New here, O-Rift ?, and loving FlyInside

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

New here, O-Rift ?, and loving FlyInside

Postby caaront » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello fellow flight simmers, I am pleased to join the forum, I hope to see friends from other forums and make new friends.

I am loving VR, and FlyInside very much.

I am not flying with the Oculus Rift or Vive however, I am using Riftcat and Vridge with my Android phone with a 6" 1920x1080 screen and am very happy doing so for however long it takes me to save up for the Oculus Rift.

FI is working very well with my set up, no complaints at all.

I am curios about Oculus Rift and have a couple of questions about it.

What in inches is the screen size of the O-Rift, and what is the resolution?

As stated before I have only experienced VR (Flying in Aerofly FS 2 through Steam VR and P3D through FlyInside every day) on my cell phone, 1920x1080 resolution on a 6" screen, and I love it.

So what can I expect as far as maybe a bigger screen/view, and how much more resolution, etc...

I am a disabled veteran on a small monthly budget, so O-Rift will be a huge investment for me, a huge one, will have to do without many perks (eating out, sodas, etc...) for months, much more than that actually, but thus far with VR on just my cellphone my time and enjoyment in my sim have increased by tenfold, so the investment will be worth it.

I like to zoom in my scale so I feel like I am at the controls and not looking over the pilots seat from the rear seat, but I lose some definition by doing so, but the immersion distracts me from that mostly, but if the screen is larger than 6" will I have a bigger picture to begin with and notice a big improvement there?

And will everything be even sharper and more detailed, and by how much of a percentage?

I am loving my phone set up, but will I still be even further blown away and impressed with VR once I have the O-Rift.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from you.
caaront

Re: New here, O-Rift ?, and loving FlyInside

Postby pegruder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Welcome friend!

Specs wise, is 2160 x 1200 split between both eyes, so somewhere in the ballpark of 1080p per eye - which isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I did a short video review here: https://youtu.be/LbMxS9I_Sos
1080p sounds great but when its just inches from your face you can almost see the pixels. Also looking into the distance or trying to read the in-cockpit displays and gauges are a bit of an issue as well. However with FI's zoom feature, a quick tap of a user assigned button and your zoomed in to read or see what you need, another tap and your back to normal. Now Im sure this will be an improvement over what your current setup is but its tough to say by how much. If I were to guess maybe twice as good? You mentioned your phone's total screen res being 1080p. The Rift's is 1080 per eye so it will be an improvement, just depends if that much is worth the high cost to you. My opinion would be - keep waiting and saving as you mentioned your budget, because Im sure the next gen headsets should be leaps and bounds past the current gen. Best part is if they aren't - I'm sure you can pick up the CV1 at a fraction of the cost at that time!

Hope that helps!
pegruder

Postby caaront » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Thank you.
caaront

Postby PercyR » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:08 am

Hi All,

I'm a new member to the FlyInside forum and had a quick search to help with a problem that I'm having but couldn't find an answer on the forum so I'm hoping that you might be able to help me.

I see that on this thread that you have been able to successfully use Vridge Riftcat to imitate the Oculus Rift to play FlyInside but this has not been my case.

I have Vridge Riftcat installed on both my Windows 10 64 bit PC (which is a VR capable PC) as well as on my two Android phones I've been trying it on. 

I also have also the Steam Edition of Flight Simulator installed, SteamVR, Oculus 1.3 runtime together of course with the trial version of FlyInside.

I can pair either of my Android phones with the PC Vridge Riftcat OK and when I try to play SteamVR games Vridge Riftcat correctly says its hosting SteamVR and I get the test image on the phone but when I start the FlyInside.exe (which is in the same folder as the FSX.exe) I get nothing streaming to the phone. However when I start the FSX.exe I get Flight Simulator streamed to the phone but in windowed mode.

I've also tried selecting the "play Oculus Rift Games" option and then opening the FlyInside.exe but I get nothing on the phone, not even a test image. Am I doing something wrong?

For reference, the two Android phones I have tried it on is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Vridge for Gear VR properly installed and a ZTE Axon 7. Both of them are recognised in the PC Vridge Riftcat.

I would be grateful of any assistance you can provide.

Thanks in Advance.

Kind Regards
PercyR
PercyR

Postby caaront » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:26 am

Just saw this and driving some distance tyoday to the VA, will try to get back tonight or tomorrow.
caaront

Return to Oculus Rift CV1