GPU load at maximum?

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: GPU load at maximum?

Postby jimh20 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 pm

@Alan I've done some messing around despite what I said before! I'm convinced that I'll never get back to where I was before ASW. Then, I could fly with Flyinside at the highest setting, and P3D at very dense settings indeed. Today I've tried changing Nvidia drivers. 375.86 is a disaster of course, 375.70 prevented Flyinside from opening P3D into VR. P3D opened in a window, no VR. I'm now using 375.57, which seems equal to 372.90 performance wise.
To be able to use higher settings in P3D I've had to go down to the second highest setting in Flyinside. Although the settings I'm now using are lower than before, Process Explorer shows that while the 6700 has plenty to spare, the 1080 has so little headroom now I wouldn't want to load it any further. How it coped before is a mystery. 1969 E-type? Lucky you! I had a 420, but that was long ago. I also had an Alpha GTV. Memories! ;)

@whitav8 I might have a look at Aerofly, but when I'm not messing around trying to get P3D and Flyinside working for me, I help with a VA, and lately I've not been much help!! I've made up my mind to have a serious look at XP11 when Dan is satisfied with his work for it.

Regards, Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Re: GPU load at maximum?

Postby fenflame » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:02 am

jimh20 wrote:@Alan I've done some messing around despite what I said before! I'm convinced that I'll never get back to where I was before ASW. Then, I could fly with Flyinside at the highest setting, and P3D at very dense settings indeed. Today I've tried changing Nvidia drivers. 375.86 is a disaster of course, 375.70 prevented Flyinside from opening P3D into VR. P3D opened in a window, no VR. I'm now using 375.57, which seems equal to 372.90 performance wise.
To be able to use higher settings in P3D I've had to go down to the second highest setting in Flyinside. Although the settings I'm now using are lower than before, Process Explorer shows that while the 6700 has plenty to spare, the 1080 has so little headroom now I wouldn't want to load it any further. How it coped before is a mystery. 1969 E-type? Lucky you! I had a 420, but that was long ago. I also had an Alpha GTV. Memories! ;)

@whitav8 I might have a look at Aerofly, but when I'm not messing around trying to get P3D and Flyinside working for me, I help with a VA, and lately I've not been much help!! I've made up my mind to have a serious look at XP11 when Dan is satisfied with his work for it.

Regards, Jim

Jim,

Well here's where I am now. Just bought a 1070 card......and upgraded the processor last week. I'm running pretty good with the following:

Latest NV driver (chose the custom installation, unchecked the 'GeForce Experience, and checked the 'clean install' checkbox)
FI 1.7 set to the highest resolution, unchecked the lock framerate, unlimited frames in P3D (I lose about 10fps by locking it to 60)
Have full Orbx suite loaded (Unchecked minor roads and traffic in orbx vector settings)
MyTraffic Pro 6a set to 15% for aircraft density
P3D Graphic Settings on High Detail, 2048, Autogen on 'Normal'
Shadows and Reflections off....this is a huge FPS killer for me. I don't really miss it inside VR.
I use AS16 and ASCA weather and clouds. Recently they did some bug fixes and it runs awesome now.
A2A Cessna 172, which is quite a bit heavier on resources than most other small planes because of the complexity of the modelling, but I love it because the systems and all the noises are extremely realistic.
Depending on where I'm at I'm seeing 32/90 to 60/90 with no drops outs from /90 at any time. For me it was AS16 that seemed to be the major culprit until I updated it with the lateest patch.
Sure there's compromises there, but the sim is much smoother.

Aerofly 2 is a game changer with regards to VR flight, but it is very very limited on features. The basic flight model is actually the most realistic of all the sims IMHO. For the areas they do have full coverage the graphics are nothing short of mind blowing. Just put a Cessna on the airfield at the Grand Canyon and doe circuits and it will bring a smile on your face. Its worth the entry price for that alone. It really does show what can be achieved with todays hardware. THat said, P3D and FSX are the full package and it will be a while until Aerofly gets to the same level of features. Though its a very promising product. I will certainly keep up to date with it as it progresses.

I bought X-Pane 10 with the free U/G to 11. so , like you I'm waiting to see how that turns out.

Cheers, Alan.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Previous

Return to Oculus Rift CV1