Low FPS With Decent COMP

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Low FPS With Decent COMP

Postby clockwork » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have an rift and am using fly inside with P3Dv4. Great fun playing in VR, but I am having trouble with FPS in VR. I have gone through and turned all the game settings down as low as they will go and I can only get about 20fps in VR. I then turn the settings up and add orbx in and still only get 20fps. Doesn't seem to go much lower but never any higher. Obviously it is not too comfortable when playing. Hoping to get this up a bit. Below are my specs.

CPU: i7-2600K
GPU: GTX 1070 Ti
16GB RAM
SSD for OS and Game

When in game my CPU and GPU seem to sit around 25% load. The only time I see anything higher than that is when the game is loading which it will start to peak out both. Not sure what is going on. Thanks ahead of time for the help.
clockwork

Re: Low FPS With Decent COMP

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:01 am

Your CPU is a "little" weak......still capable though. Have you tried everything on low and work up to see what happens as a test ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby clockwork » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 am

Hi Tony,

Yeah it is an older CPU. I did try lowering all of the settings but still no any gain in FPS. The odd thing is the CPU seems to be only around 20-25% used. Does P3D only use one core or is it capable of using all 4 cores? My video card is also only showing about 25% load. Shouldn't it be close to maxing both out?

I can try OC my CPU if you think that will help. I have had it OCed to 4.5Ghz in the past without any issues.
clockwork

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Try this link to try some tweaks = https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5145 ... nt-3664169

P3d should use all cores, plus you could try process lasso to help, there is a free trial version plus ensure you don't have the slider in p3d set to 20 fps, try setting it to unlimited.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby clockwork » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Tony,

Sounds good. I will give lasso a shot tonight. I will also try to get you some screen shots tonight as well to see if you see something obvious I messed up.

I have tried setting the FPS to 30 and all the way up to unlimited, but it does not seem to want to go much above 20 fps.
clockwork

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:42 pm

I'm sure this happened to me once but for the life of me I cannot remember what I did to fix the issue......have you tried saving or deleting your p3d.cfg and let p3d rebuild ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby clockwork » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Tony,

I have not tried that yet. I will give that a shot tonight as well. I did try using the "Reset Settings" inside of P3d which did not help, but that might be different compared to deleting the configuration file.

A couple other things I forgot to put in my original post. I am using the A2A C172 and the Flight1 GTN650 GPS. Could either of those be causing it?
clockwork

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes most definitely mate,they are both resource hogs. Have you tried any stock aircraft for comparison?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby clockwork » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi Tony,

Alright, so I did limited testing last night and I believe I came to the same conclusion you did on the first post. My CPU is a bit slow :)

1) I first tried a stock P3d plane (piper cub) and was able to get up to about 27fps.

2) Then I delete my config file and it bumped up to about 30fps with the piper cub.

3) Then I overclocked my CPU to about 4.2Ghz and the piper cub fps went to about 43fps.

That being said my CPU usage is only at about 50% during game play and video card is still only at about 25-30%. I am using the windows task manager to get those numbers so maybe the are not accurate. Any idea how to speed things up a bit more or should I look at investing in a new MB/RAM/CPU? I looked last night on and it looks like the Intel 8700K might be a good option and not just ridiculously expensive.

One thing I am going to do tonight is try setting the Affinity Mask tweak to see if that helps. Seems like a good idea in theory.
clockwork

Postby Tony » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 am

I have a 6700K but would love the newer cpu's.......I'd never tell anyone to buy a new pc but if your budget is there, well........ :)

Let me know how the mask trick works, also have you tried process lasso ?
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Next

Return to Oculus Rift CV1