Resolution and FXAA don't seem to do anything

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Resolution and FXAA don't seem to do anything

Postby WebMaximus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I'm using the Rift glasses with the latest version of FlyInside for P3D and I'm on version 3.2.

Like most people I wish the resolution was a bit better and here's my question...in FI I know there's a setting for the resolution and I have it set to 2880x1620 but I also tried the highest resolution and I can't see any difference. Isn't that weird? I also can't see any difference looking at the FPS...it's like nothing changes but the value on the settings page.

I've also tried enabling/disabling FXAA but can't see any difference in that case either.

What's your experience playing around with these settings, do you see any actual difference inside the sim?
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Re: Resolution and FXAA don't seem to do anything

Postby gcbraun » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Would love to know also! I just bought a 1080 Ti and I hoped that I could get sharper displays.
Intel 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - GTX 1080 Ti 11gb - 32Gb RAM - 2tb SSD
Windows 10 - Oculus Rift CV1 (Flyinside)
Prepar3D v3.4 / X-Plane 11
gcbraun

Postby WebMaximus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm using a 980Ti but I did try a 1080 before the 1080Ti was released and just like you I was hoping I would see an improvement but nothing so I returned the 1080.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby rossj202 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:53 am

I agree 100% with you webmaximus
rossj202

Postby AliasMrJones » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:34 am

I am running at the highest resolution and definitely see a difference vs the lower resolutions. The difference is more pronounced compared with the lowest res. All of the instruments are sharper and easier to read. It isn't the same as turning your monitor res up because the Rift resolution doesn't change, it is just a somewhat sharper image, especially things like text.
AliasMrJones

Postby Mich » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:31 pm

WebMaximus wrote:I'm using the Rift glasses with the latest version of FlyInside for P3D and I'm on version 3.2.

Like most people I wish the resolution was a bit better and here's my question...in FI I know there's a setting for the resolution and I have it set to 2880x1620 but I also tried the highest resolution and I can't see any difference. Isn't that weird? I also can't see any difference looking at the FPS...it's like nothing changes but the value on the settings page.

I've also tried enabling/disabling FXAA but can't see any difference in that case either.

What's your experience playing around with these settings, do you see any actual difference inside the sim?

...make sure you restart FI after setting the resolution otherwise you will not see the benefit as the setting will not be applied properly in the .ini file. 4K is definitely a betterment...and 1080 Ti makes a nice difference particularly in XP11.
Mich

Postby WebMaximus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:55 am

Mich wrote:...make sure you restart FI after setting the resolution otherwise you will not see the benefit as the setting will not be applied properly in the .ini file. 4K is definitely a betterment...and 1080 Ti makes a nice difference particularly in XP11.

I do restart FI after changing the resolution. FI is even kind enough to remind you any changes to the resolution won't have any effect until FI is restarted.

Still though I can't see any difference what so ever between 4K and one step below that (don't recall the exact values from the top of my head) which I find odd. Especially if this means I actually could have higher resolution if I only could understand what I need to do to have FI use my 4K setting. I have even tried enabling the magnifying glass in FI which recommends you should be using 4K to use this feature and I've then tried using the magnifying glass looking at small objects in 4K as well as in the resolution below that which is the one I'm currently using but again...no difference what so ever and far to blurry to be of any good use. Instead I'm using the binocular zoom which really helps a lot trying to figure out what a distant taxi sign says for example.

Since you mention XP maybe it's different from the P3D-version of FI since I'm on P3Dv3.2 using version 1.71 of FI which is the latest available version of FI for P3D.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby adachi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 am

I agree with you .. The resolution change DOES work, after restart and that's great.

But checking the FXAA box, restart FI .. doesn't appear to make any difference to the visual fidelity expected.
Intel 2500K @ 4.2Ghz - GTX 1080 8GB - 16GB - Windows 10 CU - HMD = Pimax 4K / 1.1.92 ( Vive version FlyInsideXP Pro 1.81 )
adachi

Postby WebMaximus » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 am

adachi wrote:I agree with you .. The resolution change DOES work, after restart and that's great.

But checking the FXAA box, restart FI .. doesn't appear to make any difference to the visual fidelity expected.

Well...in case you think changing the resolution does any actual difference then you don't agree with me ;) because I don't see that as has been mentioned in the previous posts above.
Richard Åsberg
WebMaximus

Postby adachi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:46 pm

Mich mentioned about the resolution :/
Intel 2500K @ 4.2Ghz - GTX 1080 8GB - 16GB - Windows 10 CU - HMD = Pimax 4K / 1.1.92 ( Vive version FlyInsideXP Pro 1.81 )
adachi

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1