Flashing black every so often

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flashing black every so often

Postby Csnaviator » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 am

Hi

Can anyone help with this issue.

Whilst in using my CV1 I get a flashing black screen / flicker momentarily. It's as if a strobe light is flashing pixels out. I've got all lights turned off on aircraft to test and it still does it.

A better description maybe a "blink" that's what it feels like whilst wearing and flying

Help please

Thanks
Craig
Csnaviator

Re: Flashing black every so often

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Craig that almost sounds like ASW kicking in ? What are your specs again mate? If you can video it, that would help ? Also check your Flyinside FPS, if that drops too low that could be it.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby lebull » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Out of curiosity, are you running ActiveSky? I'm suspicious that it is causing some stuttering for me every few seconds.
Rig: Win10, i5-4590, 8gb Ram, 970gtx, Oculus Rift
Software: FSX, Rex hd airport textures, Active Sky 2016, Navigraph
Planes: QW757
lebull

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Can you guys let us know what sim this is happening in ? Plus, does it happen in other sims/games ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby lebull » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 pm

I only have the FSX version. I did some playing around, and it seemed to happen even without active sky.

I also notice that in the mirror window, it flashes the little windows focus effect at about the same interval. The next thing I am suspicious of is does this happen with/without any virtual windows open.

If this is the same symptom as OP, it is very subtle (maybe only a single frame at a time), but still noticable and a little discomforting.

Tomorrow, I can spend some time and do a little more digging.

Few notes:
970gtx
Win10
FSX:SE
Rex hd airpot textures
Active Sky 16 (happens when not running)
Navigraph
QW757
That one janky russian 737 freeware
FSUIPC error on startup (I think the former installed an old version).
lebull

Postby lebull » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Did some trying out... definitely seems to be a problem with FSX and FlyInside. So far, I am able to reproduce this by launching FlyInsideFSX and making sure to trip the rift's proximity sensor. I am scrolling in chrome, the scale of the browser changes during these flickers. It's like someone is tapping the control key.
lebull

Postby Stevil » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 am

lebull wrote:Did some trying out... definitely seems to be a problem with FSX and FlyInside. So far, I am able to reproduce this by launching FlyInsideFSX and making sure to trip the rift's proximity sensor. I am scrolling in chrome, the scale of the browser changes during these flickers. It's like someone is tapping the control key.

Offtopic but please input your specs in your signature so we don't need to search for it through all the posts.
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Postby lebull » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Stevil wrote:
lebull wrote:Did some trying out... definitely seems to be a problem with FSX and FlyInside. So far, I am able to reproduce this by launching FlyInsideFSX and making sure to trip the rift's proximity sensor. I am scrolling in chrome, the scale of the browser changes during these flickers. It's like someone is tapping the control key.

Offtopic but please input your specs in your signature so we don't need to search for it through all the posts.

Yupyup, done. Thanks!
lebull

Postby Greyman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 am

It might be worth checking that it isn't an issue with the cable on the Rift. I was getting occasional blackouts and was initially thinking they were just temporary versions of the black screen bug, but as they tended to happen when i moved my head a little more than usual, to get in closer to read a display for example, i then checked the lead. I have been keeping my eye on my lead for a while, as the clip that fastens it to the frame of the rift, appears to cause a fairly severe kink in the cable.

It still works for most of the time, but i have now ordered a new cable and that will hopefully appear in the next day or so.

This will probably not be causing your problem, but it might be worth confirming before taking up too much of the devs' time.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby lebull » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

Greyman wrote:It might be worth checking that it isn't an issue with the cable on the Rift. I was getting occasional blackouts and was initially thinking they were just temporary versions of the black screen bug, but as they tended to happen when i moved my head a little more than usual, to get in closer to read a display for example, i then checked the lead. I have been keeping my eye on my lead for a while, as the clip that fastens it to the frame of the rift, appears to cause a fairly severe kink in the cable.

It still works for most of the time, but i have now ordered a new cable and that will hopefully appear in the next day or so.

This will probably not be causing your problem, but it might be worth confirming before taking up too much of the devs' time.

Not sure about OP, but its doubtful in my case. My black flash is only for a frame or two when the headset is displaying flyinside, consistently about 3 to 5 seconds apart, and is accompanied by the windows focus animation. I can replicate the latter symptoms with the headset resting on a desk and making sure the proximity sensor is triggered(tm).
lebull

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1