Best regards,
TazX

Postby aurel42 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:01 am

TazX wrote:First off, I tweaked Windows Power Options and BIOS settings to try and solve the Rift issue. It seemed to work at first, and to be honest it seems more robust as a solution, but I still got "some" disconnects when taking off/ putting on the headset. It happens when I slightly press my face to the headset in order to accomodate both; I suspect and would like to investigate if the faceplate has something to do with it ... will keep testing it.

Do you get ("expired") messages like "The Rift's HDMI cable isn't plugged in" in the Oculus Home notifications thingie when you have this issue?

Below the faceplate (which is removable) is the socket that the cable is plugged in. This socket is one of the weak spots of the Rift hardware. If you get messages like the one I mentioned, you could try wiggling the cable or the plug* to identify whether you've got a mechanical/electrical problem there. (I should mention that you could also make the problem much worse by doing this, because a defective contact usually gets worse with mechanical strain, so every wiggle will speed up the inevitable degradation of the reliability of this socket.)

* (while covering the proximity sensor with a finger so the Rift doesn't just shut off while you're testing; you want the white LED to go out when you cover the sensor, then wiggle the cable and watch whether the LED lights up in orange and you get an "isn't plugged in" message)
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1