Touch Support - Not what we expected

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Touch Support - Not what we expected

Postby ChrisOak » Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm realy realy disapointed about this Touch integration in X-Plane.

Every movement is very uncertain. Many gauges and switches don't work, though the ability is depicted. Neither with planes on stock nor with payware (i.e. fjs 727). If it seems to work, its very difficult to make a accurate movement. Too often without success.
Did you ever try to fly with touch. If so, post a video. I hope, i'm just too silly and need time to fly with touch controller by and by.

The assignment of functions to the touch buttons are very restricted. No double-assignments are able (Touch Button and! Keyboard). So i need keyboard, flystick and touch. Not a good idea.

And frankly, this blue hand is terrible. Make it more human colored. Yea, its more a minor issue.

This isn't what we excpected. Pre Alpha 01. Sorry, but you would have been better to wait. Maybe the task is too challenging for such a small team.

Nevertheless, thanks for all your efforts. I appreciate your hard work.

ChrisOak
i7 6700K 4.6GHz, 32GB, Nvidia 1080ti, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming, Oculus Rift with Touch, X-Plane 11 and FFS, t.flight hotas X
ChrisOak

Re: Touch Support - Not what we expected

Postby Tony » Mon May 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi mate. First off, great feedback and it's appreciated.

I'm not on the dev team and have no technical knowledge of what goes under Flyinsides hood ;) but from what I've seen and tested I am very impressed. To have a virtual hand doing what touch does is awesome. "Should of waited" ? For what ? This is all new tech and has to be tried before it gets better, and the future holds countless possibilities for us simmers :) I know it's hard to correctly map every add-on cockpit correctly but I'm sure if you let us know what your favourite is then it can be looked at and hopefully improved.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby lebull » Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

For what its worth. I've found that the xPlane interaction is much less consistent than FSX's. Particularly, things that are anything but a single button press doesn't always work as expected. For instance, I have yet to figure out how to keep the ignition switch held in the stock 172, and I can hardly see the little helper indicator. Trying to use the trim with touch was rough in either cause, though.

I was going to put this in a separate post, but I feel like its still on-topic.

There are also some behavioral things that I think could be improved on, however. Once again, I think just a flight in the 172 can be a good demonstration. When I try to grab the throttle, I press the grip and press A, and hold the trigger. That brings up the interaction menu (I guess that can be rebound somewhere), so I have to move that out of the way and remember to just use the grip and trigger. Once I grab the throttle, I can move it back and forward. As I physically move my head look up, however, my virtual hand moves twice as far away as was since I'm using the distance scaling feature. That's feature is pretty much required for me to not hit the edge of my desk. I play around and once again feel where my throttle... kind of... is, but while I move back and forward, my engine cuts out. Turns out I can also grab the mixture at the same time. I feel like these things could be avoided or smoothed over by kind of ignoring the virtual hand while you are grabbing on to something. I don't mind my virtual hand teleporting around as long as long as it controlling what I want it to.

I definitely think already that using touch can be a lot more productive than what I was expecting before trying this out. Hell, I can actually use the fmc now without it being in a separate window! I appreciate the work that went into 1.8 and I'm glad I went ahead and got it for xPlane as well. Also, I honestly don't mind the hands (Eiffel 65 / 10).
Rig: Win10, i5-4590, 8gb Ram, 970gtx, Oculus Rift
Software: FSX, Rex hd airport textures, Active Sky 2016, Navigraph
Planes: QW757
lebull

Postby Francois » Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 pm

I like the touch integration with P3D but I feel there are some things that can be improved upon.

1. Can distance scaling be used for reach, but disabled while you are grabbing something? So that you can still move something using 1x, but 2x to be able to reach it without putting your hand through the monitor.
2. Can we have a feature where you need to touch or press the index button. The current hover-over-button-with-straight-index-finger method feels a little awkward.
3. I can't seem to grab things out of view, e.g. the flap lever on my piper. I have to look down to grab it.
4. I can't seem to turn my trim more than one revolution without first releasing.
5. I really wish we can pinch to interact knobs and dials. The straight finger thing is not natural.

Otherwise it is pretty great. :D
6700K intel cpu - GTX Titan X on latest driver - 16gb ram 3000hz DDR4 - 1tb SSD - Win 10 x64 - P3D ver 3.2, Oculus Rift CV1, Leap Motion, P3D Plugins: Orbx Vector + Global + PNW, REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds + Trees, ActiveSkyNext, A2A Comanche 250
Francois

Postby ente » Tue May 02, 2017 2:10 pm

After testing out the touch support this afternoon for a short time (XP11), I am quite pleased with the implementation, but would have to agree with some of the comments people are making and would like to make a few personal observations, suggestions, and queries of my own;

I do quite like the virtual hand however the colour is a bit odd, and it would be nice if both colour and transparency were adjustable.

It would be nice to have a 'confirm' of sorts as suggested in another thread as it is very easy to accidentally hit buttons and switches you do not intend to. Personally I have not been using the pointing index finger method of activation and simply keep my index finger resting on the trigger which makes me think that would be a perfect 'confirm' button to press a button or lock onto a virtual slider. This way you could hover over activation points until you reach the one you intend to and press it at your leisure which would be nice where two buttons are close together or similar to the GPS buttons where there is a top press, upper knob and lower knob.

The trim in the C172 I find impossible to use with the touch controller, it is way too sensitive and unpredictable making it impossible to make minor adjustments, can the trim at least be default mapped to the A and B buttons or something temporarily?

Is there an intention to be able to grab the yoke with the touch controller in the future, this is already possible with the vive controllers is it not?

I find it an odd choice to have the right joystick control the yoke and yet he rudder appears to be controlled by nothing nor does the left joystick appear to operate anything. I am used to using an xbox controller which XP11 default maps quite well, with left joystick for the yoke and right joystick for the rudder. Is there the ability to change the mapping of the touch controller via flyinside, since XP11 will apparently not recognize the controller at all to be able to map controls. Is there a config file for example which I could edit to remap things?

I also have the problem where you cannot start the C172 with the touch controller it seems impossible to keep it in the start position and keeps flicking rapidly back and forth.

It would be nice to be able to break out of a drag path somehow without having to move away from the path, so if you were having to hold the trigger down for example you could simply, hover, 'trigger' to engage, drag, then release trigger where you want. Currently it seems quite difficult to make accurate minor adjustments to things using the drag paths as you have to break away at exactly 90 degrees or it will continue to adjust slightly.

These are just a few initial observations I have come up with after testing the touch controllers out for a bit, perhaps some of my issues are that I am simply missing something that someone may be able to point out. Other than that, I think the FlyInside software overall is great and the touch implementation seems for the most part very well done and certainly is making my experience more immersive. I am looking forward to see what improvements and changes are made in future updates regarding the touch support.
ente

Postby Tony » Tue May 02, 2017 3:08 pm

All valid points/wishes. Will be passed on to the devs for future consideration :)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Revo » Thu May 25, 2017 2:21 pm

I bought the touch as soon as I found out that FlyInside supports it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Aerosoft A320 or most other planes I have. All buttons are shifted so it's impossible to program the FMC, etc...
Revo

Postby Tony » Thu May 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Revo wrote:I bought the touch as soon as I found out that FlyInside supports it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with Aerosoft A320 or most other planes I have. All buttons are shifted so it's impossible to program the FMC, etc...

Have a read of this post, it may or may not help you ? ============ viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5547
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to Oculus Rift CV1