Interacting with the cockpit

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Interacting with the cockpit

Postby flibberflops » Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 am

Hi,
I like to start by saying that I have been using flyinside since the early days and have nothing put pure respect for the Dev. But....

I am a little frustrated that this product is so far down the developement and yet for me I find any (for the four) interaction methods with the 3D cockpit to be a bit poor. I have been sitting siliently waiting for some refinements on these interactions but yet to see anything I would call fluid.

This is my experience using P3d.

Leap motion

No fault of the Dev, I think the hardware/concept itself is rather poor. I have one. I keep it in the back of a drawer!

Touch

I know this is early days, but I find it to be very clunky.

1) The whole concept of using a touch and yoke doesn't really work.
2) you have to a lot of tap buttons like made to move them (no slide option)
3) finger accuracy on dials (at 4k) is really tricky.
4) i feel like "Brother Lee"

Flyinside control dot

1) Menu pop's up right in front of your face. Yeah you can move it, switch it off... but it defaults back to right in front of your face.
2) The popup <x> is masive (in 4k). And annoyingly they don't fade away over time so you can end up several.
3) You can't assign buttons (e.g. on yoke) to scroll up/down when selected.
3) Doesn't work on all controls (and it isn't clear if it doesn't work or you are just clicking on the wrong place).

Mouse

(My prefered option because you can use the mouse wheel to scroll)

1) Mouse pointer and click finger way to big in 4K
2) I would like tooltips on... but again way to big in 4K

pop up windows

1) They default to in you face (even when you play a new game after moving them)
2) Although moving and resizing is implemented it is really clunky. Trying to get a window moved and the right size takes far too much time and effort
3) You can easily accidently move a window to outside the aircraft and then need to do yoga to try and see the menu bar again to move it again
3) When P3D virtual windows popup you have to close them both on flyinside and on the 2D screen?

I really loving flyinside but these interation issues really make me pull my hair out!

What are everyone elses thoughts?
flibberflops

Re: Interacting with the cockpit

Postby slipstream » Sat May 27, 2017 12:03 am

Agreed. Unusable I'd say. Really frustrated that nothing has been done so far to improve the overall experience of interacting with the likes of the NGX. I cannot resize the FMC for example, if I try the program crashes. The cursor will sometimes disappear and will take me 30 secs or so to get it back. Other times it follows my head movements. Very erratic to say the least. Very disappointed.
slipstream

Return to Oculus Rift CV1