How to remap joystick buttons for left/right mouse

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

How to remap joystick buttons for left/right mouse

Postby jimdrozeck » Sun May 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Here's a neat little trick for those are are looking to remap joystick buttons so that it can function like left & right mouse buttons. First go download the latest version of AutoHotKey

https://autohotkey.com/download/2.0/

After you extract this, you'll notice it doesn't do anything yet since there are no script files. So open up notepad or Wordpad & create a file called Myscript.ahk. Inside of it place the following two lines:

Joy5:: Click, right
Joy6:: Click, left

Once you've saved the file, you can execute it by simply dropping it onto the program (I use AutoHotKeyU64.exe). I also open up the task manager (CTRL ALT DEL >> Task Manager), so that I can easily kill the process when I want).

This works for my joystick, a Saitek AV8R, mapping one of the buttons at the top to the left mouse button, and another to right mouse button. So now you can turns knobs to the left & right.

Of course you'll have to figure out which Joy_x correspond to the buttons you want to use. So start out with something like this:

Joy1:: Click, right
Joy2:: Click, left
Joy3:: Click, right
Joy4:: Click, left
Joy5:: Click, right
Joy6:: Click, left
Joy7:: Click, right
Joy8:: Click, left

Click the button you want to map to left mouse. If it does something (try to use it to open a new browser tab for instance, dont start in FlyInside), then its one of the entries listed. You just need to eliminate lines until you get what you want.

I just started using this, there's probably alot of complexity that could be added to maximize use but I dont have the time right now, maybe something that better at this than me can pick it up.....

Cheers, Jim

PS for those having trouble reading the instruments, make liberal use of the zoom function. I set my zoom to be ~200% or more for changing knobs, freqs, etc and then jump out of zoom afterwards
PS2 There's a super nice user help file in one of the versions (AutoHotKey.chm), if the version you downloaded doesn't have it, download the next to latest version until you get it
jimdrozeck

Return to Oculus Rift CV1