New User with Problems

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

New User with Problems

Postby jetman7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi, everybody--I have been following the development of flyinside for some time but decided to take the plunge after the recent price cut on the Rift. My Rift is now fully operational and runs on Oculus as well as Steam with no problems. I downloaded the trial version of flyinside for FSX and the download and installation appeared normal. I am able to see the opening screen for FSX but as soon as I hit the "load" button, the screen goes black and that's it. When I take off the Rift and look at the desktop. The FSX window has been resized to about 1/4 of full screen and is just black.
When I close out of flyinside and restart FSX by itself, it restarts normally and loads flights into the normal full screen virtual cockpit view. Any idea what is going on? My system is an intel i7 at 3.2 ghz, GTX 1060 6GB, 12GB ram, 64-bit windows 7 with SP1. Normally FSX runs at about 75-100 fps.
I'd really appreciate any help you can offer to get this running. I consider flyinside a real breakthrough and as a real-world pilot I would like to use this for training, etc.
Thanks!
jetman7

Re: New User with Problems

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 pm

I take it you have FSX-SE ? If yes then disable Steam VR in the "opt in to betas" section and run steam standard. If another issue then save your fsx.cfg somewhere and let FSX rebuild. Also ensure you are not running EZDOK or similar camera utility.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby jetman7 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi, Tony--thanks for your reply. But, no, I am using the FSX boxed edition. While waiting for my question to post, I searched for "black screen, oculus" on the forum and quite a few responses showed up. There were a number of common causes, including the ones you mentioned, but one of the most common was the use of add-on aircraft. My default flight uses a Carenado Archer II, so I switched to a native stock C172 and a different airport and saved it as my default flight. That did it! I must say that having the sim load properly and finding myself in the left seat of a C172 at a local airport in full VR was an "OMG" moment. Flyinside is truly an awesome leap forward for personal flight simulation. Wow.
An interesting side note to this story is that once I got flyinside to load FSX with the stock aircraft, I was able to reload my old default flight with the Carenado while still in VR and it worked fine! No sure why it won't initialize that way, but it's not a big deal, this works for me! Thanks for your help!
jetman7

Postby htm2112 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 pm

jetman7 wrote:...finding myself in the left seat of a C172 at a local airport in full VR was an "OMG" moment.

Yea, no kidding. My thoughts exactly. I was stunned with the level of realism and presence. And I can tell you, it's amazingly close. I have a Sport Pilot's licence so I only fly a Cessna 162 Skycatcher at my local airport, but I have flown a 172. If you make sure you set everything to hard and disable auto rudder, it's pretty much the same experience as flying.

I wish there was a Cessna 162 addon that works with the Steam Edition, so I could compare with something I have a bunch of hours in.

Many thanks to the developer of FlyInside!
System: i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 SC, Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512GB, Win 10 64 bit
VR: Oculus Rift CV1
SIM: FSX-SE
htm2112

Postby mikenewell » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

I must say that having the sim load properly and finding myself in the left seat of a C172 at a local airport in full VR was an "OMG" moment. Flyinside is truly an awesome leap forward for personal flight simulation. Wow.

I could not agree more. I have been flying heavies in FS since the release of FS98. I did the same to get acclimated by starting a 172 at a local airstrip. Absolutely amazing! I had to keep a bucket near for a while at first but I couldn't step away. Took a while for me to take the plunge, and I went through some pretty intense troubleshooting with the Oculus setup, Video card upgrade, USB card upgrades Driver updates, and even ended up scrapping the old OS and upgrading to Windows ten. Quite the little journey, but so glad I kept with it. I am extremely excited to see Touch support coming, Can't wait.
mikenewell

Return to Oculus Rift CV1