Just cant seem to get my instrument panel clear - blurry

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Just cant seem to get my instrument panel clear - blurry

Postby btp32 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Using Oculus Rift and FlyInside with Xplane 11. My instrument panel is blurry. I can make out the basics of the whats going on but it is not as clear as it should be as if I was flying without VR. I have to look really closely or zoom in to get accurate readings. Does anyoen have any suggestions on how to get instrument panel clear?
btp32

Re: Just cant seem to get my instrument panel clear - blurry

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:23 am

Are you new to the cv1 and it's limitations? Try binding a joystick button to the zoom function.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby helgeras » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 am

The resolution of the current generation of VR glasses does not compare to what you can get on screen, so unfortuntely you will have to live with a certain blurryness.

For me the extra immersion in VR makes up for the lower quality of the view, others just cannot live with the lower quality.

Here are some links that may help you set up X-Plane and Fly-Inside, but no matter what, you will not be able to get a view that looks like your screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Kheeb8mdk
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fo ... -thoughts/
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/fo ... l-density/

Hope this helps,
Helge
FSX-SE and X-Plane 11 running on Windows 10 64 bit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Joystick and Throttle, Microsoft Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2.
Oculus CV1 with Geforce GTX 1080 and i7-7700k 4.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM
helgeras

Postby Greyman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:17 am

The current generation of VR headsets are not up to the resolution, hence clarity, levels of the latest monitors, but to get the best out of them, you will need to make sure that it is properly adjusted. Also, if you are short-sighted and do not wear glasses/contacts when using the Rift, that will not help the clarity.

That being said, as suggested above, there might still be a need to lean in and/or map a zoom button/key or use the mouse wheel to help. Oh and the higher FI resolutions might help too, as long as your PC has the necessary grunt.
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby NavajoOne » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am

Try adjusting FlyInside's FOV Overdraw setting. Bring it all the way down to 50%; this will sharpen the picture to the point where you will see things in the cockpit that you've never seen before. Instruments will be clear and sharp and you will see the texture of the cockpit surfaces, plus you'll be able to make out individual circuit breakers. But now the downside: 50% is such a narrow field of vision that it will seem as if you are flying around while wearing a welding mask. So from here the trick is to start increasing the FOV Overdraw setting until you've reached an acceptable balance of sharpness and field of vision. For me, 85% works well; the picture sharp with a FOV that is slightly narrow.

X-Plane 11
Oculus DK2
FlyInside 1.81
X-Plane 11.02r2
FlyInside 1.81
Oculus DK2
Windows 10 Pro
Saitek X52
NavajoOne

Return to Oculus Rift CV1